NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Contra challenge with story

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:39:36 PM
joshmillslane (5)
(Joshua Lane) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia
Funny story from a couple years ago...

A friend was visiting from out of town after I had seriously started collecting.  All night he was talking mad shit about how he could go through the whole game by himself without dying once.  The challenge was on, and he started playing.  Through the whole game he went - without dying.  He killed the final boss - without dying.  As he was celebrating, he turned his back to the screen, and a sorry ass little scorpion ran across the screen and killed him as the final boss was still exploding.  We were all screaming/laughing/pointing at the screen.  When he turned around, the expression on his face was priceless.

I nearly pissed my pants I was laughing so hard.

So, can you beat the whole game of Contra without dying?

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:32 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
oh yeah, done it a hundred times. I have done it with every weapon in the game as well. Can do it with Super C too.

I also have a dual test controller, and I have beat the game playing in the 2 player mode as both players. Can't no death that, but I did beat it with only 1 continue.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:38:27 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
haha! That story is PRICELESS! I would've been crackin' up right in his face haha

But yeah, I recently did it for my first time. It was a pain because I set forth to do it, but it took a whole week before I actually pulled it off. Here is the fruits of my labor:

http://www.playthenes.com/1Lif...1Life2Live_Contra.htm

Good job on Super C, NGD. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, but something stupid always happens to me in one of two spots. One, I die from a stray bubble on level four that gets past my spread. Two, on level six one of those damn mouths gets me haha One of these days dern it!

http://slydogstudios.org...

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:19:19 PM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
That dual test controller, 2 player mode is hard as shit to do. Ive been practicing with mine hoping to do it without any continues.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:22:00 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Good luck, not an easy task for sure. It is doable, but a no death would be impossible I think.
~~NGD

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:21:22 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Roth
Good job on Super C, NGD. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, but something stupid always happens to me in one of two spots. One, I die from a stray bubble on level four that gets past my spread. Two, on level six one of those damn mouths gets me haha One of these days dern it!

Yeah, I totally agree; Super C is 10 times harder to no-death than Contra. When I set out to do Contra, it took me maybe a day and a dozen tries... with Super C it was a month-long adventure of try and try again. That last overhead level with the circling alien heads almost made my head explode! I did finally put it in the books though

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:17:17 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
The trick to the final level (as I showed the good doctor a few years after he did his no-death run) is to just run through the part where the ceiling drops - DO NOT STOP! Shoot only what threatens you, and you should make it out alive. Not 100% foolproof, but it works around 90% of the time. Also, don't forget about the safe spot on the final boss

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:23:58 AM
jimpoleshuk (279)
(Jim Poleshuk) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
What is this dual test controller.

Pic pleaz

www.videogameboxprotectors.com

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:27:39 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I think Super C is 10 times easier than Conta. I have beaten that game 1000+ times though, one of my favs.
~~NGD

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:38:49 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Most people have played Contra more. I had Super C as a kid, but got Contra much later, thus I'm better at Super C, simply because I'm more familiar with it. Maybe it's the same for you Jason?

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:02:46 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Exactly Mike. I played Contra when I was younger a lot but never owned it till 4-5 years ago. I still have my orignal copy of Super C though.
~~NGD

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:31:19 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
At the risk of being shunned by my fellow gamers,  I dont think I've ever made it past level 4 in Contra single player. I may have gotten further, but I'm pretty sure I had to use the special code.
I dont believe I've ever played Super C or Contra Force.    The problem I think is that the programmers made the bullets look too inviting.  I just cant seem to help myself from jumping into them, lol.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:07:20 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
WHAT!!! That is just crazy talk Al. You need to spend enough time to beat Contra and Super C both, some of the best games in the library. Contra Force isn't that good, but it has its moments as well. I have beaten all 3 several times. I am just looking forward to Contra 4 on the DS soon
~~NGD

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:31:34 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Al, try playing Probotector (PAL Contra). It's pretty much identical, but the sprites stand out a bit better. My best run was done on Probotector...haven't matched it since. And I wouldn't shun you...although I've finished Contra and Super C, I have yet to beat SMB *hides in shame*

Sep 26, 2007 at 9:01:53 PM
Shags (65)
(--- Ben ---) < El Ripper >
Alaska
hey jimpoleshuk do a search for test controller and you will find pics of the one I bought from limbofunk

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:09:33 PM
TN (73)
(TN TN) < El Ripper >
United States
That reminds me of a good Contra story as well, probably 11 years ago (back when the SNES was the thing).  I was at someone's house with several friends playing pool.  A little kid (probably around 6 years old) showed up (he lived next door) and would not leave us alone.  He was trying to boss us around and tell us what we can and can't do in the room with the pool table.  He then started to tell us about all the Nintendo games he had and how good he was at them.  Well, it got to the point where we were about to have enough of him when one of my buddies "took one for the team" and told the little guy that he would go play Nintendo with him.  So they left and were gone about 30 minutes.  My buddy came back alone and was laughing.  He said that the kid tried to tell him how to play every game he had and would not keep quite one bit.  He said that they started to play Contra and the little guy kept telling him where to go and what to pick up and what to shoot etc.  Finally, my friend told him, "Kid, I beat Contra before you were born."  That acutally got the kids attention and from then on it went pretty smooth.  

I also remember going to Wal-Mart as a kid looking for NES games and all they had was about 20 copies of Contra.  I though it must be a terrible game if  that is all they have.  Little did I know it would be an alltime favorite.  I also remember seeing about 20 copies of Section Z and Trojan at Target. No one ever bought those games, they were always there.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:47:59 PM
rbudrick (4)
(Rob Budrick) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Hampshire
I've beaten Contra, Super C, and Rush N Attack on one life.

So what is this safe spot on the last boss?

-Rob

I am the god of Hellfire and I bring you FIRE!

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:03:34 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
The final boss on Super C looks like so:

Now, the safe spot is on the top left edge of the rib cage. You can stand there, it doesn't hurt you. You have a clear shot at the boss' eye, and the boss' shots go over your head. Try it

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:13:54 PM
WERY (0)
(Johan L) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
I have beaten contra 1 without dying for game over, no continues used but thats good enough for me.

The Duce
Brother of Bros

My NES Collection
Goin' for a complete USA licensed collection on the NES

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:43:05 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Originally posted by: rbudrick

I've beaten Contra, Super C, and Rush N Attack on one life. So what is this safe spot on the last boss? -Rob

Wow, I consider Rush N Attack pretty damn hard.  Although to be truthful, even though I own the NES version, I've only played the arcade version ( and I've played it a lot).

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete