Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tech Talk Simple way to install new battery & keep old game save.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:27:51 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Recently I installed a battery holder in a Zelda II cartridge & used a sunbeam battery from dollar tree. I got thinking that the sunbeam batteries don't last nearly as long in my wii fit meter as the one it came with so I made a trip to walmart & purchased 2 Energizers which were $4.37 plus tax & their use by date was 3-2024 (subeams were 2018) so I knew I'd feel much better with the energizers. Now, I had maybe an hour of gameplay saved so I figured I'd try to keep it as a test when removing the sunbeam and installing the energizer. It was so easy. All I did was temporarily solder the + and - wires on the underside of the cart were the legs from the original holder use to stick through the board. I stripped about 1/4 inch of insulation off the other end & simply held the wires to the + and - sides of a sunbeam CR2032 battery as I used my free hand to unclip the sunbeam battery from the holder & install the energizer. I then took the temporary wires off & am glad to say it worked with no problems. Just don't get mixed up & hold the wires on backwards because then it won't be parallel & you will be getting 6 Volts instead of 3 which will probably screw it up royally for good. If you have a friend around that would make it faster and easier. This would work just as well for switching out the original battery but you'd need a holder in place instead of trying to hold the wires since getting the original out requires pliers & bending the tabs back and forth until they break. 

-------------------------

Edited: 08/03/2016 at 12:44 PM by NintendoAge Moderator