Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A real mobile version

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:36:12 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I enjoy this site and the forums, but they are difficult to use on my iPhone. I have been struggling along with it for a while and even tested the mobile version of the site.

Then I checked out atariage for the first time in years. Wow. Now that is what I call a "mobile version". I don't know what software they use for their forums, but it is amazing. It's like an HTML app! If I showed someone that without letting them check what app was running, they would think it was an iphone native app and not just html.

Maybe someday?

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:59:33 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Link to what you saw at AtariAge? There forums are down for me.

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:42:27 PM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Zing

I enjoy this site and the forums, but they are difficult to use on my iPhone. I have been struggling along with it for a while and even tested the mobile version of the site.

Then I checked out atariage for the first time in years. Wow. Now that is what I call a "mobile version". I don't know what software they use for their forums, but it is amazing. It's like an HTML app! If I showed someone that without letting them check what app was running, they would think it was an iphone native app and not just html.

Maybe someday?

Maybe if you want to pay for someone to do the coding at  say at minimum 30 dollars an hour.  That's probably a good idea!  Why don't you be happy for what NA provides and quit your bitching, if you haven't noticed this is FREE.  If your using your phone to connect to NA man, you have too much time on your hands for realz.  Why not try the following remedies:

A. Enjoy life cause its short
B. Date a chick besides your Iphone
C. See A & B

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:52:21 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I would like to point out the disconnect between "having too much time on your hands" and trying to access the site via a mobile device. The mere fact that someone is trying to use the site via mobile implies that they actually do not have much time to spend on a desktop computer.

I see that the AA forums are down. I'll give an example when they come back. I haven't seen anything like it for any forums with my short experience using an iPhone. I hope in a few years this will be commonplace. The era of touch computing will make most sites, with their tiny buttons and other small elements, feel too klunky to use without a redesign.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:05:27 PM
ViceProjectDoom (70)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: SKULLDEATH9000

Maybe someday?

Maybe if you want to pay for someone to do the coding at  say at minimum 30 dollars an hour.  That's probably a good idea!  Why don't you be happy for what NA provides and quit your bitching, if you haven't noticed this is FREE.  If your using your phone to connect to NA man, you have too much time on your hands for realz.  Why not try the following remedies:

A. Enjoy life cause its short
B. Date a chick besides your Iphone
C. See A & B

What is this bull shit?  The guy is just offering a suggestion which is what this section is for. 

I have to agree with him as I travel a LOT for work, but still enjoy catching up on NES action.  The site doesn't display well on my blackberry.  The main concern i have is the logo on the left side takes up all the realestate.  Maybe if there was a way to access without Link showing up?

Love the site and love the suggestions.  After all they are only suggestions.......chill out man

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:11:58 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
There is an option to disable that logo on the left.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:20:39 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

I have been struggling along with it for a while and even tested the mobile version of the site.

Is there something you think is missing from mobile.nintendoage.com?  Or too much info so its still crowded?

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:05:48 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
@Skull -- he's just asking, so let's not hammer the guy for making an honest and valid suggestion.

We can easily makes changes to the current mobile version, just offer up any ideas you have. I do understand what you're suggesting about having a dedicated mobile site (one that is properly tooled for smaller devices), but I can't really justify the time spent on it when there are other fish to fry, at least not at this moment.

Now, if anyone who is a CSS expert that wants to help out (you don't need to know ColdFusion), I'd LOVE to have some help with this. Any takers?

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:25:00 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

I have been struggling along with it for a while and even tested the mobile version of the site.

Is there something you think is missing from mobile.nintendoage.com?  Or too much info so its still crowded?

Clickable links are too close together for touch screens. For example, trying to click the "next page" icon requires an extreme zoom in, then careful finger touch.

When I didn't know any better, I just thought it was an inconvenience. Now that I have experienced an "html app", it's hard to go back. Not that I am a hardcore atariage user. I only signed up to send a PM to a user about something they were selling. But it is a welcome sight for an iPhone user.

Atariage uses the invision message board software. It's hard to believe that is still alive and well. It feels like Invision has been around since, well, when message boards were first made popular.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:45:15 PM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
My favorite of all mobile sites i've ever seen is the mobile version of NHL.com... now the National Hockey League knows how to get me In and get me scores/articles about my team on my android.

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:49:15 AM
HeartOfDavid (61)
(David Clark) < El Ripper >
Louisiana
I wish I knew more about coding, Dain, and I would give as much time as I could to help out NA. I have run across this site a couple of times that other forums use. It's called Tapatalk and it's a plugin that is installed on the server side. I don't know if it's compatible with the software you use for the forum, but I wanted to at least get the information out. The only reason I even know about it is that I've come across some forums that use it. When I get to the forum on mobile safari, it tells me that the site uses it and I can download the app on my iphone. The link is below if you wanted to look into it (and it looks like it's free, unless there's a catch I'm missing).

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.ph...

For the longest time, I've said that Christ died FOR us. The truth is, He died INSTEAD of us!

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:22:59 AM
kcsims (16)
(Kevin Sims) < Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
What about the live chat from tiny chat, any chance of having a way to access the chat from an iPhone/iPad?

Edited: 03/26/2011 at 12:23 AM by kcsims

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:45:14 AM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
When it supports flash. I doubt they'll make a client just for it, that'd take forever.

Edited: 03/26/2011 at 12:45 AM by removed04092017

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:05:05 AM
kcsims (16)
(Kevin Sims) < Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
Never mind, it actually works with iswifter for the iPhone/iPad.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:27:47 PM
SF78 (3)

(Simon Templar) < Tourian Tourist >
Finland
Originally posted by: Microwave

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

Any news on this one? It's pretty common these days (digitpress, AtariAge, Neo-Geo Forums etc.). It seems that NA is one of the few gaming related sites that doesn't offer this option (is it even possible to implement this?).

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:45:07 PM
HeartOfDavid (61)
Louisiana
I actually have a brother in law that bought tapatalk to use on his iphone and I browsed all of the sites that you could use through it. It's pretty slick!

For the longest time, I've said that Christ died FOR us. The truth is, He died INSTEAD of us!

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:01:50 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: SF78

http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

Any news on this one? It's pretty common these days (digitpress, AtariAge, Neo-Geo Forums etc.). It seems that NA is one of the few gaming related sites that doesn't offer this option (is it even possible to implement this?).

Tapatalk doesn't support this forum.

I started building one, however, a few weeks ago. I'll try and finish it up soon.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:04:46 PM
HeartOfDavid (61)
Louisiana
No pressure, bro, I know that you're busy. I do appreciate all that you do, though!

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:55:09 AM
SF78 (3)

(Simon Templar) < Tourian Tourist >
Finland
Originally posted by: Dain

Tapatalk doesn't support this forum.

I started building one, however, a few weeks ago. I'll try and finish it up soon.

That's excellent news! I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate the effort.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:55:30 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Clickable links are too close together for touch screens. For example, trying to click the "next page" icon requires an extreme zoom in, then careful finger touch.

I am currently using the Nintendo 3DS web browser right now, which also utilizes a touch screen, and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever clicking the small links and navigation buttons with the stylus.

EDIT: However, posting messages on 3DS is a pain. If I hit "preview", I get stuck with a black page with no text and no links. Then I have no choice but to hit "back" and I lose my entire progress. Also, I hit "send" and also get served another blank page with no links back to view my post or the thread, but the message post was still successful???

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 09/17/2011 at 10:22 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:55:55 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
[deleted]

Edited: 09/17/2011 at 10:05 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:56:06 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Edit: sorry for the multiple post, I hit the "send" button on the 3ds browser and I get stuck with a blank page that I can't get out of. I hit "refresh" twice by mistake. How do I delete my posts? Where's the "delete" button?

Edited: 09/17/2011 at 10:04 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:02:16 AM
HeartOfDavid (61)
Louisiana
As evidenced by your triple post? HAHAHAHA

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:22:18 AM
ampplays (78)
(Arron Petersen) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Why can I reply to posts on my iPad & iphone but not reply to pm's or use the quote function?

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:46:37 PM
Ic3M4n (16)
(I B GONE) < Meka Chicken >
New York

As evidenced by your triple post? HAHAHAHA

Yea LOL no problems at all.