Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Toobin' Contest ends Sunday, 11/23/14 at 11 PM NA time

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:39:30 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  Throw on your swim trunks, grabs a few cans of pop, and jump in your inner-tube for some wet and wild fun on the river.  Dodge crazed fishermen, avoid hungry alligators, out-run swamp creatures ready to drag you down to an icy grave and more in Toobin.  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Take your picture on the Game Over screen
  • Any type of point glitches or level looping in order to rack up on points is forbidden
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Arcade

The contest ends Sunday, 11/23/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 11/25/2014 at 06:22 PM by bimmy_lee

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:57:30 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Any rules about warps?

Also, anybody know what is up with the letters?
I haven't seen any, and it made it Cuprum with something like 426k pts. Just checked Twin Galaxies for some context on what constitutes a high score and the world record is in the 4 million range, with a couple other submissions in e millions.

Edited: 11/16/2014 at 05:01 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:23:59 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Gave it a quick go on an Emulator, and I have to say that I love it way more than P.O.W.
I can't stand P.O.W.
Or maybe I just dig games by Franz Lanzinger (Same programmer as Krazy Kreatures)

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:54:35 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Or maybe I just dig games by Franz Lanzinger (Same programmer as Krazy Kreatures)

Really?

Toobin is fun, but Krazy Kreatures was pretty uninspired, IMO.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:56:54 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York

Gave it a quick go on an Emulator, and I have to say that I love it way more than P.O.W.
I can't stand P.O.W.

If you think P.O.W. NES is terrible, try the arcade game.  It's pure crap and one of those instances where the NES rework is superior to the arcade origional (i.e. Contra and Super C).

I've never played Toobin before, so this should be an interesting week.  Back to the emulator too, I don't own a cart of this game.

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:07:44 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
For some reason I thought I owned this one but can't find it anywhere. I guess I too will be using emulator

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:08:47 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Really?

Toobin is fun, but Krazy Kreatures was pretty uninspired, IMO.

I kinda like Krazy Kreatures actually. Maybe it's because it was one of my first unlicensed games...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:17:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So I found the first "O" hidden in the 2nd level... is there supposed to be one letter in every level, or are they distributed out of order?

I could have sworn I clobbered everything in Level 1, and no "T" anywhere.

EDIT:  discovered that the letters are out of order... found the T in Level 4, and the second O in Level 3.

Edited: 11/17/2014 at 03:35 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:33:47 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

Are we allowed to do the "psst wanna trade 3 letters for another tube" thing?

EDIT:  nevermind, just tried it and it works like a "continue" where you lose all your points and start over.

I thought it was going to be like buying an extra life by sacrificing letter bonuses, or something.

Edited: 11/17/2014 at 03:35 PM by arch_8ngel

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:35:46 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Highest score wins

If it's easy to abuse this by gaining a lot of extra lives, then it should be forbidden.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:36:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

If it's easy to abuse this by gaining a lot of extra lives, then it should be forbidden.

You replied before my edit.

It turns out it is just a "continue", so it scraps your score.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:39:04 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

You replied before my edit.

It turns out it is just a "continue", so it scraps your score.

Haha, no problem.  Since it is just a continue, there's really no reason for anyone to do it.  Unless someone wants to keep playing the game after their score attempt to try out some of the later stages.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:41:56 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Haha, no problem.  Since it is just a continue, there's really no reason for anyone to do it.  Unless someone wants to keep playing the game after their score attempt to try out some of the later stages.
Speaking of later stages, I'm assuming that warps are valid?

I doubt they are of any benefit in a point contest, since if you can hack it at the higher levels there are a ton of points to be gained working your way up there naturally.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:48:19 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I doubt they are of any benefit in a point contest, since if you can hack it at the higher levels there are a ton of points to be gained working your way up there naturally.

I didn't realize there were warps in the game when I was playtesting it since I never found one, but if all they do is warp you to a spot later in the game, then they can be valid.  Like you said, it probably wouldn't do anyone any good to use them since you will miss out on a lot of valuable points.  As long as the warps don't take you backward in the game, then they will be valid for the contest.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:51:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I didn't realize there were warps in the game when I was playtesting it since I never found one, but if all they do is warp you to a spot later in the game, then they can be valid.  Like you said, it probably wouldn't do anyone any good to use them since you will miss out on a lot of valuable points.  As long as the warps don't take you backward in the game, then they will be valid for the contest.
I've never used one (I've only played the game a couple of times) but I gather that the whirlpools that pop up in certain levels (anywhere before the screen stops scrolling) are warps to later levels of the game.

It's not like the warps in KLAX for instance that come with a big score bonus.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think there might be a late-game level-loop that you can sort of get stuck in if you're not good enough to get to the right whirlpool.  Maybe I misread the walkthrough, though.

It's going to be a hell of a game to get that far without needing a continue, though, IMO.

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:55:36 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I've never used one (I've only played the game a couple of times) but I gather that the whirlpools that pop up in certain levels (anywhere before the screen stops scrolling) are warps to later levels of the game.

It's not like the warps in KLAX for instance that come with a big score bonus.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think there might be a late-game level-loop that you can sort of get stuck in if you're not good enough to get to the right whirlpool.  Maybe I misread the walkthrough, though.

It's going to be a hell of a game to get that far without needing a continue, though, IMO.

I'll put in a rule making point glitches and level loops forbidden just in case anyone finds them throughout the game.  I find it easier to add rules like this early in the week so we can avoid throwing out scores later in the week if someone doesn't discover a point glitch until then.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:15:19 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I'll put in a rule making point glitches and level loops forbidden just in case anyone finds them throughout the game.  I find it easier to add rules like this early in the week so we can avoid throwing out scores later in the week if someone doesn't discover a point glitch until then.

OK.

I don't think we need a rule against it, or anything, but I will point out that this is definitely a game where dying repeatedly on certain  levels is more valuable than progression if you're not going to be able to beat a later level.

That is, I don't think you can generate a 1-up loop, or anything like that.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:25:31 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
PS - this brings to light another fairly good game that has no viable maps available anywhere. (like Adventure Island 1)

Might put this on my guide to-do list, since it actually is fairly fun and I think would be worth beating.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:26:34 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
This and John Elway's QB have to be some of the worst nes cover art.

May the force be with you.

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:29:37 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

OK.

I don't think we need a rule against it, or anything, but I will point out that this is definitely a game where dying repeatedly on certain  levels is more valuable than progression if you're not going to be able to beat a later level.

That is, I don't think you can generate a 1-up loop, or anything like that.

If someone can't beat a level and they decide to use up all their lives on it is perfectly fine.  It's within the parameters of the rules and doesn't constitute as point racking in my opinion.  That's good to know that no one should be able to generate a 1-up loop, but I will leave the rule in there just in case someone finds a way.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:37:04 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Got to Brontasaurus (one of the Class 3 rapids) and finally died.

With continues I made it to the Class 4 rapids. I am guessing the game goes to Class 5.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:47:55 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

With continues I made it to the Class 4 rapids. I am guessing the game goes to Class 5.

It goes to at least Class 8, which starts with another Yukon rapids.  I've got that far using warps in the past.  There may be a ninth, but I can't remember since it's been a while since I last played this.

Edited: 11/17/2014 at 10:48 PM by EgasKrad

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:54:04 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

It goes to at least Class 8, which starts with another Yukon rapids.  I've got that far using warps in the past.  There may be a ninth, but I can't remember since it's been a while since I last played this.
Really?  That is just stupid.  Rapids only go to Class 6 where class 6 is defined as completely impassable.

You'd think it wouldn't be hard for them to at least get that right

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:02:50 AM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Really?  That is just stupid.  Rapids only go to Class 6 where class 6 is defined as completely impassable.

If anything, it may give players this week more incentive to beat the game or get to at least Class 7.  If it happens, they can say they defied logic

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:12:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

If anything, it may give players this week more incentive to beat the game or get to at least Class 7.  If it happens, they can say they defied logic

It makes me wonder what class of rapids the world record reached, then, since I just assumed they beat the game (to break 4 million).

But my game last night (Brontasaurus is the 2nd class 3 rapid, I think), I was within a couple thousand points of 1 million, already.

The letter bonuses are pretty huge, BTW.  Though i missed the apostrophe on the Mississippi River, since that one is so fast, and just hard to survive in general.