Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The End-All Topic For - How to Make a Final Fantasy III Reproduction Cart

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:56:47 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
The only number that matters is the 5160 and the 5864. 5160is a 8192 (8K) x 8bit RAM. (8192*8=65535 bits=64Kb) and so is the 5864, just different maker numbers. Most of the time the 64K RAMS are called 6264's, the more common number. If you google the main numbers (LH5160 and CXK5864) you'll find what they are, and pinouts for them just to make sure they're the same. But short answer, they should be the same chip different maker same pinouts/instructions to use. This is why bootgod gives part numbers, but not exact searches for them, because the EXACT chip doesn't matter, just the general board hardware. Look at some UNROM or SNROM boards on bootgod, the CHR-RAM will be a ton of different 8KB RAM's if you want to see for yourself.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:56:59 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Kuros

Originally posted by: 3GenGames

The chips should have the same pin out, so maker doesn't really matter. But you probably will never have a cart match 100%, they order parts from tons of people. Whoever can get them there the fastest, cheapest, they'll buy them. They buy from lots of companies so if one crashes and burns for some reason, they'll still have the parts then need. The board type is basically the only thing you really need, ever. Just right side middle search box drop down to the middle one, PCB class, and enter "SNROM" or "UNROM" or "SXROM" whatever ya are looking for.

But in this case, I need a particular chip from another board to use on the SMB2 board.
If the name on the chip doesn't match, it means it's not the same chip...right?

Meaning I can't use the LH5160YF-10L when I need a CXK5864APS-12LL correct?

I think as long as it is in the same "family" it will work so if it has -12LL or I believe -15LL also works. Best best is to make a socketed board and test the different ram chips. I have found others that work that are not listed here.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:11:15 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
L and LL are low power differences. 10 and 12 should be the response time for said chip.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:57:42 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

So...I've gone through this entire thread.  
Why exactly do I need a CXK5864APS-12LL CHR-RAM?

You can't reprogram these. So are you splitting the rom into PRG and CHR and only burning the PRG?

Thanks guys, sorry if this was a stupid question.

CHR-RAM means it is litterally a RAM chip (not ROM) used for the character graphics. There is no data on the chip- it is "programmed" on the fly while the game is running.

For whatever reason, FF3 is somewhat picky about the ram chip used for CHR-RAM. The Sony CXK5864* family tend to work, as well as NEC 64S20. If you boot the game with an incompatible CHRRAM chip, everything will freeze up. So, first step is finding one of those chips to use as ram. Your SMB2 donor might have that NEC chip in the WRAM slot, which is good news for you. You can remove that an install it as CHRRAM. If not, you'll have to source one from another cart. Little Mermaid and Deja Vu are good ones to check for the CXK chip. 

In any case, you may want to find a -LL chip (ultra low power) to install for WRAM chip to maximize battery life. The manufacturer is irrelevant for that one. Ideally your SMB2 has the NEC chip you can use for CHRRAM, and you can find any other -LL chip to install for WRAM.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:00:53 PM
Kuros (8)
(Kuros the Knight) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: Lincoln

You can't reprogram these. So are you splitting the rom into PRG and CHR and only burning the PRG?

CHR-RAM means it is litterally a RAM chip (not ROM) used for the character graphics. There is no data on the chip- it is "programmed" on the fly while the game is running.

For whatever reason, FF3 is somewhat picky about the ram chip used for CHR-RAM. The Sony CXK5864* family tend to work, as well as NEC 64S20. If you boot the game with an incompatible CHRRAM chip, everything will freeze up. So, first step is finding one of those chips to use as ram. Your SMB2 donor might have that NEC chip in the WRAM slot, which is good news for you. You can remove that an install it as CHRRAM. If not, you'll have to source one from another cart. Little Mermaid and Deja Vu are good ones to check for the CXK chip. 

In any case, you may want to find a -LL chip (ultra low power) to install for WRAM chip to maximize battery life. The manufacturer is irrelevant for that one. Ideally your SMB2 has the NEC chip you can use for CHRRAM, and you can find any other -LL chip to install for WRAM.
I was under the impression that if I looked on Bootgods website, found the game that has the chip I need, that game would have the part I need. So really, when I over paid for a Wreslemania cart just for this project, I had a...random chance to get the part I needed? That makes no sense, and nothing in this how to suggests that.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:03:41 PM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
Use the parts you have, there's no difference, did you not read my post? And any proof on the CHR-RAM crash problem? -looks at ROM- it does read some CHR-RAM, but I believe it should write there first...nope, it doesn't. Still, I guess you need a RAM that boots to either 0 or ff'd, although NO ram will *always* do that so good luck with that.

Edited: 04/22/2013 at 10:11 PM by removed04092017

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:53:26 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

Originally posted by: Lincoln

I was under the impression that if I looked on Bootgods website, found the game that has the chip I need, that game would have the part I need. So really, when I over paid for a Wreslemania cart just for this project, I had a...random chance to get the part I needed? That makes no sense, and nothing in this how to suggests that.

Bootgod's site documents what's been found, not what is guaranteed to be. Look at Double Dribble for example. That's another one where that Sony chip has been found, but there are also at least 3 other brands of ram found in various Double Dribble carts, and I know I've seen more in person that are not documented there.

That's why I suggest Deja Vu or Little Mermaid. From personal experience, those are carts that are likely to have the Sony chip. If you want to get creative you can look for Romance of the Three Kingdoms or another SOROM game. They have 3 ram chips, and ROT3K lists the Sony chip as a possibility. If you find the ram chip you need, you can pull it and use what's left for a SNROM game with some minor changes.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:07:19 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Use the parts you have, there's no difference, did you not read my post? And any proof on the CHR-RAM crash problem? -looks at ROM- it does read some CHR-RAM, but I believe it should write there first...nope, it doesn't. Still, I guess you need a RAM that boots to either 0 or ff'd, although NO ram will *always* do that so good luck with that.

Yes, I built a test cart when I first did this game. IIRC I have Sanyo and Toshiba chips that will not work as CHR-RAM, and Sony and NEC that will.

May 20, 2013 at 11:18:15 AM
schleichweg (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Hey there!

I just found this thread while searching for a way to reproduce a FF3 in my language. I did some NES repros before and I'm a bit irritated about that CHR-ROM. For my last repros I split the rom file into a CHR- and PRG-File and burned two eproms. Why is it neccessary to harvest a CHR-ROM for FF3?

Greetings, schleichweg

May 20, 2013 at 1:06:14 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: schleichweg

Hey there!

I just found this thread while searching for a way to reproduce a FF3 in my language. I did some NES repros before and I'm a bit irritated about that CHR-ROM. For my last repros I split the rom file into a CHR- and PRG-File and burned two eproms. Why is it neccessary to harvest a CHR-ROM for FF3?

Greetings, schleichweg

Your not harvesting a CHR-ROM, your harvesting a CHR- RAM.

May 20, 2013 at 2:15:28 PM
schleichweg (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

Your not harvesting a CHR-ROM, your harvesting a CHR- RAM.

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot  

May 23, 2013 at 1:22:19 PM
Gorillazero (53)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
hahaha and the thread keeps going

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

May 23, 2013 at 2:37:03 PM
schleichweg (0)
< Cherub >
Germany
Dead Thread walking

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:03:54 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
The WRAM chip only has 26 pins in the diagram.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:20:12 PM
amplibax (0)

(Brandon Baxter) < Cherub >
New Brunswick
If I am using a Famicom version of FF3 as a donor, would the same re-wiring diagram apply for the PRG as it is with Super Mario 2? And am I correct to assume that replacing the PRG with an English translated rom would be the only step I would need to take?

Sorry for the newb questions. I just started repros a few days ago. I've made an Earthbound Zero and FF2 successfully so far.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:21:08 PM
Gorillazero (53)
Michigan
Hi Amp,

The wiring might be different, I don't do famicom carts, sorry. Also, I don't think that it's a simple text hack, I know there was some CHR modification too.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:11:11 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: amplibax

If I am using a Famicom version of FF3 as a donor, would the same re-wiring diagram apply for the PRG as it is with Super Mario 2? And am I correct to assume that replacing the PRG with an English translated rom would be the only step I would need to take?

Sorry for the newb questions. I just started repros a few days ago. I've made an Earthbound Zero and FF2 successfully so far.

Yep, that should be your only step. PRG instructions should be the same. 

What brand is the CHR RAM chip in your ff3 cart?

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:25:12 PM
amplibax (0)

(Brandon Baxter) < Cherub >
New Brunswick
Thanks for the responses.

I actually haven't received the copy of FF3 yet. I just won the auction the other night. I'll post the brand of the CHR RAM as soon as I get it. I'm really excited to play through FF3 on the NES. I have a PowerPak but I just like the idea of having an actual dedicated cart, especially one that is actually semi legit since I'm using the Famicom version of the game.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:50:01 PM
Gorillazero (53)
Michigan
Are you sure the pinouts are the same?

Guess I answered my own question, seems like it should be.

Edited: 07/09/2013 at 03:50 PM by Gorillazero

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:01:33 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
I can confirm that a Famicom Final Fantasy 3's PRG is wired the same as you would on an NES cartridge, so follow the guide posted but ignore the CHR-RAM since a Famicom FF3 already has one.

Here's a pic:

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:15:47 PM
Gorillazero (53)
Michigan
Thanks boss.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:35:00 PM
wiggyx (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: Gorillazero

Numerous people have FFIII repros on sale for horrendous prices, so I thought I should make this topic, so 5 years from now, people can make their own game and be happy with what they made with their own two hands.

Just made a copy for myself with help from this guide  

thanks!

www.rosecoloredgaming.com     Instagram   Facebook     

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:22:27 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Congrats, I hope you didn't destroy an old cart to do it though. I'm sure retrostage or INL boards could probably be configured in this way as well.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:31:24 PM
Gorillazero (53)
Michigan
yea INL have carts now for this game

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:44:48 PM
wiggyx (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: CMR

Congrats, I hope you didn't destroy an old cart to do it though. I'm sure retrostage or INL boards could probably be configured in this way as well.

Thanks!

I did use a donor, but it was from a large stockpile of NES boards which were given to me years ago by Timewalk.  The shells for those boards were gone long before they came into my procession, so I figured it was better to make something with them than to let them rot in a box.

www.rosecoloredgaming.com     Instagram   Facebook