Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Monthly Contest: July - Final Fight & Super Adventure Island (CLOSED) Winners - Andy_Bogomil & Andy_Bogomil

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:05:18 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
I'm content with 3rd place on Final Fight. The run that I submitted took everything I had, I've never played the game as good as I did that time, and that was after a gazillion resets from losing lives at Katana(Sodom) and Abigail. This month has been super busy too, can't find a spare evening to sit and committ to a bunch of runs. I've actually missed the NES weekly contest here and there over having too much going on. Might have to go back to submitting scores from my work PC at break time; I was trying to stick to just submitting from home on my hardware.

-------------------------
My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:48:18 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Ill be making a good run and like in 3-1 the tree level, Ill jump up and a big mosquito will already randomly be right in my jump path and their was no way to avoid it.

There are definitely a couple troll spawns in this game. The rock mountain level 4-2(?) is ridiculous for that as well. Those jumping guys spawn out of nowhere when you're jumping up and soimetimes clip you without warning. Really lame. You're right though that the game isn't that hard overall in my opinion, just a few little things that can fuck you over. I think the snake boss is probably the hardest boss in the game and even he isn't that bad.

another one was in 2-2. It only happens on some runs. You have to have the boomarang or youll die automatically. The penguin that comes from behind you. There is a falling platform in between the islands. The penguin shows up when you land on the platform and are jumping to the next. Its timed where the penguin will be right under you no matter what. You have to down shoot before you land. On about 25 percent of runs this happens. The other 75 percent itll just dive in the water and wont chase you for some reason. 

I have found the skateboard is pretty much the enemy for points. You get 200 for jumping on it, but it just makes everything harder to it and you miss points. and you get no bonus for getting through the level on it. On the run I posted, that was the highest point total I got out of the three times I got to the dragon. I got to boss 4 pretty easy once when I kept playing after the 1 death to learn the next levels better. This game is all memorization. Every time I died that wasnt caused by BS it was because I forgot about stuff like the lava. You get excited to get back to that level but dont focus. It sucks because World 4 was actually pretty easy

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:12:09 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: quest4nes

another one was in 2-2. It only happens on some runs. You have to have the boomarang or youll die automatically. The penguin that comes from behind you. There is a falling platform in between the islands. The penguin shows up when you land on the platform and are jumping to the next. Its timed where the penguin will be right under you no matter what. You have to down shoot before you land. On about 25 percent of runs this happens. The other 75 percent itll just dive in the water and wont chase you for some reason. 

I have found the skateboard is pretty much the enemy for points. You get 200 for jumping on it, but it just makes everything harder to it and you miss points. and you get no bonus for getting through the level on it. On the run I posted, that was the highest point total I got out of the three times I got to the dragon. I got to boss 4 pretty easy once when I kept playing after the 1 death to learn the next levels better. This game is all memorization. Every time I died that wasnt caused by BS it was because I forgot about stuff like the lava. You get excited to get back to that level but dont focus. It sucks because World 4 was actually pretty easy

Yep, that penquin is a pain. I found if I jumped to the ledge and turned back to face it for a second while in the air it would fall into the water. Definitely caught me a couple times though. Level 4 and 5 aren't too bad. The ice level (5-1) you have to take your time on, but other than that the game is pretty straight forward. Last boss first form can be a little annoying, but he goes down pretty quick with the strongest weapon.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 9:23:51 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I'll update the score and leaderboards tomorrow at work. Too hard to do it on a laptop with a touchpad and one screen.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:55:19 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Jandrem

Originally posted by: AC Skywalker

FF - 1,818,590  

SAI - 3-4 (Died at the dragon boss) 

Dude! You beat my score on FF by 70 points!  LMAO dammit. What is that, one punch? lol

That's funny.  I got beat out in the Battletoads contest by 150 points, which nearly drove me crazy

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Aug 2, 2016 at 1:58:15 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Scoreboard updated. Feel free to double check your score (I really need to recruit a helper next year  )