Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Audio Thoughts

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:36:57 PM
Kid Dynamite (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Hey, everyone. Curious to get thoughts from folks here regarding the audio of the AVS. I'm pretty satisfied with the console in general and I think it's the best solution for modern displays, but I've noticed some really subtle issues with the audio. I can't verify it 100% because I haven't side-by-sided it yet, but what I think is happening is an increase in channel loss during sound effects. I know this sometimes occurs with the NES when sound effects occupy a sound channel, but it seems like the music channel dropout is more prolonged on the AVS than it is with the NES, like it takes longer for the audio to come back in after it drops out. Either that or the music channel drops out more frequently with sound fx than the NES. In general, it seems like there's just more single-channel music dropout with the AVS than I've noticed from NES, probably most notable on Ninja Gaiden than anything else. Also, when playing Legend of Zelda I've noticed some notes in the melody seem to get cut a little shorter than I remember. I think I'm running firmware 1.10 if that makes a difference. I also had the "creepy" music from Metroid persist after moving back into the main Brinstar area, so thus far audio is the biggest area I've noticed possible inaccuracies with. 

Edited: 11/12/2016 at 08:39 PM by Kid Dynamite

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:42:00 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
I had issues with audio as well (drop outs, pops, buzzes, etc) on 1.10. When I when to 1.20 it all was fine. I run mine through my surround system and it sounds great.

-------------------------

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:57:39 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
It was widely reported that there were audio issues with the out-of-the-box 1.10 firmware.

Update your firmware and this thread doesn't exist.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:58:42 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

It was widely reported that there were audio issues with the out-of-the-box 1.10 firmware.

Out of the box firmware is 1.00. The current firmware that fixes some audio issues is 1.10. I know it fixes audio drop out issues when using a capture card (elgato), I would think it would apply for other setups also.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:43:30 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I believe I am still on 1.10 and I haven't noticed any sound issues that wouldn't normally occur on an original NES.

| gameplay and talk |