Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit! Kevtris comes up with a winner!

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:42:36 PM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Hi all. First time poster.

I got my toaster NES modded with the Hi-Def NES a few months back and I absolutely love it.

I just upgraded to a new TV, a 55 inch Samsung KS8000. It's a great set but when I put it into Game Mode with the Hi-Def NES turned on, a humming noise comes out of the speaker.The NES outputs sound normally, but there's this humming that sits underneath the sound. I also recently just got my Gamecube modded for the HDMI Gamecube mod and it does the same thing.

I've tried contacting Samsung but I've just dealt with tier 1 support and after the basic troubleshooting steps, they wrote it off as me having devices "not compatible with 4K sets" (sure.).

Does anyone have any insight? I'll try back with Samsung asking for someone higher than tier 1 but at the moment I'm at a loss of what to do next.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:53:18 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Do you still hear it with the speakers muted or the volume turned all the way down?

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:01:10 PM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks for the reply!

No. The hum is consistent with the volume settings. Mute = no sound whatsoever, more volume = more sound from the NES and louder hum.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:02:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: agentaxiom
I've tried contacting Samsung but I've just dealt with tier 1 support and after the basic troubleshooting steps, they wrote it off as me having devices "not compatible with 4K sets" (sure.).
You didn't tell them these were modded devices, did you? That would give them the out they need to pass the problem on to someone else.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:12:11 PM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Not initially.

When pressed, I eventually did. I'm going to have my brother bring his Retron 5 out this weekend to see if it has the same issue in game mode.

Where I left off with support was that I would try hooking these up to another 4K set and see if the issue happened there as well since they said 4K was the problem.

I haven't had the chance to do that yet, though. And honestly it seems silly to me that 4K would be the issue, but I'll put it through the paces for troubleshooting sake.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:14:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Not initially.

When pressed, I eventually did.
I wouldn't divulge that info to them if you call back. They'll always just point to the mod as the problem rather than actually looking into it. Just say it's a game console.

Not saying it isn't the mod, it very well could be, but don't give them the excuse to end the call early.

Edited: 02/03/2017 at 01:16 PM by Tulpa

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:38:46 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Samsung TVs are goofy/picky just ask KHAN and bunnyboy.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:18:23 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Yup, Samsungs output their signal different than other brands. This is why bunnyboy couldn't release his modified HDMI toploaders and instead focused on building a system from the ground up.

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:32:55 PM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks for the input! I didn't have any issues with my old Samsung set circa 2009 (but it started going out, hence the new set). I'll try calling them this weekend as well to see if there's anything that can be done.

If I hit a wall, I'll send it back. So that said.. anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to this 55 inch KS8000?

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:14:40 PM
Mobiusstriptech (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Have you tried different hdmi cables or hooking it up through something else first, like a switcher or receiver?

For mod work and questions email us at [email protected]

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:22:24 PM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks! Yes. I've tried various HDMI cables that I have and even bought a new one. I also have a switcher and tried that as well, no joy.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:24:51 PM
Mobiusstriptech (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Interesting. I have an older Samsung 4k and have not had that issue. Maybe it's only the newer ones?

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:56:15 AM
kwaza (3)
(Ricky T.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona

Thanks! Yes. I've tried various HDMI cables that I have and even bought a new one. I also have a switcher and tried that as well, no joy.

He, I had a similar issue when I first connected my Hi Def to my LG smart tv. I also had a low hum on my tv. After trying other cables, power cords and checking if I soldered the new capacitors correctly, I found it was an audio setting on my tv. I began messing with my audio settings on the tv, I noticed that I had a setting called Clear Voice II that was enabled. After I disabled that setting, the low hum was gone. I suggest u try turning on and off all your tvs audio setting and see if any of them fixes the issue.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:58:22 PM
whoisJSR (0)

< Cherub >
Hey all! Just out of curiosity, has anyone had an issue with their Hi-Def NES' freezing? Mine has done it a lot, HOWEVER only when I'm using my EverDrive N8. I thought it could be a bad SD card or old firmware so I bought a new one and updated to the current firmware... and it still freezes. Specifically, when I'm playing Zelda 1 Randomizer, but it's frozen playing other vanilla games as well.

Could it be a bad cap? I haven't replaced them yet. Or perhaps the power supply? Maybe even the EverDrive N8 itself?

Any help would be amazing! Thanks in advance  

EDIT: For the record, the Everdrive did freeze once on a stock NES... that was a long time ago and has worked flawlessly since.  Also I modded the NES myself, and I don't have any issues playing actual carts.  Only roms on an Everdrive.  Randomizer freezes almost 50% of the time now  

Edited: 02/20/2017 at 05:01 PM by whoisJSR

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:03:12 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Is the Hi-Def NES freezing or the NES? Sounds like that would be more of an issue with your NES than the Hi-Def NES

Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:39:05 PM
Mobiusstriptech (22)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Are you using a frontloader? I have seen things like this with the standard 72pin connector. Try running through composite output with the same game that keeps freezing.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:59:52 AM
agentaxiom (0)

< Cherub >
Hi again folks. Sorry for the delay but I wanted to wait until the dust had settled on my situation (read: exchanges and refunds) before giving an update.

So last we left off, I was stuck. There was no way to get game mode running on my Samsung set and not have the humming noise. I was able to replicate the humming outside of game mode through a couple of different sound settings, movie and clear voice. My conclusion was that in game mode Samsung had locked the sound settings into either one of those and there was no way to disable them. My theory is that if Samsung produced a firmware update that would allow the sound settings to be changed or locked it into a different sound preset, things would probably be fine. However, since both the Hi-Def NES and GCVideo are pretty niche products it's unlikely that they would want to invest time, money and effort into addressing this.

Ultimately, after a lot (and I mean a lot) of back and forth with the folks I bought the original set through, Newegg, I was able to exchange the set for a Sony XBR55850D. It's not as good of a set overall as my original Samsung, but it does play everything Hi-Def NES and GCVideo related perfectly in game mode, and judging by recent news it won't be peering into my living room like the Samsung.

Aug 26, 2017 at 6:20:57 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: whoisJSR

Hey all! Just out of curiosity, has anyone had an issue with their Hi-Def NES' freezing? Mine has done it a lot, HOWEVER only when I'm using my EverDrive N8. I thought it could be a bad SD card or old firmware so I bought a new one and updated to the current firmware... and it still freezes. Specifically, when I'm playing Zelda 1 Randomizer, but it's frozen playing other vanilla games as well.

Could it be a bad cap? I haven't replaced them yet. Or perhaps the power supply? Maybe even the EverDrive N8 itself?

Any help would be amazing! Thanks in advance  

EDIT: For the record, the Everdrive did freeze once on a stock NES... that was a long time ago and has worked flawlessly since.  Also I modded the NES myself, and I don't have any issues playing actual carts.  Only roms on an Everdrive.  Randomizer freezes almost 50% of the time now  
I stopped using the Everdrive for Hi-Def NES burn-ins because it was having a semi-consistent freeze that didn't happen with a real game. I have both versions of SMB3 and it'll run all day and night with either of them but often when I load up the game on my Everdrive and leave it on the World 1 map screen it will be locked up in about 15 minutes. Other times it will be fine on the Everdrive and run for hours with no issues but I've done a lot of testing and the freeze definitely only happens on the Everdrive.