Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Important information regarding video threads what is and isn't allowed while posting a new thread with video

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:41:50 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Creating a new thread for the soul purpose of sharing a YouTube video / other internet video is no longer allowed. Please post all videos/channels/etc that you wish to share in one of these two threads:

YouTube channel thread:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Funny/cool/OMG/WTF/etc videos here:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

There are a few cases where a thread created with a video are acceptable. If you are unsure if a thread you want to make with a video is OK, please use these guidelines:

-The video must enhance what the thread is about. People should not have to watch the video in order to understand what is going on or appreciate what you are trying to share.

-The thread must be able to function with out a video. Look at it this way, if you were to remove the video/video description from your post and your thread no longer makes sense, then it should not be made.

-If sharing a video you made for your collection or something else video game related you must also provide information in TEXT and/or pictures. Posting "Check out my collection/video game related subject" with a video link only is not acceptable.

-If you have a video channel already listed in the "YouTube Channel" thread, creating a new thread to share your current video is NOT allowed, regardless of what additional information you provide.

Moderators still have the right to lock/delete any thread we see fit, regardless if you think they are within the guidelines or not. We also have the right to allow a thread to stay open for any reason we see fit. Do not get upset if your thread gets locked. Remember, this is only the internet and things should not be taken so seriously. We are all here to have a good time.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:27:41 PM
##### (15)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Australian Capital Territory
If I am selling something in the sellers forum is it ok to include a link to a video of what I am selling if I also include pictures of the item in the thread?

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:46:40 PM
Mog (140)
Yes, you can post what ever videos you want in your FS thread, as long as it pertains to video game stuff you have for sale.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:03:04 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
I approve of this.

-------------------------
youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:25:42 PM
Kujasauce (84)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Missouri
I am fine with this completely, but is there any reason for the update? Why is this not allowed?

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:54:44 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Cool, like this idea. Keeps everything organized IMO.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:41:57 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
What about threads posting movie trailers? If for example you wanted to start a thread about a new movie with a link to a youtube video of the trailer to the movie. If it's not your creator content or channel, is it still acceptable to post links to trailers via youtube since you more or less want to discuss a particular movie in just one thread?

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:16:38 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: Kujasauce

I am fine with this completely, but is there any reason for the update? Why is this not allowed?

Because all of a sudden the forums became overran with threads that contained nothing but a video link.

Originally posted by: SamSpade

What about threads posting movie trailers? If for example you wanted to start a thread about a new movie with a link to a youtube video of the trailer to the movie. If it's not your creator content or channel, is it still acceptable to post links to trailers via youtube since you more or less want to discuss a particular movie in just one thread?

Sure, talk about new movies, games, whatever is fine, as long as the threads are not something like "OMG CHECK OUT THIS MOVIE!!!11" with only a video link. 

This type of thing would fall under these guidelines:

Originally posted by: Mog

-The video must enhance what the thread is about. People should not have to watch the video in order to understand what is going on or appreciate what you are trying to share.

-The thread must be able to function with out a video. Look at it this way, if you were to remove the video/video description from your post and your thread no longer makes sense, then it should not be made.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:06:42 PM
RetroHungry (31)
(CJ Cruz) < Crack Trooper >
California
I just want to be sure. Lets say I'm posting in the Finders Keepers thread. Is it okay to attach a video link along with pictures and a short description? The video link would be an optional way to view the find. Thanks

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:18:15 PM
ScumBum (8)
(Your Mother) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
What about if I post a video of an NES game playthrough ?

Like this one http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 07:19 PM by ScumBum

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:14:56 AM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Who can forget the good old days of the alirazavideogames you tube links

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:32:00 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Kind-of related, but a lot of forums can automatically embed videos when a supported link is inserted, or also have an option for a media or embed tag. Is it possible to embed a youtube video on NintendoAge?

Otherwise, it gets a little annoying when people post a video link just to show a 3-4 second one-liner like "OMG" or "Dude, that's freakkin' sweet!" when a simple graphic or text would suffice. You know who you are...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:39:53 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Didn't notice this until now. I have an ongoing video thread about the best VG music covers on youtube: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

It's old, and last update was in september, but I planned to keep updating... Is it acceptable, or will I just have to forget about it?

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:14:57 AM
Mog (140)
To all questions above, just read the 4 guidelines in the first post. If it fits within them, then yes its fine. If not the thread will simply get locked, which isn't the end of the world.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:21:37 PM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Great idea and all, but check out this YouTube video!!...
Kidding.

Happy New Year to everyone on NA.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:00:54 AM
Super Slash (0)
(Jesse Winstead) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
I don't really like this. I understand that threads that just contain a video link and nothing else are annoying, but I also see a problem with having to contain all of your videos in one thread.

- Most people that aren't regulars/veterans here at NA probably won't even notice the thread, meaning more people will miss the video you posted and also post threads with their own video links anyway.

- I'd imagine that most of the time, roughly half of the videos will go completely unnoticed, making it a big waste of time to even post them. It may also make people feel like they're being ignored.

That's just my two cents. I know my opinion won't change anything but hey, forums are for opinions.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:01:07 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Super Slash

I don't really like this. I understand that threads that just contain a video link and nothing else are annoying, but I also see a problem with having to contain all of your videos in one thread.

- Most people that aren't regulars/veterans here at NA probably won't even notice the thread, meaning more people will miss the video you posted and also post threads with their own video links anyway.

- I'd imagine that most of the time, roughly half of the videos will go completely unnoticed, making it a big waste of time to even post them. It may also make people feel like they're being ignored.

That's just my two cents. I know my opinion won't change anything but hey, forums are for opinions.
I agree to be honest. I think the rules should more or less be directed at those who are promoting their own channels. You find some really cool video or something that really interests you where you specifically want to talk about just that, it's a same that the option now is much more limiting. I feel that alot of really cool stuff is gonna be lost on most people which is a real shame. It's understandable though, so many people use this site to promote their videos nowadays and alot of them are very much the same.

On the other side of the coin. There are some awesome youtubers out there with great channels and I do think that are deserving of their own threads since they are well presented video content that can spark some good topic discussion.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:14:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
^^^ Yeah... I really don't see the need for clamping down on this.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:10:50 PM
Tighe (0)
(Tighe Lory) < Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: spoonman

Great idea and all, but check out this YouTube video!!...
Kidding.

Happy New Year to everyone on NA.
Well Spoonman I just got bit by this. I posted a video and got it locked promptly. 

Arcade Games: Propcycle | Marvel Vs Capcom | Galaga | Neo Geo MVS | Mortal Kombat | Street Fighter Alpha (board) | Double Dragon (board) | Marvel Vs Capcom (board)
MVS Carts: Spinmaster | Samurai Shodown | Samurai Shodown 3 | Puzzle Bobble | 120-in-1 Multi Cart

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47:08 AM
aupton (11)
(aupton aupton) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
Curious what triggered this pet peeve? Is this concern driven over database resources or the fact that the moderator(s) simply don't like it and that's the root reason? I mean the additional 64k or less in your database for each topic which grows minimally as people comment can't really be that much of a burden on the servers resources ? If storage of the database entries is a concern they can be compressed as they hit a certain age and uncompressed on the fly if the old post is ever queried.

Tighe's videos are a great example. He creates some great videos and people like to discuss them. Prohibiting level of community interaction seems counterproductive and possibly spiteful.

I'm all for following the rules, but if its possible I also like to understand where and why they are created. If this is simply a "because I said so moment" then.. so be it

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:05:22 AM
RetroHacker (15)

(Ian Primus) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Personally, I *HATE* YouTube videos. Hate. Hate. Hate. It's one thing if it's something that needs to be a video - but 95% of the time people just post a link to a video and it's them talking at the camera about something. Trying to point the camera at a game cartridge to show it off. And all because they're too bloody lazy to type it up and post photographs. Seriously - a book review? Does NOT need to be a video. What peeves me even more, is that they won't tell you what it's about, so you have to go look at the video to see what the hell it is.

I strongly support the policy here, and I'm very glad it's in place. Really helps to prevent the site getting bogged down with worthless threads. Nothing is more frustrating than clicking on a thread that sounds interesting, only to have it be a single YouTube link. Click "Back", go find something else.

-Ian

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:13:50 PM
NDubs306 (31)
(Machine Games TX) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Question: I just posted a YouTube M.u.s.h.a. Contest Give Away to kick off 2013 and give back to the community who's helped build my channel, but I want to inform NA in a separate thread so it can be discussed as it's own entity... The rules will be listed clearly in the post and it would function as a stand alone thread with the exception that you would need to respond with your answer within the youtube channel itself to be entered to win. I don't want to break any of the rules but want this to have its own home due to the desire to reach out to as many NA members as possible. This is just a big thank you to everyone who has been subscribed and watching and some added fun for the community to participate in.

Because this is a mix between NA and a YT contest give away, I wanted to get some feedback on where I should create this thread and the rules on doing so.. thank you!

WTB DKC Competition Cart + Box / Insert  
WTB Nintendo PlayChoice 10 Games 
WTB Nintendo World Championship Memorabilia / Extras / Anything NWC 1990 
                    (ie, Jumpsuit, Stickers, Shirts, Hats, Flyers, Adds, Trophy's, Plaque's, Bags, Promos)

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:59:01 PM
Jae (15)
(Jarrett Riley) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Hey guys! I make cartoons and am about to start reviewing old games too! Check me out

I love this forum!!!

Edited: 01/25/2013 at 02:15 PM by NintendoAge Moderator