Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Palette Poll

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:09:24 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
This is just an attempt to show Brian that there is enough demand to consider adding more palette options.  We are not asking to get rid of any of the current palettes to fit new ones, so no worries if you currently have a favorite palette via the AVS.  This poll is only relevant to those actually interested in new palettes.   

If you want to try these color palettes via an emulator you can download the whole set via this link. 

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/Novemeber-2017-Palettes....

Edited: 06/28/2018 at 03:28 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:10:04 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
There is a poll generator. Edit your post and you'll see it.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:11:55 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Where's the option for leaving the palettes alone?

Not a fair poll, if you don't have all the options

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:15:24 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Paul

This is adding palettes not removing any. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:16:46 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

There is a poll generator. Edit your post and you'll see it.
Thanks!

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:17:53 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: BRNexus

I'm not asking for an option to remove palettes,

You're doing a survey/poll to gauge interest in adding new palettes, I'm asking for one of your options to be to leave the current palettes in place as is.

You want to judge what people want, give them all the choices

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:18:20 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Is there really much of a difference between all of these options?

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:19:15 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I'm color blind, so switching palettes doesn't interest me.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:19:22 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

You're doing a survey/poll to gauge interest in adding new palettes, I'm asking for one of your options to be to leave the current palettes in place as is.

Ummm, what kind of person would want less choice?  That makes zero sense.  Adding an extra palette doesn't affect anyone who wouldn't use it. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:20:34 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Is there really much of a difference between all of these options?

Oh most definitely.   

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:26:44 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I am apathetic. I use whatever the default option is.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:27:16 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
OK, so I went back and looked at this again. What's the point? Is there any real value to this for the amount of work that would have to go into it? I mean, colors vary by tv model\brand and color settings anyways. I guess I see this as a waste of time more than anything. So, I guess you can add me to the option of "Does not interest me" if that option becomes available on your list.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:34:09 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

OK, so I went back and looked at this again. What's the point? Is there any real value to this for the amount of work that would have to go into it? I mean, colors vary by tv model\brand and color settings anyways. I guess I see this as a waste of time more than anything. So, I guess you can add me to the option of "Does not interest me" if that option becomes available on your list.
Considering all the palette options available for emulators and the amount of work people go into making them people obviously care.   Also, I highly doubt it would require that much work.  He doesn't have to create new palettes manually lol, he just simply has to add the .Pal file to where ever he stores the Palettes in his firmware code, barring he has enough memory to at least fit one more. 

And if you aren't interested simply don't vote.  If you can't comprehend why someone would like more options then I don't know what to say.   Currently I use Unsat6, but its like 3 generations behind FBX's latest palette.  

Kevtris did the right thing and let people load whatever palette they want on the NT Mini.  Obviously, with the AVS not having an SD Card slot that ability wouldn't be possible without having to hook up the AVS via USB to your computer, if Brian ever decides to make a Palette loader via the Scoreboard software. 

My assumption on why he hasn't added any new palettes since 1.20 FW is he probably wanted to ensure he had enough room to fit all the features he wanted like the horizontal Interpolation option. So, obviously palettes weren't top priority. My main issue is he hasn't really commented on whether new palettes might be added so those of us wanting have been left in the dark for a long time.  I've tried to contact RetroUSB support to no avail. 

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 06:15 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:23:41 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

Kinda what I was thinking.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:29:06 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
i don't have any idea what any of these look like. it'd be nice to have screenshots or at least have a color swatch of each to compare.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:31:03 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

he's not looking for which one you'd prefer vs the default, he's looking for interest in palettes not currently implemented. if none of them interest you, that's your vote.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:34:43 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

Considering all the palette options available for emulators and the amount of work people go into making them people obviously care.   Also, I highly doubt it would require that much work.  He doesn't have to create new palettes manually lol, he just simply has to add the .Pal file to where ever he stores the Palettes in his firmware code, barring he has enough memory to at least fit one more. 

And if you aren't interested simply don't vote.  If you can't comprehend why someone would like more options then I don't know what to say.   Currently I use Unsat6, but its like 3 generations behind FBX's latest palette.  

Kevtris did the right thing and let people load whatever palette they want on the NT Mini.  Obviously, with the AVS not having an SD Card slot that ability wouldn't be possible without having to hook up the AVS via USB to your computer, if Brian ever decides to make a Palette loader via the Scoreboard software. 

My assumption on why he hasn't added any new palettes since 1.20 FW is he probably wanted to ensure he had enough room to fit all the features he wanted like the horizontal Interpolation option. So, obviously palettes weren't top priority. My main issue is he hasn't really commented on whether new palettes might be added so those of us wanting have been left in the dark for a long time.  I've tried to contact RetroUSB support to no avail. 

The bolded is not a very good reason for wanting a feature added. If you want people to vote in your favor, you are going to have to provide context as to why you would like this as a feature and what advantages does it bring to the system. I think it would be a decent amount of work as he would have to build a menu option for it in the new firmware and test the changes. It's not a simple as drag and drop a few palette files into memory.

The highlighted just shows that your poll is very bias as it leaves out a good number of people that would vote "No Interest". You can't just simply tell people not to vote if they don't conform to your opinion. In my opinion, your poll should look like this.
Would you like to see more palette options on the AVS?
Yes
No

Now, you have an unbias poll. Then in the original post, you can state your case to why you feel that this is important feature and why people would want this. Unless you can convince me otherwise, I see no functional purpose to alternate palettes as they are all pretty close anyways. As a programmer of NES games, I don't even mess with the palette options on the emulators. I am honestly very curious as to why this feature is very important to you. I would like understand your reasoning for asking for the feature.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 06:38 PM by Mega Mario Man

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:35:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:36:08 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Kinda what I was thinking.

The current palettes would be left alone in that none would be removed.   Why would someone vote for less choice?   Having more palettes wouldn't affect those that have no interest in them, just stick to the palettes you prefer. 

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 06:36 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:37:38 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Lincoln

he's not looking for which one you'd prefer vs the default, he's looking for interest in palettes not currently implemented. if none of them interest you, that's your vote.
The poll is bias. There is no option to vote "No Interest". I think this is a very important option to have in the poll. It appears from the comments that that is the majority option thus far but that opinion is not reflected in the poll.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:40:51 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

The bolded is not a very good reason for wanting a feature added. If you want people to vote in your favor, you are going to have to provide context as to why you would like this as a feature are what advantages does it bring to the system. I think it would be a decent amount of work as he would have to build a menu option for it in the new firmware and test the changes. It's not a simple as drag and drop a few palette files into memory.

The highlighted just shows that your poll is very bias as it leaves out a good number of people that would vote "No Interest". You can't just simply tell people not to vote if they don't conform to your opinion. In my opinion, your poll should look like this.
Would you like to see more palette options on the AVS?
Yes
No

Now, you have an unbias poll. Then in the original post, you can state your case to why you feel that this is important feature and why people would want this. Unless you can convince me otherwise, I see no functional purpose to alternate palettes as they are all pretty close anyways. As a programmer of NES games, I don't even mess with the palette options on the emulators. I am honestly very curious as to why this feature is very important to you. I would like understand your reasoning for asking for the feature.

You are aware that a palette menu already exists in the AVS right?   And yes, this poll is biased for those who are interested in additional palettes.  If you aren't interested than this poll is irrelevant to you.  

This is simply to gauge how much interest there is for additional palettes and specifically which one would people like to see most implemented. 

There is zero point adding a "not interested" option since you would be voting against more options and no rational thinking person would be against more choice. 

Basically, not voting is your vote.  

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 06:44 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:44:22 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

The poll is bias. There is no option to vote "No Interest". I think this is a very important option to have in the poll. It appears from the comments that that is the majority option thus far but that opinion is not reflected in the poll.

if you have no interest then this poll is irrelevant to you. if a bunch of people vote for a new option then it might be worth considering for retrousb to implement. it doesn't matter how many people like the default because nobody is asking for it to go away.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:46:33 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

no rational thinking person would be against more choice. 

There has to be a business case to warrant RetroUSB devoting resources to implementing 'more choice' when the choices we have are sufficient and nothing has really been shown to prove otherwise. Sure to you it's 'more choice' but it sounds like more work with little or no benefit to a business. soooo there is a rational point of view. There becomes a situation of diminished returns.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:47:17 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: Lincoln

if you have no interest then this poll is irrelevant to you. if a bunch of people vote for a new option then it might be worth considering for retrousb to implement. it doesn't matter how many people like the default because nobody is asking for it to go away.

Exactly, he clearly doesn't understand the point of this poll.  If he's not interested then none of this concerns him.  Voting against something that has no affect on you makes zero sense. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:49:07 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: AaronE

no rational thinking person would be against more choice. 

There has to be a business case to warrant RetroUSB devoting resources to implementing 'more choice' when the choices we have are sufficient and nothing has really been shown to prove otherwise. Sure to you it's 'more choice' but it sounds like more work with little or no benefit to a business. soooo there is a rational point of view. There becomes a situation of diminished returns.

yeah! maybe we could figute out a way to see if there's enough demand for new options! maybe pose the question to interested parties, like a poll or something!