Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Making your own labels

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:17:56 PM
OldSchoolNES (12)
(Chris VanAnda) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I searched the forum and someone mentioned that the dimensions for a game label should be 2.17 x 3.82 inches. I'm just wondering if anybody has done this and has tips for making your own labels. Do any templates exist?

Thanks, Chris

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:02:10 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Funny you bring this up, I've tried various things in the past with decent results, but still looking for something better. Just this afternoon I started looking online because I couldn't find anything local. The site onlinelabels.com has a pretty insane selection. I ordered 10 sheets of OL600WG, which they say is photo-quality and gloss, 8 labels per sheet. They still will need to be cut to size though. The measurements I came up with were 2.16 x 3.84. You can get custom sized labels, but it will cost you a small fortune to do so.

Anyways, I'll let everyone know what kind of results I get with them when they arrive.

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:37:57 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
Lol You should see some of the fake drivers license's ive taken. There is no way to tell the difference unless you run them. Im sure someone has the stuff you could make labels exactally like the oridignal ones

-------------------------
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:34:40 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
The problem is the dot patterns; the way ink is applied in a print shop is much different than how even a laser would reproduce it. A trained eye, or a monkey with a magnifying glass can tell.

Problem is, if the common layperson has no reason to scrutinize, it will be convincing and they'll never think to get it checked out.

Although repros ARE heavier. Of course there's nothing stopping you from taking a FS1 and making a FS2 label for it, and hoping the buyer never investigates/plays far enough into it to notice hehe.

Jan 7, 2008 at 1:02:03 PM
Joe West (65)
(joe Houchens) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
What's the best printer too Use.....

wanted:  pokemon, mario, wario  in  gba,gbc,gb, ds    sent list of what you have...

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:51:56 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Originally posted by: BootGod

The site onlinelabels.com has a pretty insane selection. I ordered 10 sheets of OL600WG, which they say is photo-quality and gloss, 8 labels per sheet. They still will need to be cut to size though. The measurements I came up with were 2.16 x 3.84. You can get custom sized labels, but it will cost you a small fortune to do so. Anyways, I'll let everyone know what kind of results I get with them when they arrive.

Just curious, when you say "cut to size" do you mean you made the image itself be a standard print size with extra whitespace on the various sides in order to pay a smaller price?

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:26:26 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
He means that OL600 are 4" x 2.5"  so he needs to ut it down using a paper cutter to 2.16 x 3.84.

Normally you wouldnt put whitespace around it (unless your sticker had white at its edges).  You'd extend your label's colors outward (bleed).  That way your cuts dont need to be perfect.

When I did my labels, I got sheets printed at Staples.  Then I put them through a sticker maker  to laminate and add the adhesive.  This ended up being expensive and I wouldnt advise it.  It was also cumbersome to cut the labels afterwards. 

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:35:01 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Ah I forgot about this post! Just to let everyone know, I am very happy with these OL600 labels. The print quality is fantastic, nice gloss, and adheres well. Only thing I'm still looking into is lamination methods. Honestly, I think you could get by just fine without any lamination, but if you were too spill something on it, I don't know how well it would hold up. If I could find some 3" clear packing tape, I think it would work quite well. The shit seems to be quite elusive though, Office Max is the only place I've found with it, and they only sell it in 6-packs (for $30), so I'm not too enthralled about shelling that out when 1 roll would do hundreds of labels. I've tried those self-laminating things as well, they work OK, but they are too thick (like 5 mil).