Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SMB/DH/WCTM proto and VGA GRADED ARCADIA VI Yup, they slabbed one!

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:20:13 AM
Nintendo Workshop (60)
(Ryan ) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
100 Million Dollars..... Hmmm Ahhh Hmmm Ahhh.....

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:50:10 AM
SlowJamzMixtape (25)
(Richard Smith) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee
Honestly, I'd pay about $100 for this. This proto stuff is nuts and has nowhere to go but down.

-------------------------
I need the following Xbox games CIB preferred, pm me and I'll throw money at you!
Stubbs the Zombie, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Psychonauts, Sniperelite, Conker Live and Reloaded, Madden '09, Barbie Horse Adventures

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:55:09 AM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: SlowJamzMixtape

Honestly, I'd pay about $100 for this. This proto stuff is nuts and has nowhere to go but down.
You're so right. I couldn't agree more. Prototypes are shit. The HOBBY has nowhere to go but down. If it were me, I'd just sell out right now. Unfortunately I don't get home for a few more days, so I'm gonna have to keep my whole collection for that much longer. I hope it doesn't depreciate to zero value within this week!

I can't wait for gamesniped to pick this up.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:38:10 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Just wait until this sells for 200K, Yahoo makes another stupid-ass news article and every redneck in America thinks their old NES shit is worth money. And I hate myself more for typing this because I know something like this is gonna happen again sooner or later

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:27:35 AM
Jon Solo (80)
(ジョン ・ソロ) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Good luck Mr. Mark! Have you been flooded with proto requests yet?

Dreamcast US collection - 83% complete. 
 42 games to go! 

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:27:57 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
Originally posted by: duncan

This cart looks familiar. Is this the one that sold on ebay a couple years ago for less than $500?

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...
That was my thoughts as well.  I remember watching that auction to the very end.  I was suprised they went for so low, I was quite tempted to put a bid on them then and now  I think it was a mistake that I didn't.  Oh well...

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:26:16 AM
Atamos (0)
(Sébastien B) < Crack Trooper >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Phins

Just wait until this sells for 200K, Yahoo makes another stupid-ass news article and every redneck in America thinks their old NES shit is worth money. And I hate myself more for typing this because I know something like this is gonna happen again sooner or later

I agree, some people have too much money to waste...

www.legrospixel.com

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:31:50 PM
SlowJamzMixtape (25)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: superNESman

Originally posted by: SlowJamzMixtape

You're so right. I couldn't agree more. Prototypes are shit. The HOBBY has nowhere to go but down. If it were me, I'd just sell out right now. Unfortunately I don't get home for a few more days, so I'm gonna have to keep my whole collection for that much longer. I hope it doesn't depreciate to zero value within this week!

I can't wait for gamesniped to pick this up.

I need the following Xbox games CIB preferred, pm me and I'll throw money at you!
Stubbs the Zombie, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, Psychonauts, Sniperelite, Conker Live and Reloaded, Madden '09, Barbie Horse Adventures

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:10:45 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
I'd pay quite a bit for this, but it's out of my range. It's worth every penny of the asking price. Everyone will be slapping themselves in 15 years when we look back at this thread and say that it sold for ONLY 150k. Video games as pure art? Here you go.

eBay listings here

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:42:50 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140817661...

Get your popcorn baby!

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:50:44 PM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Best of luck Mark! I doubt it'll fetch as much as Tom's but then again I don't know jack about prototypes so take my opinion for what it's worth (which is nothing ).

I'm going to guess you'll get $25k for it (the SMB combo).

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:27:45 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: WolfAlmighty

Best of luck Mark! I doubt it'll fetch as much as Tom's but then again I don't know jack about prototypes so take my opinion for what it's worth (which is nothing ).

I know it sounds odd, but I'm not super concerned with the end price.  Yeah, I love cash as much as the next guy, but Matt and I have a plan that we're hoping this will help unfold.

Remember how many sealed Stadium Events came out of the woodwork when the second went up for auction and broke records?  Well, with Tom's killer, high profile recent sale, Matt and I think that listing these at high prices, along with the media attention from Tom's sale, will usher in a whole new group of people that have been sitting on prototypes.

I have a gut feeling that things like Ultimate Journey and Police Academy are really out there waiting to be uncovered.  I'm also guessing that owners of these protos and others like them have NO IDEA that people are still interested in these games.  If I could get some press on Yahoo or something similar, there is an outside shot that someone sees it and lists something for sale because of it.

I know, wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:38:15 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
I'm glad to see VGA didn't assign a grade to a prototype, that would have been meaningless. I'm all for authentication and preservation though.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:39:26 PM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Idk, Id say that the unreleased/undumped protos are still very valuable.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:58:22 PM
SlowJamzMixtape (25)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Originally posted by: WolfAlmighty

I know it sounds odd, but I'm not super concerned with the end price.  Yeah, I love cash as much as the next guy, but Matt and I have a plan that we're hoping this will help unfold.

Remember how many sealed Stadium Events came out of the woodwork when the second went up for auction and broke records?  Well, with Tom's killer, high profile recent sale, Matt and I think that listing these at high prices, along with the media attention from Tom's sale, will usher in a whole new group of people that have been sitting on prototypes.

I have a gut feeling that things like Ultimate Journey and Police Academy are really out there waiting to be uncovered.  I'm also guessing that owners of these protos and others like them have NO IDEA that people are still interested in these games.  If I could get some press on Yahoo or something similar, there is an outside shot that someone sees it and lists something for sale because of it.

I know, wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened.

I like this idea, I hope it pans out. It would be unreal to have mass unreleased games show up

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:58:56 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: B.A.

I'm glad to see VGA didn't assign a grade to a prototype, that would have been meaningless. I'm all for authentication and preservation though.

It's funny, they actually asked me twice if I wanted a grade (once on the phone before I submitted it, once in email while they had it) and Matt and I asked them not too. I don't want someone comparing a 80+ Kitty's Catch to a 90 Arcadia VI, you know? Anyway, I think VGA'd protos will be pretty well received. The data is backed up, so that's done, now it's just in a nice case with a certificate of authenticity. Thanks for the support guys, wonder where things are going with this stuff.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:18:14 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
VGA authenticates protos! I did not know that. I think it looks amazing slabbed. Good luck man.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:05:18 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

It's funny, they actually asked me twice if I wanted a grade (once on the phone before I submitted it, once in email while they had it) and Matt and I asked them not too. I don't want someone comparing a 80+ Kitty's Catch to a 90 Arcadia VI, you know? Anyway, I think VGA'd protos will be pretty well received. The data is backed up, so that's done, now it's just in a nice case with a certificate of authenticity. Thanks for the support guys, wonder where things are going with this stuff.

The politics of grading protos aside I think for resale value that a grade would have been the way to go. Sure 70, 80 , 90 on a prototype who cares right but a "no grade" is like a big stain that you can't help but to focus on. Why does it have a no grade people must think to themselves and they will assume something is wrong with it.  In the world of coins damaged or doctored coins will come back with a "no grade" grade. So for some collectors no grade = serious hidden problem. 

Just make it clear that the "no grade" was by your design and that a buyer could have a it re-graded with a score should they desire it. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:10:10 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: buyatari2

The politics of grading protos aside I think for resale value that a grade would have been the way to go. Sure 70, 80 , 90 on a prototype who cares right but a "no grade" is like a big stain that you can't help but to focus on. Why does it have a no grade people must think to themselves and they will assume something is wrong with it.  In the world of coins damaged or doctored coins will come back with a "no grade" grade. So for some collectors no grade = serious hidden problem. 

Just make it clear that the "no grade" was by your design and that a buyer could have a it re-graded with a score should they desire it. 

Excellent points for sure.  As I said before, making money kicks ass and I have no problem selling this if the price is right.  That being said, something about giving a proto a grade makes me feel weird, so I had to stick with the NG rating.

I think that it could hurt sales as you said, so I should be clear that a buyer could have it regraded if they'd like.  I'm hoping the certificate will help with the sale (it cost enough that it should!) to make up for the lack of a grade.

Certainly something to think about for my future submissions.  I just purchased a platinum membership with VGA, so I can mess around with some different options in the future

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:23:41 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
If instead it said Authentic instead of No grade it would be better but then you are telling VGA how to do things.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:46:39 PM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California

If instead it said Authentic instead of No grade it would be better but then you are telling VGA how to do things.

I really like that idea, but I think at the same it might be redundant. They wouldn't slab something if it wasn't authentic.  However, I would much rather see "Authentic" then "No Grade".  Look amazing either way! Good luck MrMark on uncovering more protos!

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58:48 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: theguy1962

I really like that idea, but I think at the same it might be redundant. They wouldn't slab something if it wasn't authentic.  However, I would much rather see "Authentic" then "No Grade".  Look amazing either way! Good luck MrMark on uncovering more protos!

Redundant perhaps but it brings up the question.... can VGA really authenticate a proto? Is someone here working with them on this?

If I re-burn a set of chips with a better ROM on an existing dev board what happens when I mail it in? Can I make and then have VGA authenticate another Earthbound prototype?

Edited: 08/04/2012 at 07:59 PM by buyatari2

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:06:47 PM
Atamos (0)
(Sébastien B) < Crack Trooper >
Quebec

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140817661906?ssPageName=STRK:ME...

Get your popcorn baby!

Why Mark, why, I don't think prototypes belong in a acrylic sealed case, you can't play it and you can't open it, what's the point, making more money I suppose ? A normal acrylic case that you can open would be more than enough to do the job, this is only my opinion, but I do not support this kind of practice, ridiculous.

www.legrospixel.com

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:12:57 PM
Bryansvideotrader (36)
(Bryan Sunkle) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
It's more for the verification.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:16:09 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Atamos

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140817661906?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:...

Get your popcorn baby!
Why Mark, why, I don't think prototypes belong in a acrylic sealed case, you can't play it and you can't open it, what's the point, making more money I suppose ? A normal acrylic case that you can open would be more than enough to do the job, this is only my opinion, but I do not support this kind of practice, ridiculous.
What prototypes do you own? 

Oh.