Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Authentic" Zelda test cart

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:07:31 AM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Hate to bring this up again, but I thought the only way to prove authenticity was the back label. How can this be advertised as "authentic"?

s://m.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-... OAAAOSwOA1Z~5c2

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:07:04 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Seller has a lot of good stuff and 100% feedback, I'm assuming he or she is well known and has a good reputation

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:10:50 AM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Originally posted by: Bert

Seller has a lot of good stuff and 100% feedback, I'm assuming he or she is well known and has a good reputation

That's fine. But thats not the point. The only way to authenticate the cart is the back label. It doesn't have that.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:09:31 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: 98ViperGTS

Hate to bring this up again, but I thought the only way to prove authenticity was the back label. How can this be advertised as "authentic"?

Maybe because the seller bought it off of someone who did repair work for Nintendo, as a lot of other folks who ended up with these did?  Who knows, why not ask the guy?  It's possible it's a phony, but given the guy's other inventory and reputation, probably not (or at least they don't know about it if it is).  If you've got doubts, ask.  If you still have doubts, don't bid.  That honestly seems way too much for a technically damaged cart that, unless somehow specifically verified and then forever sealed in a plastic prison by one of the grading companies, will always suffer the same doubt by those in the know that you're expressing right now.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:30:01 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Originally posted by: Bert

Holy smokes. That they do. That Hagane box is crisp. 

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:36:37 AM
SilvertongueBullet (5)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I've actually come across this seller several times on eBay. From what I have seen them sell or put up on auction had been all legit.... So idk....

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:42:27 AM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
I'm not saying the seller is trying to sell a fake. I'm merely pointing out that it's advertised as "authentic", when there is no way to verify that without the label on the back

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:37:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
I wouldn't touch that one. Not worth the hassle without the back label.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:35:07 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
So, in the interest of finding the truth I think we should do a little game theory here.

If this was "fake", meaning, if this was a different test cart that was gutted and replaced with a zelda sticker/pcb, then wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the back label as well? Why go to the effort to replace the front label but not the back label?

My zelda test cart has a REV-A (top right) NES-ZL871104 (bottom left) label that is gold.

I don't think that the shell is fake, it looks the right color. Im not saying it cannot be done, but I've not spotted a fake shell yet that had the right color...they are always noticeably off color.

THPS sucks

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:05:54 PM
MadsenGaming (25)
(Ben Madsen) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Yes, that seller is legit. Him and his brother (I'm assuming) run two different eBay stores, both with a little over 20k feedback. "twobrothergames" and "cjmarq" or something. They get some really nice stuff, and prices can be all over the place from pretty fair to outrageously high. My only problem with them is that their communication is awful. I've probably asked them 10 different questions over the last few years and have never once gotten a response.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:32:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
I think it is probably real, but it will always be questioned. So if you buy it and ever decide to sell it then you have to answer the same questions all over again. So unless it's a super deal (which it isn't), not worth the hassle.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:32:01 PM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Originally posted by: Sorn

So, in the interest of finding the truth I think we should do a little game theory here.

If this was "fake", meaning, if this was a different test cart that was gutted and replaced with a zelda sticker/pcb, then wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the back label as well? Why go to the effort to replace the front label but not the back label?

My zelda test cart has a REV-A (top right) NES-ZL871104 (bottom left) label that is gold.

I don't think that the shell is fake, it looks the right color. Im not saying it cannot be done, but I've not spotted a fake shell yet that had the right color...they are always noticeably off color.

NGD inspected my cart in person and compared it to his zelda cart and believed it to be real. The plastic is definitely a legit yellow test cart. But there is no back label.

https://i.imgur.com/8ux9k2r.jpg...

Edited: 12/24/2017 at 11:38 PM by 98ViperGTS

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:36:10 AM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Have we really gotten to the point when people question if a damaged cart is real or fake?
It is a damaged cart.
In any other hobby a damaged item such as this is worth 5-10% or less than that of one in mint shape.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:09:59 AM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Originally posted by: MadsenGaming

Yes, that seller is legit. Him and his brother (I'm assuming) run two different eBay stores, both with a little over 20k feedback. "twobrothergames" and "cjmarq" or something. They get some really nice stuff, and prices can be all over the place from pretty fair to outrageously high. My only problem with them is that their communication is awful. I've probably asked them 10 different questions over the last few years and have never once gotten a response.

Yes, again, I'm not questioning if the seller is legit. Regardless of how amazing the seller is, according to all of the information that I have run into on these zelda test carts, the only way to really show that they are "authentic", is the back label. It's missing the back label, as is mine, however, they both are legit yellow carts. Somebody would have to destroy a yellow test cart to make the zelda one. Seems highly unlikely to me. But my point about this post, is that the item was listed as authentic, but there really is no way to authenticate it.

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:11:54 AM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
Originally posted by: Buyatari

Have we really gotten to the point when people question if a damaged cart is real or fake?
It is a damaged cart.
In any other hobby a damaged item such as this is worth 5-10% or less than that of one in mint shape.

If the only thing that points to authenticity was removed, wouldn't you question it?

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:12:43 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
The back sticker does help authenticate it, yes, but I doubt it was a universal mandate
Most of these seem to have been thrown together in test centers with leftover shells and labels anyway

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:39:15 AM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio

Originally posted by: Buyatari

It is a damaged cart.

If the only thing that points to authenticity was removed, wouldn't you question it?

If it is worth say $200 in a damaged state and you would have to sacrifice another yellow test cart to make it, no I wouldn't question it very long. 

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:58:53 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California

NGD inspected my cart in person and compared it to his zelda cart and believed it to be real. The plastic is definitely a legit yellow test cart. But there is no back label. https://i.imgur.com/8ux9k2r.jpg

Yea. Honestly I think thats just how these test carts go. There simply is no way to authenticate them since there was no standardized protocol for creating them. What was even the purpose of putting the sticker on the back shell anyways? Its not like it was going to be sold to the public and needed licensing/copyright info.

NGD = NationalGameDepot?

Im sure he's qualified to assess things, but since there is no real standardized protocol in the creation of these carts, how can he authenticate them? The only thing we can really do is use the hivemind of the community to assess the situation to determine the confidence of authenticity....and that's the best we are ever going to get. Its a retail zelda pcb with a zelda sticker and nothing else that could distinguish it from a retail cart other than the yellow shell. So at we can really do is look at the shell, its color, its attestment to age/wear, and speculate on it being an original.

THPS sucks

Edited: 12/25/2017 at 01:59 PM by Sorn

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:22:10 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Does the back label of a Zelda test cart actually differ from the normal retail cart? I can't remember.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:33:42 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: pegboy

Does the back label of a Zelda test cart actually differ from the normal retail cart? I can't remember.

No, it does not, and that's why it cannot be used to authenticate anything. 

THPS sucks

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:36:09 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Isn't it really hard to remove a label from an NES game and still have it look right? I feel like a relabel would look pretty obvious. Does anyone have pics of a confirmed fake, that looks genuine?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Edited: 12/27/2017 at 02:37 PM by Bort License Plate

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:00:10 PM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland

It certainly does. The test cart is not embossed like the retail label

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:18:00 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California

It certainly does. The test cart is not embossed like the retail label

Shit, you are totally correct. I completely forgot about that little detail and now that you mention it I remember going through this before. Its been a few years though :/

For preservation, I have taken a snapshot of a regular zelda label vs my test cart. It does indeed lack the embossing.

https://imgur.com/a/ZGEGl...

THPS sucks

Edited: 12/27/2017 at 06:19 PM by Sorn