Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone into early 90's PC gaming? Apogee, Epic MegaGames, Id, etc

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:51:03 PM
Arr_Adam (1)
(Adam M) < Meka Chicken >
Saskatchewan
Memories of those old PC games I used to play are what got me started on PS1 collecting actually... almost all my old favorite PC games were also on PS1...

- Need for Speed 1 through 5
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Diablo
- Decent
- MDK
- Rainbow Six
- Hexen

I've picked up alot of other games that weren't PC games I played in the past, but those PC games were the ones I started with. Most of the PS1 versions are a bit different (especially Diablo) but its still pretty good, and so much easier than dealing with a 20 year old PC lol. I remember playing PC Diablo for many many years, well after D2 came out. Or playing NFS: High Stakes online with my cousin, after we'd both learned how to build, reskin and modify the cars in the game. An online game of High Stakes in Hot Pursuit mode with our custom built cars, and each of us with a PC steering wheel was just pure bliss... we tied up the phoneline for hours and hours doing that lol.

Edited: 07/20/2015 at 10:54 PM by Arr_Adam

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:55:12 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Let me see if I can even remember what all we had:

Commander Keen 1-5 (or maybe 6?)
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 2
F-15 Strike Eagle II
Major Striker
Bio Menace
Mother Goose
Mega Man
Jill of the Jungle
Prince of Persia
Total War (or something like that, basically Risk)
Battle Chess
Wolfenstein 3D
Blake Stone
Castelian
Adventure
A game, probably Apogee, where you were a green guy and you had suction cups for hands
A Kroz game, or something that looked like a Kroz game

I'll have to keep thinking about it

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure! I had that one too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cos...

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:57:14 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Let me see if I can even remember what all we had:

Commander Keen 1-5 (or maybe 6?)
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem 2
F-15 Strike Eagle II
Major Striker
Bio Menace
Mother Goose
Mega Man
Jill of the Jungle
Prince of Persia
Total War (or something like that, basically Risk)
Battle Chess
Wolfenstein 3D
Blake Stone
Castelian
Castle Adventure
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure A game, probably Apogee, where you were a green guy and you had suction cups for hands
A Kroz game, or something that looked like a Kroz game

I'll have to keep thinking about it

Slowly remembering more:
Jordan vs Bird - I never once figured out how to do any of the dunks with the keyboard
Test Drive
Thunderblade - I could never get past the first "behind-the-chopper" perspective level.  Something I've since done playing the Genesis version
Mahjong (not sure of the title)

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 07/21/2015 at 12:57 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:55:46 PM
Sneak (37)

(Ryan K) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I just wanted to chime in with that I definitely have fond memories of PC gaming from back in the day. I remember getting my first "shareware" PC games on a 5 1/4 inch floppy way back when, playing them on my old EGA monitor (remember when EGA was the cats-ass compared to the nasty-old CGA?). My memories are a bit foggy of which game I got first, but I definitely recall some of the games I used to play.

I remember also when I got my original "SoundBlaster" and months later a "Gravis PC gamepad" (sometime in the 90's), and with those, it really made some of these games feel like "console" games.

Offhand, my list includes most of what others have already mentioned:

Star Goose
Commander Keen Series (1-6)
Jazz Jackrabbit
Wolfenstein 3D (the original)
Doom

For "commercial" releases:
4-D Sports (Racing & Boxing)
Star Control 2
Civilizations
Seirra On-Line Games (Larry, Space,Police & Kings Quest Series)
Prince of Persia
SimCity & (later) SimCity 2000

Of course there are a tonne more that I'm forgetting, but those are a few off the top of my head.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:27:06 PM
PrinceOfBrains (4)
(Tim Allen) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Originally posted by: 85collector

You're "might haves" are all correct: Xargon!! One of my faves too!

This might get you started: 

Man I want to break out my old PC now! 

You, sir, have brought a decades-long quest to an end and for that I am forever in your debt. A brief Google search told me nothing - is this legally available for purchase anywhere?

Also, holy shit that intro music - I know people used to slag on older PC games for not being up to console standards in some cases, but you play that sucker with a Gravis and it's like you're on some Genesis stuff.

https://videotron2000.wordpress.com/ - Video-Tron 2000: LASER-BLOG OF THE FUTURE!
Newest Post: Dreamcast GDEMU Video Review

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:47:58 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: PrinceOfBrains

You're "might haves" are all correct: Xargon!! One of my faves too!

This might get you started: 

Man I want to break out my old PC now! 

You, sir, have brought a decades-long quest to an end and for that I am forever in your debt. A brief Google search told me nothing - is this legally available for purchase anywhere?

Also, holy shit that intro music - I know people used to slag on older PC games for not being up to console standards in some cases, but you play that sucker with a Gravis and it's like you're on some Genesis stuff.

It was released by the programmer as freeware in 2008 The link below has a download and a play online option!

http://www.classicdosgames.com/ga...

Edit: Yes, it did have a very Genesis-esque sound to it, almost uncannily so. Probably the best sound out of a PC game I can recall except maybe Doom.

My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Edited: 07/21/2015 at 07:48 PM by 85collector

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:16:21 PM
PrinceOfBrains (4)
(Tim Allen) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan

It was released by the programmer as freeware in 2008 The link below has a download and a play online option!

http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Xargon.html

Edit: Yes, it did have a very Genesis-esque sound to it, almost uncannily so. Probably the best sound out of a PC game I can recall except maybe Doom.
Looks like I owe you two, now!

So has anyone else here played Hocus Pocus? I remember being OBSESSED with that game. The graphics were amazing, I loved them usic, and it just felt fun in a way few platformers did of that time, PC or otherwise. Am I alone in this?

https://videotron2000.wordpress.com/ - Video-Tron 2000: LASER-BLOG OF THE FUTURE!
Newest Post: Dreamcast GDEMU Video Review