OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Gloves

Yoshi's Story is done.  

Epic win, lol!

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Jan 04 at 7:08:10 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: OptOut

Originally posted by: Gloves

Yoshi's Story is done.  

Epic win, lol!

Gotta get the tough ones outta the way now, ya know?

Jan 04 at 11:10:38 AM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I squeezed one in before Gloves could beat them all! Magical Tetris Challenge. I actually like the GBC version better, it has different Tetris variations you have to play, and a neat open overworld. Maybe there's a mode like that in the N64 version somewhere.

Jan 04 at 1:11:46 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Maaan, I've been looking at New Tetris, since "get 300 lines" seems too subjective. Nothing happens in-game when you get 300 lines, it's just a number. On MeridianPrime's stream, he beat the CPU, set to Master, on all game modes. This seems more objective, but since there's no credit roll or anything, there's no reason the CPU has to be on Master.

The really bad news is that as you play, every line you get counts toward a total, which counts up to the completion of various world structures (Sphinx, Kremlin, etc) in a sort of metagame. After you complete thousands and thousands of lines, after every structure is finished, there's a "finale" that shows a 3D cutscene with each structure that you finished. But it's such a huge grind to get there (500,000 lines) that requiring that finale would possibly make New Tetris the longest game on the list. "It takes a long time" isn't a good reason not to require it, but it's such a background feature that it definitely doesn't feel like the "focus" of the game. Nothing changes after you finish all 500,000 lines except you can watch the finale whenever you want.

There's no credit roll, so you could argue that it doesn't fit with the rest of the requirements. It's definitely called the "finale" though. You can reach it if you have 0 skill but all the time in the world. But you could say the same for some RPGs.

Jan 04 at 8:13:41 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Hmmm... Interesting! As always, I would err on the side of what makes the game more fun to play, and to encourage completion. Grinding out half a million lines on Tetris certainly doesn't adhere to that ethos!

Jan 04 at 10:07:25 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Just saying someone else has to beat the Bass this year or at least wait until November for me to try again!
That said I brought in the New Year by beating Duke Nukem 64! So scratch it off the list. And no I'm not playing Zero Hour.

SPLAIN ALERT: Duke Nukem 64 beat

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Edited: 01/05/2019 at 01:06 AM by PuppyWaffles

Jan 05 at 5:24:12 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: PuppyWaffles

Just saying someone else has to beat the Bass this year or at least wait until November for me to try again!
That said I brought in the New Year by beating Duke Nukem 64! So scratch it off the list. And no I'm not playing Zero Hour.

SPLAIN ALERT: Duke Nukem 64 beat

No probs dude, my turn on Bass Hunter this year! Also, I may cover Zero Hour, because I do like that game, but I beat it 2 years ago so it's not a priority.

Jan 05 at 5:33:12 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT: A bug's Life is complete!

Making my mark on the leaderboard as early as I can, I want to hit 40 games this year, so gotta start somewhere!

Another average N64 platformer, but NOT a bad game actually. Has a very interesting seed mechanic where you can create your own platforms and other plants to give you health boosts and other advantages.

Main problems are the slightly wonky controls and camera, as well as uninspired level designs. Because this game is SO cheap and plentiful, I would recommend it to N64 platformer fans, just to give it a go.

Should have Army Men complete next, pretty soon.

Jan 05 at 2:06:25 PM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Aww, I was hoping to do Bug's life later when the colored Retrofighters controllers ship. Both to test the controllers and to nostalgia trip, I last played it 20 years ago on PC. OptOut was faster  

Jan 05 at 2:08:48 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

SPLAIN ALERT: A bug's Life is complete!

Making my mark on the leaderboard as early as I can, I want to hit 40 games this year, so gotta start somewhere!

Another average N64 platformer, but NOT a bad game actually. Has a very interesting seed mechanic where you can create your own platforms and other plants to give you health boosts and other advantages.

Main problems are the slightly wonky controls and camera, as well as uninspired level designs. Because this game is SO cheap and plentiful, I would recommend it to N64 platformer fans, just to give it a go.

Should have Army Men complete next, pretty soon.

I actually really liked Bugs Life on 64 as a kid. Was just a rental for us, but it was pretty entertaining.

Jan 05 at 4:45:27 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I played through Razor Freestyle Scooter, all in one sitting. Last year I had to come back to that thing like 10 times to finish the fringe goals. Now I already know the tricks. But it hurts a little to know that a part of my brain has learned to play that game.

Jan 05 at 9:12:57 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Splain

I played through Razor Freestyle Scooter, all in one sitting. Last year I had to come back to that thing like 10 times to finish the fringe goals. Now I already know the tricks. But it hurts a little to know that a part of my brain has learned to play that game.

No one every truly returns from Razor Freestyle Scooter... It changes a man!  

Jan 05 at 9:19:59 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: erac

Aww, I was hoping to do Bug's life later when the colored Retrofighters controllers ship. Both to test the controllers and to nostalgia trip, I last played it 20 years ago on PC. OptOut was faster  

Sorry dude, never realised this game was so popular, lol!

Truth be told, I actually beat it yesterday in a single sitting, about an hour and a half start to end! Before that I recently completed a 100 percent run over the Xmas break, so it was really fresh in my mind.

Actually a fun little game, I'll probably go back for the challenge mode at some point as well! Looks like you'll have to find another game to test your controller, but don't worry seems to be plenty of options left to do, lol!  

Jan 05 at 9:44:11 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Played Wheel of Fortune. Looks like you have to win the final solo round to get the credits.

Jan 05 at 10:57:48 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Took me longer than expected due to a sudden flu, but I made it through. The last few levels can go to hell.

Star Wars Rogue Squadron is done.  

Jan 06 at 12:22:17 PM
MeridianPrime (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Good luck guys on your 2019 endevours!
I will try to complete the requirement list for this year. I'll PM the thread maker to update it :-)

Jan 06 at 12:45:36 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Uuuuggghhh I wanna play more but I have a goddamn flu. I can hardly pick up a controller right now.  

Jan 06 at 1:43:05 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
SPLAIN ALERT: Pokemon Puzzle League defeated

I beat it on the hardest difficulty (does that mean I get bonus points?) Hands down in my top 5 N64 games!

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Jan 07 at 11:22:01 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Wave Race 64 is done.

Jan 08 at 2:13:47 PM
aquaprince86 (0)
(Jerry ) < Cherub >
California
Hey guys, long time no see!  I've finished NBA Hangtime today!

Jan 08 at 10:15:25 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Diddy Kong Racing is done.  

Jan 10 at 6:59:35 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Army Men is complete!

This game feels a little unfinished, to be honest. There are a lot of good ideas here, and the characters and story have way more charm to them than you'd imagine. But the combat is wonky, the movement is clunky, the weapons are relatively uninteresting, and the level designs are rather simplistic.

I'm certainly hoping for more from the sequel!

Jan 10 at 7:49:21 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Also, believe it or not, I just beat another game: Elmo's Letter Adventure complete!

Worst N64 game I've ever played, bar none. Yes, I know it's for kids, but this is just insulting. Incredibly slow, tedious and not even educational in the slightest. The gameplay revolves around guiding Elmo through 3 pairs of linear corridors (painfully slowly) to pick up ten of the exact same letter. There are also 3 short rounds where you need to find the correct first letter of a few words, but the game tells you which letter you need to pick. Roll credits.

If I was a parent in the 90s and I paid 50 dollars or whatever for this, I would consider it fraud, there is maximum half an hour of content here, even a 5 year old would be unimpressed. Absolute travesty. And before you say, oh it's a kid's game, the same developers who made this also made Tigger's honey hunt, and although also simple and easy and for kids, it is actually fun and engaging, with even a bit of replay value and progression.

This game would be shameful to release for free in a box of cereal, let alone a full retail release.

Jan 10 at 12:04:06 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I need to pick up the pace. DK is a lot longer than I expected. I am at the 5 boss. This is my first time playing DK64 so not sure how much further I have and I am doing a no guide playthrough. It feels more like an accomplishment that way.

Jan 10 at 1:32:37 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona

Worst N64 game I've ever played, bar none.

Lol. I read this and decided to take down Elmo's Number Journey. Sounds like Letter Adventure, you have to walk through 3 pairs of corridors, slowly gathering ten of the same number. Sometimes they shake it up by putting you on a boat or snowboard or something. Then you have to throw baseballs. How many? The number they tell you. That part might actually be good practice for a kid who is already learning their numbers. Enough to justify any amount of money? No.

Oh and it took me forever to play through DK the first time as a kid. And the second time years later. It's a huge, long game. It would take me weeks to find the time to get through the whole thing. I started another game of Blues Brothers 2000, I'm maybe halfway-ish.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 01:33 PM by Splain