Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

RetroUSB AVS & Reproductions Question

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:54:55 AM
Ronin64 (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Hi, I recently got my AVS and am really liking it, but I was wondering how it works with reproductions. I ordered a rom hack reproduction from OCDRreproductions.com and I'm a little paranoid it may not work. Does the AVS play Reproductions from donors just as well as the NES does? I know the AVS works with most everything the real NES does, but I'd just like some reassurance.
Also another question about the AVS. I was also looking in to getting a Mr.Gimmik reproduction from the same website, but they offer two versions, Regular Audio & Full Audio. But it says you need "the full audio mod" for Full Audio version. Does the AVS support this?

Sorry if these question are obvious, but I'm new to these things.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:58:01 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I have two reproductions, the homebrew Blade Buster and a bootleg of the Famicom game Recca (on a donor NES board, not a Famicom board with the adapter.) Both play with no hitches. There were a few glitches before on earlier firmware on some homebrew titles, but most if not all of those should have been addressed. If anything, you can shoot [email protected] an email if you encounter any.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:27:10 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
You should expect the avs to play anything an original NES does. There may be some edge case issues but those usually get fixed with firmware updates.

The audio mod is reqyired for square body NES only. The avs supports expansion audio out of the box.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:35:30 PM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I have a couple OCD repros and they run fine on my AVS and I haven't updated yet. Also I play my homebrews on the AVS and haven't run into an issue yet. The only problem I've had is a famicom kid dracula have problems loading occasionally not load but I think I just need to clean it up and I bet it will be fine.

Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:02:36 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Lincoln

You should expect the avs to play anything an original NES does. There may be some edge case issues but those usually get fixed with firmware updates.

The audio mod is reqyired for square body NES only. The avs supports expansion audio out of the box.

What about a top loader?

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:23:49 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: TheFinder

What about a top loader?

the top loader doesn't have any of the expansion audio circuit iirc. you'd have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, if it's even possible. it's basically 'not available'

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:44:52 AM
StudyHallPanic#@! (6)
(Jason M Hill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
The AVS has played everything I've ever tried with it including donor boards, new boards & Chinese bootlegs.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:47:04 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Originally posted by: TheFinder

What about a top loader?

the top loader doesn't have any of the expansion audio circuit iirc. you'd have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, if it's even possible. it's basically 'not available'

Got it. Thanks!

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:15:27 PM
Ronin64 (0)

< Cherub >
Alabama
Thanks again, everyone. Very helpful.

Originally posted by: StudyHallPanic#@!

The AVS has played everything I've ever tried with it including donor boards, new boards & Chinese bootlegs.
I have a couple questions regarding those Chinese bootlegs.
How well made and reliable are they? I've seen eBay listings saying to restart the NES multiple time if the game doesn't start.
Also are they safe to use? Meaning will the short out or fry anything. I don't really have much trust in a random Chinese eBay seller who is selling illegal items.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:37:55 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Ronin64

I don't really have much trust in a random Chinese eBay seller who is selling illegal items.

You shouldnt. Dont buy that garbage. Find another way to play whatever game you want. Flash carts are great, get a PowerPak.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:57:32 PM
Henners (0)
< Cherub >
I've thrown oddball stuff at the AVS and ran into issues. Kart Fighter doesn't work (has lines) and a few NSS multicarts have lines too. All have been reported to retroUsb

IG https://www.instagram.com/neo_robo/
Tumblr http://neorobo.tumblr.com/