Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Game loading up garbled characters. I don't want to hit it with the heavy stuff, unless I have to. :P

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:54:14 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Alright, so... I was trying to fire up this game after giving it a quick alcohol qtip clean and some of the characters came up all garbled. I opened the game up to give it the hi polymer eraser clean and I noticed one of the pins had a mark on it. It did not want to come off. I only use the heavier stuff on guck or corrosion and this seems to be neither. I do not want to hit it with the heavier stuff if I don't have to. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Other than the one spot in the first pic, near the middle, the pins look good to me anyways.  

===========================================
Old Help Wanted

1-26-16 I think my research skills need some work. I was only able to find this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/17188208564... I picked up 3 of these at a game store. Were these only released in Canada? They are cool in color but the build of these is awful. Any info would be cool. Thanks!

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 08:14 PM by Mega Tank

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:03:29 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Do they hold both NES and SNES???

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:28:36 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Faxanadude

An SNES game fits inside, but it is loose.

I think the eBay listed ones are labeled for SNES, but the ones I picked up just have the Nintendo label.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:10:07 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Don't think the are Canada exclusives as I remember having some of the NES colored ones back in the day along with clear ones and most likely came from Wal-Mart as that's about the only major chain we had nearby (out of town unfortunately) back then that my parents would shop at and seems they came in packs of 5 . Didn't much care for them myself, and I swear there's a red "pink" one still lurking in the depths of my closet or out in the shed as I remember seeing one around here recently.  Now the SNES ones I have never seen.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 09:11 PM by MuNKeY

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:41:34 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

Don't think the are Canada exclusives as I remember having some of the NES colored ones back in the day along with clear ones and most likely came from Wal-Mart as that's about the only major chain we had nearby (out of town unfortunately) back then that my parents would shop at and seems they came in packs of 5 . Didn't much care for them myself, and I swear there's a red "pink" one still lurking in the depths of my closet or out in the shed as I remember seeing one around here recently.  Now the SNES ones I have never seen.

I am curious if they are from Canada for 2 reasons.

1. The back label has some French words. 2. The only ones I have found in the link provided are located in Canada.

I am just curious as to where these came from or if they were sold within any particular stores. One of the ones I have is cracked in the back, but it still works. Again, their quality is not great, but the colors are cool.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:41:38 PM
bootleggers deluxe (116)
(Call Me Boot ) < El Ripper >
Iowa
ive run across a few of these in my collecting of clams. i have even found a couple that were labeled GAME BOY.

still cool, butthey seem to be of the same mold a standard NES clamshell is made out of.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:42:35 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
I've got a bunch of these... Pink, blue, and clear I believe. One SNES one for sure.

Not sure where they came from, though.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:52:52 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: AirVillain

I've got a bunch of these... Pink, blue, and clear I believe. One SNES one for sure.

Clear? Are you sure you are not confusing these with the standard common NES clamshell?

These neon cases have a thicker Nintendo logo in black. To be honest, I thought these were knock offs when I first saw them. The build of both are very familiar but these are also a little thicker in their plastic shell but feel odd when you open the case up. These neon ones feel like they pop open weird.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:52:38 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: PDork87

Clear? Are you sure you are not confusing these with the standard common NES clamshell? These neon cases have a thicker Nintendo logo in black. To be honest, I thought these were knock offs when I first saw them. The build of both are very familiar but these are also a little thicker in their plastic shell but feel odd when you open the case up. These neon ones feel like they pop open weird.
Well... I thought the clear WERE the common ones.

We used to always see the neon ones around.

Certainly have some neon ones.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:57:02 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Sorry... just to be clear.

NO, I didn't mean the regular NES clamshell cases with the red Nintendo logo on the front. I've got a ton of those.

But there are clear cases like you've mentioned, with the black writing. There's also some with "SUPER NINTENDO" on them as well, I have one SNES one I believe.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 01/26/2016 at 11:12 PM by AirVillain

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:06:09 AM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
I've picked up a few color variants other than the clear shells with the red logo. Yellow, green blue and this weird one that I'm thinking was a rental case for Dusty Diamonds All-Star Softball.

WHAT AM I SEEKING NOW???
PC Engine with video cable, power supply and controller. Looking to spend $100 to have this console in my collection.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:07:50 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

NO, I didn't mean the regular NES clamshell cases with the red Nintendo logo on the front. I've got a ton of those.

But there are clear cases like you've mentioned, with the black writing. There's also some with "SUPER NINTENDO" on them as well, I have one SNES one I believe.

Ah ok. The red Nintendo logo ones came in a few colors: Clear, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink and Black. I will take a pic of them later. They all vary in the Nintendo logo color.

The super neon ones have 4 colors from what I have seen from that ebay listing I posted: Blue, Green, Yellow and Pink. These, from what I have seen all have a thicker black Nintendo logo color. These are the ones I am curious about since I had never seen them before.

Would you mind taking a pic of the clear one with the black Nintendo logo?

Edited: 01/27/2016 at 06:18 AM by Mega Tank

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:09:22 AM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I have a bunch of those, used to see them around all the time. They can hold either SNES or NES carts most of the time.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:31:15 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Ah ok. The red Nintendo logo ones came in a few colors: Clear, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink and Black. I will take a pic of them later. They all vary in the Nintendo logo color. The super neon ones have 4 colors from what I have seen from that ebay listing I posted: Blue, Green, Yellow and Pink. These, from what I have seen all have a thicker black Nintendo logo color. These are the ones I am curious about since I had never seen them before. Would you mind taking a pic of the clear one with the black Nintendo logo?
There's a few additional colours. Orange, I know of.  And yeah, the logo is thicker and black. Also, I think there are variations in some of the shades.

The majority of my stuff is in boxes right now and I just took a quick look and couldn't find the clear style with BLACK logo.... Hmmmm, I could very well be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that I have one with a black logo and SUPER NINTENDO on it.... I'm going to bookmark this thread and update it when I look through all the cases I have.

Here's a picture of some I have picked up more recently...

Ps. I get you now... Orange/Yellow... Same difference, haha. That one is pretty orange, though. I do think there is a neon yellow as well.

Also, I know the clear cases pictured don't have writing on them. I think I have one stashed away...

Also, looking at it more closely it looks like the green one is printed so that you could fit "SUPER NINTENDO" underneath it...

Originally posted by: Faxanadude

Yes... if you're cool with your SNES cart bouncing all over the place . Haha... It says "SUPER NINTENDO" on it but there's nothing different about the inside. No plastic holders, or anything as I suppose those would impede the NES game fitting in... And they didn't want to make it any wider.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 01/27/2016 at 10:37 PM by AirVillain

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:41:21 PM
Nostalgia_Collectors (1)
(Rebecca & Michael ) < Little Mac >
North Carolina
I think they are fun to look at, but unfortunately they serve no real purpose for our collection.
I only have these...

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:40:31 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
The only ones I have ever come across are the ones you found locally, they are clear, bright, neon colours with a BLACK Nintendo label on them.

I have a buttload of them.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jan 29, 2016 at 4:46:30 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I have these Nintendo branded ones for the NES.

From what I am seeing, the Neon colored ones with the black Nintendo logo are primarily found in Canada.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:12:12 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
I just went out the pawn shop today and found some of the ones that have the Super Nintendo under the Nintendo logo!

It must have something to do with Canada.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:15:05 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I just went out the pawn shop today and found some of the ones that have the Super Nintendo under the Nintendo logo!

Yea... I believe these are Canadian release only... I was hoping someone would be able to confirm it. Oh well...

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:18:28 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

Yea... I believe these are Canadian release only... I was hoping someone would be able to confirm it. Oh well...

I will actually buy them next time I am out and confirm, there will be some sort of indication on the sticker I assume.

If there is French on it then they are Canadian.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:24:53 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

I will actually buy them next time I am out and confirm, there will be some sort of indication on the sticker I assume.

There is. I do not know if they were released in the US in addition to Canada.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:29:45 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

I want to say it is highly doubtful since there is a Canadian address on there, plus the mattell releases that were made/distributed in Canada adding to the point.

If they were will to produce games/manuals/boxes in Canada producing the plastics would pale in comparison....I think.

I guess though we will really never know if they shipped them to the States or not.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:37:46 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

I want to say it is highly doubtful since there is a Canadian address on there, plus the mattell releases that were made/distributed in Canada adding to the point.

If they were will to produce games/manuals/boxes in Canada producing the plastics would pale in comparison....I think.

I guess though we will really never know if they shipped them to the States or not.

From what I have seen the majority of these cases are in Canada or from northern states in the US. They are cool, hut like I have said, their build quality is pretty bad. Who knows, maybe the ones I picked up are no good.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:47:49 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
I have a ton of them...mainly clear ones but I have a few colorful ones. I use them for my special games...aka more expensive games. I don't have enough to case my whole NES collection so that's why I leave them for special games.

I also happen to have two N64 ones. I like these ones a lot more. I'm currently using one for my NFR Mario Party 3.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:25:08 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

I have a ton of them...mainly clear ones but I have a few colorful ones. I use them for my special games...aka more expensive games. I don't have enough to case my whole NES collection so that's why I leave them for special games.

I also happen to have two N64 ones. I like these ones a lot more. I'm currently using one for my NFR Mario Party 3.
Would you mind posting a pic or two of the clear ones?