Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Beat Every SNES Game in a Year - 2014 Better late than never. Progress: 201/720; 27.9%

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:32:51 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
I beat Mr. Do! and Hook today.

-------------------------
Check out some awesome VG Metal music at my band's page (free music download!)
https://redfalconband.bandcamp.co...

Edited: 02/16/2014 at 11:41 PM by DOPLIC

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:46:12 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Super Street Fighter II
Street Fighter 2 Alpha
NHL 94

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:56:40 PM
Jig (4)
(Josh ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I'm currently making my way through a crappy football game - playing as the Broncos. In celebration of the Super Bowl. Going through a whole season sucks!

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:47:17 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: Jig

I'm currently making my way through a crappy football game - playing as the Broncos. In celebration of the Super Bowl. Going through a whole season sucks!

Is there an auto season setting? I was thinking of playing NHL 95/96 etc but don't want to play an entire season. I know for a fact that there is an autoplay feature that will basically randomly generate a record and will go straight to playoffs. Is that OK to do for completing these games?

I was also wondering about games like NBA where you basically play an endless amount of games. I don't think there is a true finish to that game. What counts as completing it?

Edited: 01/26/2014 at 08:48 AM by Andy_Bogomil

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:30:00 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Just knocked off Shanghai II and Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle. Can't beleve how fun Ranma was...I mean, I was a huge fan of the show when I was younger, but had never tried the game until now. Kinda kicking myself for waiting so damn long!

I know this is random but what did you do in Shanghai II to consider it beat? Just clear all the tiles on one board or did you do that tournament option? I'm asking because I randomly played it the other day and would like to add this to my beaten list eventually.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:34:07 PM
linkloz (138)
(Geoff P) < El Ripper >
Ontario
Dracula X complete!

While i've played through Rondo of Blood a few times in the past, 2013 was the first time i had ever played Dracula X. This weekend was the first time i had actually set out to beat it.

I was really surprised by this game. I've heard alot of Castlevania fans call this a butchered port, or a disgraceful entry in the series. But i found it to be alot of fun.

It wasn't the most challenging of the castlevanias by a long shot, but it was alot of fun. It had excellent controls, graphics, enemy designs, bosses and sound/level design. The problem is that Rondo of Blood does pretty much every one of those significantly better, and did it 2 years before Dracula X. Rondo is so much more ambitious, i can see why people in the 90's/early 2000s would slag this game. It's a shame this has to be a "retelling" of Richter's story. If it featured a new cast, maybe it would have a better reputation. It deserves it. A very solid entry in the series.

Go play Rondo if you haven't. I'd recommend against the PSP port. Just DL it on the Wii Virtual Console if you can't get a PC engine.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:33:50 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I conquered the earth in Civilization on the hardest difficulty today.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:55:35 PM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Me and my girlfriend just beat Monopoly. I was the supreme victor overall.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57:38 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: DOPLIC

Just knocked off Shanghai II and Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle. Can't beleve how fun Ranma was...I mean, I was a huge fan of the show when I was younger, but had never tried the game until now. Kinda kicking myself for waiting so damn long!

I know this is random but what did you do in Shanghai II to consider it beat? Just clear all the tiles on one board or did you do that tournament option? I'm asking because I randomly played it the other day and would like to add this to my beaten list eventually.

I may have to replay it...I didn't know about the Tournament mode...I just cleared both game types (Shanghai and Dragon's Eye).  I'm gonna have to fire it up and see what the Tournament mode is (think I assumed it was a multiplayer mode or something).  I guess I'll fire it up and let you know if it gives an ending that's different than the one from the two games I played already.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:02:42 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Originally posted by: Jig

Is there an auto season setting? I was thinking of playing NHL 95/96 etc but don't want to play an entire season. I know for a fact that there is an autoplay feature that will basically randomly generate a record and will go straight to playoffs. Is that OK to do for completing these games?

I was also wondering about games like NBA where you basically play an endless amount of games. I don't think there is a true finish to that game. What counts as completing it?

In games with a season mode, if it lets you simulate the season, that's acceptable.  If it doesn't, but has a playoff mode (NHL '93 and 94 have this if I remember correctly), then you obviously have to run through the playoffs.  In either case, you can set the playoffs to one game finishes (instead of a best of seven) if the game allows it.

In regard to sports games with no season or playoff modes that only offers vs play, just win a game against the computer.  It pretty much falls into the high score/loop point/game with no ending category.  The only games I want to be omitting from the list are duplicates or games that aren't really games (stuff like Color a Dinosaur or Taboo on the NES), as well as competition carts, so even though it doesn't seem like much, that would constitute an ending.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:08:52 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I beat Skyblazer. That game is pretty fun. Def a hidden gem

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:17:28 PM
Revel8 (31)
(Adam ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: TobyManhattan

I've been struggling with MMX2 for a couple days now. I'm on Serges in the last stage and he's pretty tough after you blow up all his cannons.

Yeah X2 is really quite hard.  Much harder than X IMO.  Good luck with it man, I played it several months ago and never even got that far before I had to sell it.

A lot of my games + systems for sale here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:08:10 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

I may have to replay it...I didn't know about the Tournament mode...I just cleared both game types (Shanghai and Dragon's Eye).  I'm gonna have to fire it up and see what the Tournament mode is (think I assumed it was a multiplayer mode or something).  I guess I'll fire it up and let you know if it gives an ending that's different than the one from the two games I played already.

Okay, so I replayed it a ton, and, well, it's an odd one.  I beat the first level of the tournament, got a password, and kept going.  I then shut it off, and chose the second level, which didn't prompt for a password.  I then tried the fourth and final stage of the tournament, and although I'm going to play it to the ending, I'm not convinced the Tournament actually has an end sequence.  I'll try it again tomorrow to confirm, but I have to go to bed now, or I'm never gonna get up for work   As it is though, I'm going to say that my previous method of beating a round of both Shanghai and Dragon's Eye would be enough, at least until I can confirm whether there's an ending.  If there IS a different ending for the Tournament mode, I'll shift the completion order around to account for it's not being completed until, well, tomorrow

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:24:51 AM
DOPLIC (40)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

Okay, so I replayed it a ton, and, well, it's an odd one.  I beat the first level of the tournament, got a password, and kept going.  I then shut it off, and chose the second level, which didn't prompt for a password.  I then tried the fourth and final stage of the tournament, and although I'm going to play it to the ending, I'm not convinced the Tournament actually has an end sequence.  I'll try it again tomorrow to confirm, but I have to go to bed now, or I'm never gonna get up for work   As it is though, I'm going to say that my previous method of beating a round of both Shanghai and Dragon's Eye would be enough, at least until I can confirm whether there's an ending.  If there IS a different ending for the Tournament mode, I'll shift the completion order around to account for it's not being completed until, well, tomorrow

Hm this does sound like an odd one. I can't even figure out what to do in the tournment mode so that one is up to you. I think I'd consider it beaten since the normal gameplay is really the core of the game anyway. Hope you didn't think I was calling you out or anything, I was really just curious

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:44:31 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Hm this does sound like an odd one. I can't even figure out what to do in the tournment mode so that one is up to you. I think I'd consider it beaten since the normal gameplay is really the core of the game anyway. Hope you didn't think I was calling you out or anything, I was really just curious

No, I really didn't know to be honest.  I gave it a run when I checked the manual on the Genesis version (I only collect loose on SNES, so I didn't have the manual handy) and determined it was a single player mode.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:22:12 PM
Jig (4)
Texas
I just finished Troy's Aikman's NFL Football. I played a whole season as the Broncos and made it to the Super Bowl. All I got for winning was the worst ending in all of gaming. The picture I posted was the entire ending!!

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:16:49 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Okay, so after running through Tournament Mode on Shanghai II, it seems that the ending isn't really any different other than the screen that pops up to display what I thought was the password, but was simply your score. Guess the SNES version doesn't HAVE passwords, although the Genesis one claims to in the manual. Anyway, I would say that beating one round of Tournament Mode (one board of Dragon's Eye plus three Shanghai boards with varying configurations) would count, or simply doing what I did initially, which is playing a round of each game (board style is up to the player, there's something like 12 or 13 different layouts to choose from). Good to know for future reference though, and to make sure my personal list is correct

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:01:45 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
NHL 95 and regular Final Fight are completed. Man, Final Fight is insanely laggy. Pretty much half the game the screen is flashing and the controls do nothing. I don't remember it being that bad.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:50:21 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Updated

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:23:42 PM
cheese (67)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
I've taken a short break from SNES to beat Dragon Warrior on the NES for the first time. SO. MUCH. GRINDING.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:42:33 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy completed. That second to last boss in NG1 is a bitch.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:39:34 PM
cheese (67)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Too much grinding on Dragon Warrior, need a break. Started on Inindo tonight. Never played it before, excited for something new.

Edited: 01/31/2014 at 11:40 PM by cheese

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:43:00 PM
Jig (4)
Texas
Power Instinct. Beat.

I've been meaning to spend more time with this game. Underrated game for sure!

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:12:49 PM
rosenken (50)
(Ken Ken) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Mega Man 7 is down!!

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:35:41 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Currently working on Cybernator. I'm getting pretty good. Hopefully I'll have it beat soon!