Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Paperboy Contest ends Sunday, 7/17/16 at 11 PM NA time

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:57:34 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  It’s your old pal Billy Lee again and I just can’t thank you all enough for the help you have provided me this year.  Not only did you help get my girlfriend back from my brother, Jimmy, but you helped out my good buds, the Battletoads, stop the Dark Queen from her nefarious scheme.  Heck, you even helped me whoop those Abobos at golf!  Yeah…we aren’t even going to mention the baseball match.  Anyway, things are pretty slow around the Lee Bros. Karate Dojo this week, so I figured I would tell you all a story.  It’s time for me to take you back to the past…and NOT to play the shitty games that suck ass.  I want to take you back to when I was a teenager, and before the whole Q-Bert incident happened at Neo City High School.  We are going back to the summer when I turned 14 and just before I entered high school.  We are going back to when I got my first job.

I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was the summer of 19XX and Jimmy and I were looking to earn some money to buy the new series of Nintendo trading cards and also have a little bit left over to go hang out at the Neon Night Riders Arcade.  Jimmy was able to find a job right away mowing lawns and doing yard work around town, but I was unsuccessful.  I spent days searching the “Help Wanted” section in the newspaper, but couldn’t find anything I was qualified for, let alone interesting.  The job offers included things like “Come be Little Mac’s trainer down at the local gym.  Experienced boxers only.”  There was also “New assistant needed at Dr. Acula’s Blood Bank.  Must be willing to work nights, have a clean neck, and not eat garlic.  No crucifixes allowed.  Apply in person.”  Oh, and how could I forget “New chef wanted at Burger Time Café.  Call during normal business hours and ask for Chef Peter Pepper.  Must be willing to work long hours, deal with grumpy hot dogs and eggs on a regular basis, and not be allergic to pepper.”  And then there was “New wing-mate needed for Starfox Squadron.  Must enjoy intergalactic travel and be an experienced starfighter pilot.  Must provide own Ar-Wing.  Call Fox McCloud at 555-FOXX.”  Like, dude, I was 14 years old.  There’s no way I could work midnights, I wasn’t an experienced boxer, I didn’t own my own Ar-Wing (let alone know what one was), and I certainly didn’t want to have to deal with grumpy hot dogs…whatever that meant.  The only experience I’ve ever had with hot dogs was that one time where I ate too many of them and had a stomachache the next day (trust me, I will never do that again).  Just when I thought I would never find a job, one jumped out of the pages right at me: “Local paperboy wanted.  Great wages.  Apply downtown.  Teenage boys only.  Must provide own bicycle.  Immediate interviews.”  I had never been so excited in my life…well, that Christmas I got my Super Nintendo along with Bonestorm was pretty cool (man, I can’t tell you how many times I got in trouble for saying “Buy me Bonestorm…or go to Hell."  Anyway, I threw on my lucky karate vest and ran out the door for my very first job interview.

I sat in the main hallway outside the local newspaper’s editor’s office for what seemed like an eternity waiting for my interview when another applicant showed up…in fact, he was the only other person who showed up for the job…the neighborhood bully, Bo Abobo!  I didn’t really know him at the time (trust me, I would REALLY get to know him later in life), but I knew he was bad news.  He lived over on the rough side of town and used to like to come over to my side of town to pick on some of the kids.  He would throw rocks at them while they rode their bikes, give Super Atomic Wedgies and Wet Willys, push kids in the mud, steal their baseball cards, lunch money, Nintendo games, and even their Nintendo Power magazines (oh, I would have my sweet revenge with this and take HIS Nintendo Power magazine…but you guys already knew that), throw water balloons at girls, hide in the bushes and soak people with a Super Soaker, and pin kids to the ground and fart in their faces.  Gah, that’s so gross!  And that isn’t even the tip of the iceberg!  Anyway, Bo Abobo plops down on the bench next to me, the wooden seat groaning under his heavy weight.  “Hey, wimp” he said to me with a big grin on his face.  “Are you applying for the paperboy job, too?”  I swallowed nervously, afraid to say something that might result in me getting a Wedgie, Noogie, or Wet Willy (hey, cut me some slack.  This was my first encounter with the kid).  “Uh…uh…yeah” was all I could sputter out of my trembling mouth.  The grin on Bo Abobo’s face got wider as he wrapped his arm around my neck, putting me in a beastly headlock.  “Guess what, wimp” he taunted as he tightened his grip.  “I’m gonna get that job and you’re not.”  Before I could even utter a sound or cry for help, the door to the editor’s office thrust open with a mighty whoosh and a woman with horned-rimmed glasses and a beehive hairdo stood before us.  “The boss will see you both now” she replied in a nasally voice.  Her eyes lowered when she noticed Bo Abobo’s arm around my neck.  “Is there a problem out here” she asked.  Bo Abobo lessened his grip on my neck and put his arm around my shoulder like we were best friends.  “Nope, not at all” he lied as he clapped me on the back hard.  I winced in pain and held back a cough as Bo Abobo stood up from the bench and walked toward the office.  He turned back to me, a sly smile on his face.  “Come on, wimp” he taunted.  “What are you waiting for?  Me to get the job?”  Bo Abobo chuckled loudly to himself as I stood up from the bench and followed him into the office.

Seated across from us in the small and stuffy editor’s office was the editor of the newspaper himself and boy was he one tough looking dude!  He had this really muscular physique, as if he had been in the Army for years and years.  He had dark brown hair except for his sideburns, which were a light-gray color.  He had an eyepatch across one part of his battle-hardened face and chomped on a recently lit cigar.  The name placard on the front of his desk read “Big Boss.”  He slammed his hand down suddenly on the desk, startling us both.  He removed it slowly to reveal a smashed fly in his palm.  He casually shook his hand toward a trashcan next to the desk and the smashed fly corpse disappeared into the receptacle.  “Damn flies.  Where’s Kermit the Frog or Frogger or Genghis Frog when you need them?  Anyway, the name is Big Boss, but you guys can call me ‘Big Boss’” the man replied in a gravelly voice as he took a large puff from his cigar and propped his feet up on his desk.  Bo Abobo and I shot each other confused glances at his stupid reply.  “So, you both want to be paperboys, huh” Big Boss said as he tapped ashes from his cigar into a nearby ashtray.  We both sat there speechless, waiting for him to say more.  “Well, DO ya or DON’T ya” he shouted as he leaned forward in his chair and pounded his fist on the desk.  Bo Abobo and I both jumped, not expecting the gruff reply from the intimidating man sitting in front of us.  “Um…uh…um…uh…yes…yes, we do” the two of us sputtered, unsure of what Big Boss wanted us to say.  A small smile spread across his face as he leaned back in his chair and took a hearty puff from his cigar.  “That’s what I thought” he answered.  “Being a paperboy isn’t an easy job.  You have to get up early every morning, be to work on time every single day, work in rainy or hot conditions, get more exercise than you’re both probably used to, and deal with all kinds of hazards.  You will NOT call in to work sick, you will NOT screw around while on your delivery route, and you will NOT damage any property with your newspapers.  With that in mind, do you both still want to take the job?”  Bo Abobo and I just sat there, unsure of what to say.  Big Boss immediately jumped forward in his chair, leaning his face across the desk as he continued to chomp on his cigar.  “Did I stutter or something?  Do you little punks want the job or not” he screamed as he pushed his face in our direction, sweat run down his face as his forehead turned a beet-red color.  Bo Abobo and I struggled to find an answer that would satisfy the angry man in front of us.  I glanced over at my rival and noticed that he was shaking a bit.  I couldn’t help but smile a little bit at the sight of a bully getting intimidated by someone a lot tougher than him.  “Yes, absolutely” we both shouted in unison like a couple of Marines answering a drill sergeant.  Big Boss smiled once again as he leaned back in his chair, this time placing his hands behind his head.  “That’s what I thought” he replied as he blew a couple smoke rings into the air.  “You both start on Monday.  Be here at 6 AM sharp or you won’t have a job.  Bring your own bikes or you won’t have a job.  The job is very simple: deliver a newspaper to each one of your subscribers or face the consequences.  Miss delivering too many papers or piss off too many subscribers and you won’t have a job.  We only have room for one paperboy this summer, so give it your all.  Whoever does the best job will secure the job.  The other…well, won’t have a job.  Do I make myself very clear?”  Again, Bo Abobo and I struggled to find an answer.  “Well, do I make myself clear” Big Boss shouted loudly, the cigar nearly leaping out of his mouth in the process.  Bo Abobo and I once again snapped to attention, both nodding our heads in agreement.  “Yes, sir, Big Boss, we understand” we both answered at the same time.  Big Boss once again leaned back in his chair, the same sly smile as before spreading across his face as he slid the cigar from one corner of his mouth to the other.  “Very good” he replied as he took a deep puff on the cigar.  “I will see you both back here on Monday morning.  Now get out of my office.”  Bo Abobo and I just sat there perplexed, expecting to hear more details about our new job.  Big Boss’s eyes narrowed and he took a slow puff on his cigar as we both sat in the aging, burgundy chairs across from him, unsure of what to do next.  “I said get the HELL out of my office” he shrieked as he jumped forward in his chair.  Bo Abobo and I both jumped up and scrambled out of his office before he could shout at us again.  As I turned back to close the office door, I noticed Big Boss’s cigar fall from his mouth into his lap.  He quickly began slapping at his groin area as he stood up from his chair.  “Dammit, what the hell” he exclaimed as he swatted some errant ashes from the front-side of his pants.  As I closed the office door, Bo Abobo stood before me like a giant diabolical sentinel ready to pounce on his prey.  “Don’t count on getting that job, wimp” Bo Abobo cackled evilly as he stared down at me.  “I’m going to be the new paperboy in this town.”  I gulped nervously as I stared up at Bo Abobo’s bulky frame, unsure of what to say.  “Yeah, well we will see about that” I managed to croak from my dry and nervous throat.  Bo Abobo just laughed loudly in the claustrophobic hallway.  “Yeah, I bet we will, BIMMY” he mocked as he laughed evilly.  “Hey, my name is Billy” I replied angrily at Bo Abobo’s mispronunciation of my name.  “Bimmy isn’t even a real name!”  “Yeah, sure, whatever you say…BIMMY!  That paperboy job is mine, you wimp” Bo Abobo laughed.  I could feel anger boiling inside at the gross mispronunciation of my name.  No one had had ever called me anything but Billy and this lunkheaded bully wasn’t about to call me something different.  Before I could utter a word, Bo Abobo pushed past me and ripped the loudest fart I had ever heard.  “Smell ya later, BIMMY” he cracked as he walked down the hallway laughing.  I stood there dumbfounded in a noxious, gaseous cloud, wondering how such a nasty bully like Bo Abobo could get the paperboy job along with me.  My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when the editor’s office door flew open with a bang and Big Boss strode down the hallway, ignoring me in the process.  “Dammit, Doris, did you buy another one of those smelly egg salad sandwiches from Burger Time Café again?  Those things reek” Big Boss shouted to his secretary as he fanned the Bo Abobo fart smell away from his nostrils.  At that moment, it hit me like a ton of bricks: I was going to beat out Bo Abobo for the job no matter what it took.

Well, that’s the story of how I landed my first job.  Oh, trust me, there’s a whole lot more to tell.  My first week on the job was one of the most unforgettable experiences from my teenage years.  And I will tell you all about it throughout the course of the week.  As for now, there are newspapers to be delivered.  What, don’t look at me!  I’m retired from that business.  It’s up to all of you to make sure those papers get delivered to the subscribers.  Here’s what you need to know to become the next all-star Paperboy:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Life 0 (until you have no more red caps remaining)
  • You may not play any of the game on Life 0.  You must immediately stop and take your picture.  Anyone suspected of playing the game on Life 0 will have their score disqualified
  • If you beat the game, take your picture on the High Scores screen
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 7,000
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 7/17/16 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 07/12/2016 at 11:12 PM by bimmy_lee

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:58:09 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
OFFICIAL SCOREBOARD
Paperboy
 photo Paperboy U-0_zpshrl0s579.png
(Arcade)
Place Score Username
1 234,450 Bea_Iank
2 174,100 bertsampson
3 163,800 tablew/chairs
4 145,650 arnpoly
4 125,800 TWarwick07
5 114,100 Brock Landers
6 112,700 Commander Santa
8 112,450 Teknoskan
Participation
9 104,000 the tall guy
10 99,150 alpenanews0506
11 89,650 GoldenEyeGamer
12 79,400 barrelsAndRivets
13 72,750 Richardhead
14 59,500 BriGuy82
15 57,400 zobber
16 53,950 buttheadrulesagain
17 42,800 gutsman004
18 40,800 BingoRingo
19 32,300 JamesRobot
20 26,350 dukeofhurl99
21 22,150 Krunch
22 21,100 Ferris Bueller
23 19,700 skinnygrinny
24 13,200 Seppatoni
25 10,950 Mega Tank
26 10,650 zaam
27 10,500 EgasKrad
28 10,450 laddersandcakes
29 9,050 mbd39
30 8,600 ToxieRules
31 8,450 SuperJimtendo
32 7,300 Jandrem

Edited: 07/18/2016 at 03:58 PM by bertsampson

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:42:00 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Never been very good, or put much time into this one.

Excuses, excuses  

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:45:33 PM
Teknoskan (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Oh yeah! The only game I was ever good at as a kid. Gonna paint those houses white tonight!

My Collection Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/tjhfH

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:59:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
234,450 - game beaten
220,800 - game beaten
145,850 - game beaten
122,500 - game beaten

106,600 - game beaten
85,700 - game beaten

I think I have hit my peak for the week. I don't think I can in any way push my score farther than this without several days of training.
So that is it for me. I guess it will be beaten by Bert or tablew tomorrow night, but I can live with that. I did my best.

OK, I think I can do better than this. My "press two buttons at once"manship isn't on par just yet.
I might even fancy saying that if I practice harder, I might beat that Twin Galaxies high score.

We're finally getting somewhere! I surpassed NES_King score from 2009 - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess....
This will be my last update for the night. I will try to beat 150,000 points during the week. I screwed in two training courses on this run.

I am Bea, destroyer of windows. But now I need to my training course skills fixed. Again, I only succeeded at one of them in this run. It is pathetic.

This went a bit better, I'd say. But I crashed on all but one training course. That cost me at least 18,000 points. I will have to do better.

Going to start with this, even though it is pretty low.
Focused too little on scoring big points and crashed on 3 training courses.

And, man, I would love to be able to retire after only 7 days of work...

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 07/16/2016 at 09:04 PM by Bea_Iank

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:01:50 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Jesus Bimbims that was one hell of a story!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:09:47 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
LOL. 85,700 is "low" and I'm struggling to get participation.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:26:48 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Damn Bea. Think you can beat the 2nd one for me? I'm terrible at these

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:33:06 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Update my score with a more reasonable one.
Funny thing is, I crashed on almost all training courses on that run.  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:09:12 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
On a side note, regarding this week rules, I say drop the life 0 rule and increase the participation to 10,000 so they show up on the high score screen.
Whoever scores 7,000 can score 10,000 easily, and the life 0 rule will hurt competition later in the week, when people start making it to later days, and then because of an unlucky spawn, will die and will have to stop playing and take the score picture, whereas if they could continue playing on life 0, they could even beat the stage, maybe even beat the game at life 0 and manage to score much higher than otherwise.

On both my runs so far, I died twice on each of them, so it haven't affected my current performance. But it just might during the week as I try to devise better point pressing strategies.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:42:56 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington
174,100 (Retired)

photo 20160716_191323_zpsjtqztabr.jpg

Edited: 07/17/2016 at 04:41 PM by bertsampson

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:49:54 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Great score Bert. I will try to beat it after the Portugal x France game on the Euro 2016 finals end.  

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:51:49 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: bertsampson

119,500 (Retired)

photo 20160710_123316_zpscoxxfucu.jpg

Does retired mean that you're no longer competing in the contests?

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:54:27 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

119,500 (Retired)

In this case, it means he beat the game.
The paperboy retires after you finish the Sunday stage and beat the game.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:54:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

119,500 (Retired)

In this case, it means he beat the game.
The paperboy retires after you finish the Sunday stage and beat the game.

I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:54:59 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

119,500 (Retired)

Um, no.  Beat the game is all.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:56:37 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Great score Bert. I will try to beat it after the Portugal x France game on the Euro 2016 finals end.  

Thanks Bea.  I have no doubt you will easily beat my score if you failed to finish all but one Training Course.  I completed every training course and only beat you by 13k.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:20:07 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
9,050 (I suck, lol.)

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:21:11 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Last place here I come.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:05:18 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Last place here I come.

Not if I have any say. I might just go participation this week and move on. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:06:51 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

119,500 (Retired)

BS. Yup, looks right   

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:12:23 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Pretty boy got hurt   

portugal keeper playing solid. 

Edit: Portugal wins via Nani!   

Edited: 07/10/2016 at 05:16 PM by skinnygrinny

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:22:10 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Pretty boy got hurt   

portugal keeper playing solid. 

Edit: Portugal wins via Nani!   

Yes.  
Pretty boy getting hurt helped Portugal, I think. He didn't play very well on this Euro. And Portugal keeper is playing really well today.
For now, Portugal is taking this Euro home. Hooray!  

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:02:37 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Last place here I come.

Yeah, might as well skinny, no real shot at even 2nd now...  

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:10:46 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Last place here I come.

Yeah, might as well skinny, no real shot at even 2nd now...  

You better not lose the shooter icon this year....