Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Wireless Controller?

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:11:55 AM
Bigdiver (0)
< Cherub >
I am not 100% certain but think it was an unknown source of interference. I tried turning stuff off, moving rf equipment, using controller on different hardware, updating firmware, etc...
I really wanted it to work for me. I liked the feel of the controller and buttons.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:03:09 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Bigdiver

I am not 100% certain but think it was an unknown source of interference. I tried turning stuff off, moving rf equipment, using controller on different hardware, updating firmware, etc...
I really wanted it to work for me. I liked the feel of the controller and buttons.

Attempting to use the controller at another geograpgic location (friend's house, office, etc) would also rule out interfering devices. My retrousb wireless controller spazes out when i try to use it on my avs with my led-modded holly jolly nes mix cart. It have 30x auto-blinking leds installed on it that i ordered from aliexpress. Changing the channel does not affect behavior. I meant to make a video about the issue but never got around to it. cart doesn't load if i disable menu, and menu randomly rotates with the avs receiver plugged in. I'm nearly 100% sure the leds are causing the interferance. Cart runs normally with standard controller.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 01/15/2018 at 01:13 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:50:33 AM
ecmyers (0)
(Eugene ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Just thought I'd chime in to say I also had some issues with the wireless controller: While playing Metroid, it would occasionally miss an input and then Samus would go running off in one direction until I pressed a button to input a different action. Not very helpful! I figured the problem was interference; I was playing it on my RetroN 5 (yeah, yeah, I know), which is positioned next to my wireless router, and there isn't much I can do to change that setup. I have since moved the controller downstairs to my original NES and CRT, which seems to have fixed the issue, although I also don't use it much because I sit a couple of feet away from my screen, so I just use a wired controller   I still love the controller design and function, when it works, so I figured I'd hold onto it and maybe one day I'll have a setup where it makes more sense to use it.

I've also stopped using my 8Bitdo NES30 controller upstairs, which seems to have more lag lately. Either I never noticed it before, or something has changed in my area and there's more Bluetooth interference. I'm back to using a long extension cord when I play on the HDTV. :-/

Apr 12, 2018 at 3:40:53 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Has anyone had issues with their clear wireless controller charging? Granted I don't think I've used mine since I purchased it....just plugged it in the charger via USB and not seeing the red light, light up at all? Any help is appreciated!  

Edit: Nevermind, saw people had questions on the previous page about it  

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Edited: 04/12/2018 at 03:42 PM by Quack

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:33:28 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Just leave it on charge for a while, and eventually the light will appear

a red light has appeared!

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:53:30 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I can't locate my wireless adapter atm. Anyway to order a spare?  

But it was awesome while I had access to it. I was playing Contra once with the 8bitdo and it desynced. I had the Konami code activated (30 lives) but my character just ran right continuously during the 30 seconds or so it took to resync. I just stared and watched 13 of my guys run off a platform and suicide themselves. Never had issues like that with retrousb avs controler. Zero sync time too... Also as a fan of microswitch joysticks, the clicky buttons didn't bother me at all.  

Edited: 04/12/2018 at 08:54 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:40:49 AM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

But it was awesome while I had access to it. I was playing Contra once with the 8bitdo and it desynced. I had the Konami code activated (30 lives) but my character just ran right continuously during the 30 seconds or so it took to resync. I just stared and watched 13 of my guys run off a platform and suicide themselves. Never had issues like that with retrousb avs controler. Zero sync time too... Also as a fan of microswitch joysticks, the clicky buttons didn't bother me at all.  

I actually *have* had that issue with my RetroUSB Wireless Gamepad; I was playing Metroid and Samus would just keep running to the right until I pressed a button to stop her. However, I think I just had a lot of interference because the Wi-Fi router is right next to the TV and the console. (I did try it on different channels, with the same result.) I since moved the controller to my CRT downstairs, but I haven't played with it much because my NES is max a couple of feet away while I play so I just use a wired controller.

Update: 7/31/18
I've been using this on my live streams for a couple of months, playing on a CRT in my basement well away from the router, and I can confirm that I haven't had any of the issues I mentioned above. Looks like it was just local interference, and this is one of my two favorite controllers. (The other being the Hudson Joycard Sansui SSS.) I kind of want to buy a second one just to have it, but I'm holding out and hoping a clear one will become available...

Edited: 07/31/2018 at 01:16 PM by ecmyers

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:51:54 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
my fingers block the signal sometimes and a button press is missed. so many missed swings on NES golf.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:53:47 PM
VernonDozier (0)

< Cherub >
I bought this wireless controller in December and it was great. No lag at all, spot on; but a few weeks ago the 'B' button stopped working really at all. When I'm playing Contra, I'll hit the 'B' button three or four times and get one shot out of it. It's the same for every other game as well and I'm not sure if I just hit the crap out of that button for six months to where it's completely done or there's something else going on. All the other buttons are still spot on, and I was unable to take it apart because of one stubborn screw.

In that six month period I've only had to charge the controller twice; When I first got it, and once when the battery ran down. I really don't know what is causing this button to fuck up but before that it was the best NES controller I've ever used.

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:06:31 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: VernonDozier

I bought this wireless controller in December and it was great. No lag at all, spot on; but a few weeks ago the 'B' button stopped working really at all. When I'm playing Contra, I'll hit the 'B' button three or four times and get one shot out of it. It's the same for every other game as well and I'm not sure if I just hit the crap out of that button for six months to where it's completely done or there's something else going on. All the other buttons are still spot on, and I was unable to take it apart because of one stubborn screw.

In that six month period I've only had to charge the controller twice; When I first got it, and once when the battery ran down. I really don't know what is causing this button to fuck up but before that it was the best NES controller I've ever used.

Have you emailed them about this problem? 

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:54:26 PM
RetroUSB Support (1)
(RetroUSB Support) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: VernonDozier

Please send us an email.  We would be happy to fix or replace it for you. 

For help or if you have any questions please use the e-mail address found on our contact page

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:01:11 AM
VernonDozier (0)

< Cherub >
For some reason I just now checked this forum.  I've sent Emails to RetroUSB about getting the Wireless Gamepad fixed.  I'll keep you updated.

Sep 15, 2018 at 4:55:02 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Edit:  Fixed the wonky handle by taking the controller apart and putting it back together again. The cause seems to be one of the tiny washers inside the controller (thanks ecmeyers for the tip).

Just curious, anyone else' AVS controller have a 'squeaky' left handle?   It's like the top/bottom plastic can't get secured together enough by the bottom screw underneath the dpad. Tightening the screw(s) didn't help.

Everything else about the controller has been superb.

ECMeyers is the only individual I know of that seems to have this same issue:
http://ecmyers.net/2017/07/retrousb-wireless-gamepad-for-nes...

Edited: 09/18/2018 at 07:54 PM by Brachabre

Sep 15, 2018 at 5:06:08 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Still have this issue.  

We still need an option to buy replacement controller adapters on retrousb...

Edited: 09/15/2018 at 05:06 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:10:24 AM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Brachabre

Just curious, anyone else' AVS controller have a 'squeaky' left handle?   It's like the top/bottom plastic can't get secured together enough by the bottom screw underneath the dpad. Tightening the screw(s) didn't help.

Everything else about the controller has been superb.

ECMeyers is the only individual I know of that seems to have this same issue:
http://ecmyers.net/2017/07/retrousb-wireless-gamepad-for-nes...

Yeah, I was just going to point you to my review. The only thing I can suggest is checking to make sure that the tiny washer is in the controller on the screw near the D-Pad (as I mentioned in one of my comments on the post). I think it was above it, which probably doesn't help your situation, but there seems to have been some issue with the fit there. I don't have the gap on mine anymore, and the D-Pad is still responsive once I made the tweaks to the tightness of the screw.

However, I'm still having an issue with what I assume is wireless interference. I just got a RetroUSB AVS and wanted to use the controller with it, but the system is still too close to my router. I tried moving the receiver farther away by attaching it to an NES Four Score, but it didn't really help. I have tried it on all four channels and inevitably I lose my connection while playing for any length of time, causing input delays or persistent actions of the character that I have to interrupt by pressing another button. I don't have any of those issues when I play on my OG NES in the basement, a room below the router. I can't remember my password to change the Wi-Fi channel settings on my router and I don't want to reset it; plus, if I have to set it to use the 5GHz frequency only then I will lose range on my wireless signal. I've considered setting up a couple of extension cords to get the wireless receiver farther away, but then I figure that's getting ridiculous. So I'm still using wired controllers for the moment. :-/

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:12:13 AM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Here's a larger photo where you can see that washer: http://ecmyers.net/wp-content/upl...

Someone in my comments mentioned seeing a plastic washer too, but I don't think I had that, and not having one hasn't seemed to affect usability.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:11:15 PM
Brachabre (9)
Texas
Originally posted by: ecmyers

Here's a larger photo where you can see that washer: http://ecmyers.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_20170720_1...

Someone in my comments mentioned seeing a plastic washer too, but I don't think I had that, and not having one hasn't seemed to affect usability.
Thanks man! Taking it apart and putting it back together again somehow fixed the wonky handle. Something with the tiny washers for sure.

Edited: 09/18/2018 at 07:52 PM by Brachabre

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:53:21 PM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Does yours have more than one washer?

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:56:05 PM
Brachabre (9)
Texas
Originally posted by: ecmyers

Does yours have more than one washer?
Mine has two tiny washers. One metal (upper corner screw under dpad) the other plastic (lower corner screw under dpad).

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:06:18 PM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Argh, I wonder if I lost it somewhere then. Maybe that's why I had to adjust the tightness of the screws to get the D-pad back to the proper sensitivity :-/ I'll have to look around, but if I dropped it, it's probably long gone. Thanks!

Jan 27 at 2:41:00 PM
Brachabre (9)
Texas
My AVS wireless controller battery seems to have died after a year of moderate usage as it no longer works/charges even plugged-in to USB. Red LED not working. Is this considered unusual? Thanks.

Jan 27 at 3:22:39 PM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
How long have you left it plugged in to charge? I've noticed when the battery is really really drained, it takes a while for the LED to even come on while it's charging, but it does recharge.

Jan 27 at 11:33:40 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I left mine unplugged for a long time and it wouldn't work, but after leaving it plugged in to charge for a day it fixed it. It also wouldn't work from just being plugged in. It had to be charged back up.

Jan 28 at 1:08:15 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I experienced the same with the controller when it had been fully drained for a while. You will need to leave it charging for some time before you even get the LED to light.

| gameplay and talk |

Jan 28 at 1:50:54 AM
Brachabre (9)
Texas
Ugh okay so it does work again. I didn't realize the red led only comes on after several minutes of charging if the controller is completely dead. Thanks!

Edited: 01/28/2019 at 01:51 AM by Brachabre