Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How to ----Match a manual to a black box release variant

Sep 09 at 4:08:26 PM
VelvetElf (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Is there an easy way to match the right manual with the correct black box release variant?  I've seen a few IMPs from Wata (incorrectly matched parts) - and wondered how someone would truly know what the correct manual is if they were trying to piece together a CIB.  

Thanks!

-------------------------
ISO NES sealed games.  Current targets = Tyson 

Sep 09 at 8:07:55 PM
FooFghtrs33 (12)

(Joe Kaminski) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I am curious to see peoples replies here. I have been confused on the WATA manuals for the sticker seals. For instance, I have seen the same Super Mario Bros. matte sticker box have " Round SOQ, Printed in Japan, No Code, No Year" for the manual. I have also seen the same game, box, but the manual has a Year (1985) manual but it is not listed as an IMP (it says " Round SOQ, Printed in Japan, No Code, Year"). I have seen the same thing on other matte sticker boxes, as well as seen some gloss sticker boxes graded and paired with "no year" and "year" manuals. The problem I am having is I am pretty convinced the No Year manual should go to the Matte boxes, but am not 100% sure. I have a matte Super Mario Bros and a glossy Super Mario Bros I wanted to get graded. I have an average "No Year" manual, and a mint "Year" Manual. I am wondering if I should just pair the better manual with the matte box to raise the grade seeing as the "No year" are impossible to find and they aren't listed as IMPS.

To answer your question more directly, with Super Mario Bros (1985) as an example, I am under the impression there are 4 manuals. 1) A round SOQ with NO Year. 2) a Round SOQ with Year. 3) Oval Seal with a code 4) Oval Seal * Code. From there, 1 would go with Matte Sticker only. 2 Would go with Matte Sticker, evidently, until they changed the seal to Oval. 3 to all the oval seals. 4 to the * codes. Thats as far as I can get with my research and reviewing WATA graded black box games on auctions and instagram.

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 08:11 PM by FooFghtrs33

Sep 09 at 8:41:13 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: FooFghtrs33

I am curious to see peoples replies here. I have been confused on the WATA manuals for the sticker seals. For instance, I have seen the same Super Mario Bros. matte sticker box have " Round SOQ, Printed in Japan, No Code, No Year" for the manual. I have also seen the same game, box, but the manual has a Year (1985) manual but it is not listed as an IMP (it says " Round SOQ, Printed in Japan, No Code, Year"). I have seen the same thing on other matte sticker boxes, as well as seen some gloss sticker boxes graded and paired with "no year" and "year" manuals. The problem I am having is I am pretty convinced the No Year manual should go to the Matte boxes, but am not 100% sure. I have a matte Super Mario Bros and a glossy Super Mario Bros I wanted to get graded. I have an average "No Year" manual, and a mint "Year" Manual. I am wondering if I should just pair the better manual with the matte box to raise the grade seeing as the "No year" are impossible to find and they aren't listed as IMPS.

To answer your question more directly, with Super Mario Bros (1985) as an example, I am under the impression there are 4 manuals. 1) A round SOQ with NO Year. 2) a Round SOQ with Year. 3) Oval Seal with a code 4) Oval Seal * Code. From there, 1 would go with Matte Sticker only. 2 Would go with Matte Sticker, evidently, until they changed the seal to Oval. 3 to all the oval seals. 4 to the * codes. Thats as far as I can get with my research and reviewing WATA graded black box games on auctions and instagram.

I'm pretty positive you'd get an IMP of you went "yes" year manual with Matte sticker box. It "should" be the no year manual.

-------------------------
I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!