Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Puzznic Contest ends Sunday, 8/17/14 at 11 PM NA time

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:35:28 PM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
I started making notes on some levels, just so I could remember the order, and so I could write down the password to practice levels before I do an actual run

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:32:21 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
If a lot of people are having trouble with stage 3-2, I can provide the solution so everyone can experience more of what this game has to offer.

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:17:06 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

If a lot of people are having trouble with stage 3-2, I can provide the solution so everyone can experience more of what this game has to offer.

Bimmy, 

Your poem was somehow both extremely helpful AND it cleverly rhymed.
I have no idea how you did that. If I tried to explain the solution to 3-2, it would take me a 5,000 page dissertation.

This is a surprisingly deep game that sometimes challenges with logic, and then it'll hit you with a timing puzzle.
Being under constant time restraints requires either memorization, or a genius level IQ (1st time through).

This monster puzzler by Taito has sat on my shelf - never played for years.

Does anybody know what level this goes up to?
Best I could reach (using continues to scout ahead) was 4-5.
That level's final solve requires juggling 2 green blocks AND super precise timing.
Can't even imagine what a level 10-10 would be like.

I'll be playing this game long after this week.
It's fun and tough.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:23:09 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
The game goes all the way up to level 16-10. This game is an absolute monster.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:46:54 AM
khog143 (73)
Texas
I got to 4-2 on one playthrough, but that level is just a monster

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:37:08 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

The beast part of this game is the timing. I figured out 3-2 pretty quickly,but my execution of that level sucks. This game is really fun but unforgiving even with the two retries at your disposal. That said,this has quickly become one of my favorite puzzle games. It seems like 90% of Taito's nes games were completely overlooked,which is unfortunate as they released some real gems.

Edited: 08/13/2014 at 07:38 AM by gutsman004

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:12:10 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The solution to 3-2 is pretty straightforward, so I thought your clue was already generous.

The timing is the problem.

I am at about a 75% success rate for the drop timing on that level with my handheld.
I should try it on the real console to see if it feels better... I suspect it does.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:13:07 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: gutsman004

That said,this has quickly become one of my favorite puzzle games. 

Yeah, I had picked this game up in a lot a LONG time ago, played through the first 10 levels and thought it was kind of boring.

If I'd know it actually got challenging I might have kept going.

16-10... definitely seems like a game worth figuring out how to beat.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:27:31 AM
khog143 (73)
Texas
I agree guts, this game is now a game I want to get a cart of. Like I said earlier, I am not typically a fan of puzzlers, so I typically don't even give them much of a chance, but this one is pretty damn good.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:41:54 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
As a kid, I would have been bored out of my skull with this. The music is bland, the color pallet is bland, and the controls are slightly awkward. I hate how the cursor freezes while matched blocks are disappearing.

Playing it for the first time now, as an adult, I don't think it's bad, but it's a bit too predictable for me. Once you figure out how to clear a level, only your memory stands between you and victory. Of course, the areas that require timing present a challenge, but it only matters because of this contest. Not saying I wouldn't get frustrated even with the unlimited continues, though.

I didn't have a problem with the timing the first couple of tries in 3-2, but now I'm having a heck of a time. My goal is to just get through that and post a somewhat respectable score. I can't imagine the amount of work it would take to familiarize oneself with all 16 levels so that it can be completely cleared with only two retries.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:04:28 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: gutsman004

That said,this has quickly become one of my favorite puzzle games. 

Yeah, I had picked this game up in a lot a LONG time ago, played through the first 10 levels and thought it was kind of boring.

If I'd know it actually got challenging I might have kept going.

16-10... definitely seems like a game worth figuring out how to beat.

It's definitely not very difficult from a puzzle solving aspect.....at least from what levels I have played.....it's just the blasted timing aspects that can be tough.

Originally posted by: khog143

I agree guts, this game is now a game I want to get a cart of. Like I said earlier, I am not typically a fan of puzzlers, so I typically don't even give them much of a chance, but this one is pretty damn good.

I just like the way it is presented. To me it's just a little different.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:20:32 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
My best run so far is to 4-8. I think I could get through 6-10 or so with a little more practice. I took notes!

I decided to play straight through on Monday and got to 12-1 before I had to go to bed. I was pushing to get past 10-10 and about yelled at the TV when I saw 11-1 loading, hahaha!

If this helps, I noticed that free falling blocks drop twice as fast as the moving gray block.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:46:02 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York
Originally posted by: arnpoly

My best run so far is to 4-8. I think I could get through 6-10 or so with a little more practice. I took notes!

I decided to play straight through on Monday and got to 12-1 before I had to go to bed. I was pushing to get past 10-10 and about yelled at the TV when I saw 11-1 loading, hahaha!

If this helps, I noticed that free falling blocks drop twice as fast as the moving gray block.

HOLY ROLLY POLLY OLLY!

12-1???

From Duck Tales to this week, I am absolutely blown away at the gaming talent level of NA.
I feel like I am competing against some of the very best in the world and am honored to be able to take part.

I was looking through the first half weekly games/tournament and added a few people from this half's contests to my "Most Wanted List" (a la Need for Speed or NCAA football rankings).
It's a personal thing I came up with to make it a bit more interesting.
Going to make separate lists for each genre tomorrow too.

Was super pumped to beat gutsman004's (Defending shump, sports AND beat  'em up Champion) score last week in a shooter (although he played injured).

guillavoie (Defending Champion) is ranked #1, but  I'm not sure if he is participating this half so I might take him out of the rankings.
arch_8ngel's (defending Puzzle Champion) Qix score last half was inhuman. (Yes I was lurking) Although he didn't participate in Legendary Wings.
Ballon_Kid is the upstart this half with a commanding lead after only 2 weeks. 
EgasKrad's Duck Tales score was tops week 1. This was the best score among a group of some of the best recorded scores ever.
CLAYB1RD will be tough to top as he seems to be near the top every week. Consistency wins championships.
...There are 4 others..
If anyone wants me to post my "Top 10" List (it changes every week) I'll do so, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either.
It's just a stupid thing to do.

So many good players here though.

bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:10:04 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Edited: 08/16/2014 at 12:01 AM by BriGuy82

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:21:05 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
This game's music is brutal...

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:29:00 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Originally posted by: arnpoly

HOLY ROLLY POLLY OLLY!

12-1???

From Duck Tales to this week, I am absolutely blown away at the gaming talent level of NA.
I feel like I am competing against some of the very best in the world and am honored to be able to take part.

I was looking through the first half weekly games/tournament and added a few people from this half's contests to my "Most Wanted List" (a la Need for Speed or NCAA football rankings).
It's a personal thing I came up with to make it a bit more interesting.
Going to make separate lists for each genre tomorrow too.

Was super pumped to beat gutsman004's (Defending shump, sports AND beat  'em up Champion) score last week in a shooter (although he played injured).

guillavoie (Defending Champion) is ranked #1, but  I'm not sure if he is participating this half so I might take him out of the rankings.
arch_8ngel's (defending Puzzle Champion) Qix score last half was inhuman. (Yes I was lurking) Although he didn't participate in Legendary Wings.
Ballon_Kid is the upstart this half with a commanding lead after only 2 weeks. 
EgasKrad's Duck Tales score was tops week 1. This was the best score among a group of some of the best recorded scores ever.
CLAYB1RD will be tough to top as he seems to be near the top every week. Consistency wins championships.
...There are 4 others..
If anyone wants me to post my "Top 10" List (it changes every week) I'll do so, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either.
It's just a stupid thing to do.

So many good players here though.

I should clarify that I made it to 12-1 with like 50 continues, haha!  Just playing for fun then to get the hang of it.  Though I did clear a lot of levels for about 4 hours worth of play.  This game is addicting once I get going!

I think the Most Wanted List is a neat idea just for fun.  You gotta call it the Naughty List. 

I'll echo again that we do have some amazing game players here.  Some weeks it seems like world records get broken.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 08/13/2014 at 11:29 PM by arnpoly

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:01:55 AM
khog143 (73)
Texas
I got to 6-2 today on a single run. level 5 seemed really easy compared to both 4 and 6.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:28:06 AM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:03:58 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
That's a cool idea Santa! And I agree with Arnooly in that it should be the Naughty List. My hand was fine on thursday for Legendary Wings,so you just straight up beat me. I tried for the top score 3-4 times,and I had one really good run going late in the week but I pooched it by playing around with the stage 4 boss by trying to farm some eyeballs. Ended up getting hit a few times and was down to the default gun. Irritated,I just hit the reset button after that and called it a week. Too bad Tom isn't competing anymore,that guy is phenomenal. I'm honored to be on your hit list as I don't really feel like I'm all that....I just try hard and compete every week.

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:21:36 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Thanks for the nod, but since I'm last-half's Puzzle Champion, I can't get the badge twice in one year

Unfortunately, last week and this week have been extremely busy with a shit-ton of emergency OT at work, so I don't think I'm going to get to revisit Puzznic and give it a fair shake.  (I claimed I was taking a break this season anyway... just couldn't help but dive into Ducktales for a game, or two, since I hadn't played it in years   )

If arnpoly is approaching World 5 he is going to have a really strong run, though (and he WAS the runner-up for puzzles, last time...)

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:58:20 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Actually, it was fitting that arch got it then, since this year's puzzle award icon is (supposed to be) Qix. It's hard when you only have 16 x 16 pixels to work with!

Glad you're enjoying the contest It's actually the main reason I joined NA. It's a great way to discover new games and rediscover games you haven't played it forever. I wish I had more time to participate (I pretty much forfeited the recent tourneys I was in), but I'll do what I can this half.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:48:39 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Actually, it was fitting that arch got it then, since this year's puzzle award icon is (supposed to be) Qix. It's hard when you only have 16 x 16 pixels to work with!

I think it's a pretty darn accurate rendition of Qix for such a small icon.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:50:00 PM
Commander Santa (178)
New York

Glad you're enjoying the contest It's actually the main reason I joined NA. It's a great way to discover new games and rediscover games you haven't played it forever. I wish I had more time to participate (I pretty much forfeited the recent tourneys I was in), but I'll do what I can this half.

Tonya! 
You're the creator of the gaming icons?!
You do a great job with them - as they always look awesome.

When you posted your original score in Legendary Wings last week (which was really good) - and said you avoided the Danger Zones, I thought for sure you were going to post the best score later in the week. People that have been competing for awhile probably have a good idea of who is the biggest Challange each week. I haven't seen
Space Jockey post a score yet, but based on his former Twin Galaxies record - I imagine he is a tough customer too.
I also know thesubcon3, rengozou and Limbo Funk are really good - do they play at all?

I'll post my "Naughty List" later today, but khog143 and arnpoly are definitely on my radar for this week as they have posted some intimidating progress thus far and I'm eyeing BriGuy82 for next week to be a tough customer in Trog.

and does bimmy participate ever?
I have some inside information that he recently did a perfect run through Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! Even though he is the Game Master, does he come out from behind the curtain from time to time?

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:51:13 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Ookii's doing a wonderful job with the icons, there's really no doubt about that. Just a glance at various NA icons is enough to realize how much the contest icons stand out.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:55:43 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

and does bimmy participate ever?
I have some inside information that he recently did a perfect run through Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! Even though he is the Game Master, does he come out from behind the curtain from time to time?

Bimmy used to play regularly in the contest, and I was beating the crap out of him all the time Seriously, he is a very talented player, who knows, he might even make a comeback in the competition at some point and prove it with awesome scores.