Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Cheapest Way To Do a 4-Player, Classic Bomberman Match?

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:35:29 AM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Hello all,

I'm looking into selecting a game for the next tournament at my workplace. I've gotten a few requests for a Bomberman game and I really like that idea. Problem is, most of the titles that contain a classic 2D style gameplay take quite a bit of money to accumulate everything necessary to play it. Ideally, I'd go with the SNES titles, but obtaining the 2 games as well as 2, 4-way adapters can get price. Saturn Bomberman would also be great, but obviously that's out of the question.

Keep in mind, to have 16-play tournaments in an hours time at my workplace, we need to have 2 consoles going with (hopefully) 4 players person console.

Maybe Mega Bomberman on the Genesis? 4-way adapters are cheaper as are the carts.

Do any of the more modern console iterations of the series contain a classic 2D style multiplayer?

Thoughts?

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:06:54 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Wouldn't the PlayStation version be cheapest?

The consoles and controllers are basically free.
And it isn't an expensive version of the game.

-------------------------

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:14:50 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
If you have a Wii you can play the TG16 version on there, I think it's Bomberman 93. It actually allows you to play with 5 people which is cool.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:37:37 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Hard to top the SNES games if you want that classic feel. Saturn and Genesis come next.

If you want cheap. Bomberman Live/Bomberman Blast are very close on 360/PS3 and is $10. You can play 4 or maybe even 8 players with no extra adapters.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:40:00 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Get the SFC versions instead; way cheaper (and 3 of them never made it out here anyway; 5 is the best)

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:31:33 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Super Bomberman 5 for the Super Famicom is great. Cheap too, and has a very good single player as well.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:46:15 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

HUH?! lol

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:02:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

HUH?! lol

Maybe it has changed, but last time I checked ps1 stuff it felt like you were only paying for shipping when it came to consoles.

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:48:54 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida

HUH?! lol

Maybe it has changed, but last time I checked ps1 stuff it felt like you were only paying for shipping when it came to consoles.
Okay, that makes sense. lol 

Dunno why I was only thinking along the lines of a physical brick and mortar store. 

Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:59:01 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

HUH?! lol

Dunno why I was only thinking along the lines of a physical brick and mortar store. 

No, i meant on eBay. Feels like you can't give them away  

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:39:14 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida

HUH?! lol

Ain't that the truth. Well, I guess the slimmer PSone systems are a tiny bit more, but being able to run PS1 games on other systems pretty much devalues it. 

So yeah, go with PS1. lol

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:52:34 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Soft modded Wii with four Wii remotes and classic controllers.

Is Saturn Bomberman cheaper for the Japan version?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:35:49 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Get the SFC versions instead; way cheaper (and 3 of them never made it out here anyway; 5 is the best)

But I’d still need to buy 2 Expensive snes multiitaps just for his event, which is something I’m trying to avoid.

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:44:46 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Nert

Soft modded Wii with four Wii remotes and classic controllers.

Is Saturn Bomberman cheaper for the Japan version?
Very much so.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:17:32 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: ZBomber

If you have a Wii you can play the TG16 version on there, I think it's Bomberman 93. It actually allows you to play with 5 people which is cool.

Can't add money to the Wii store.  

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:18:01 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

HUH?! lol

? I sold all the ones i had for about 35 shipped. Wasnt too hard. Console, controler, cables.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:25:51 AM
WATA GRADED WEBSITE (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
2x snes 2x everdrive. Now your set for all future endeavors

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:31:47 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
Originally posted by: ALTQQ

He said cheapest, not most expensive.

I concur on the PS1 + multitap idea, very inexpensive. A softmodded Wii is also good but a bit more spendy than the PS1 choice.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:11:29 PM
WATA GRADED WEBSITE (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Originally posted by: ALTQQ

He said cheapest, not most expensive.

I concur on the PS1 + multitap idea, very inexpensive. A softmodded Wii is also good but a bit more spendy than the PS1 choice.

It's the cheapest in the long run if you keep running into this situation. Ever drives aren't expensive. Buying 2+ copies of games over and over is.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:38:24 AM
Koopa64 (0)
Canada
Super nes systems are a ton more expensive than original ps1 systems. Have you looked at the prices? The ps1 console, controllers and even multi tap are really cheap. Super nes, yeah no.

Even ps1 bomberman is less expensive than super bomberman 1 or 2 on snes, much less two ever drives ($150+ right there)

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:06:41 AM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: zombi

If you look up how to softmod your Wii you can still add Virtual Console/WiiWare games to your system. Wiis are cheap and you don't have to keep lugigng different systems every time, you can choose from a variety of controllers (including the NES/SNES Mini controllers if you have them, along with Wiimotes, Classic Controller, Gamecube controllers, etc), and you have access to pretty much every Nintendo game before the Wii (N64 emulation is spotty though, even on the official Wii VC releases)

For office party type of settings it seems like the best bet easily. 30 minutes to soft mod your Wii and then you can use it for basically all future work tournies. Personally I don't think it's worth the monetary investment of getting a bunch of systems, controllers, games, and accessories otherwise, especially if you plan on changing up the games once you're done Bomberman.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:18:15 AM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan

Originally posted by: zombi

If you look up how to softmod your Wii you can still add Virtual Console/WiiWare games to your system. Wiis are cheap and you don't have to keep lugigng different systems every time, you can choose from a variety of controllers (including the NES/SNES Mini controllers if you have them, along with Wiimotes, Classic Controller, Gamecube controllers, etc), and you have access to pretty much every Nintendo game before the Wii (N64 emulation is spotty though, even on the official Wii VC releases)

For office party type of settings it seems like the best bet easily. 30 minutes to soft mod your Wii and then you can use it for basically all future work tournies. Personally I don't think it's worth the monetary investment of getting a bunch of systems, controllers, games, and accessories otherwise, especially if you plan on changing up the games once you're done Bomberman.

Thanks.

Thing is, I have duplicates of most systems and enough controllers accomodate pretty much every setup. Really, Bomberman is a rare case where it seemed like the best option was a SNES setup with a multitap. But obviously there seem to be some better options here.

Does anyone recommend Super Bomberman R on the Switch? Wasn't sure if it's really a "classic" experience. Always have to be weary of learning curves for casual gamers.

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:09:21 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Yo bro i have super bomberman R for the switch and imo it sucks pretty bad. Colors are blah and i dont like the 3 d aspect of it. Granted i am sure it gives more options such as ramps etc but i prefer the old top down way better. Played it for about an hour and probably never will again.

Good luck on the tourney most def go snes, i think the sega version is just as expensive for the cart if not more than snes but its been a while.

In the future imo the best 4 player game ever is nba jam, draw a name for partner and phi slama jama might be fun for office!

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:25:20 AM
Koopa64 (0)
Canada
The wii option is good but if you don't own anything wii related, the controllers (wiimotes+classic controllers) can be a bit costly. starting from nothing, ps1 is the cheapest by far. if you still have some wii stuff, then absolutely go for that, hopefully won't cost much to get a few more controllers. it's at least free to mod a wii, just needs an sd card.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:34:02 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: BilltownSparty

Yo bro i have super bomberman R for the switch and imo it sucks pretty bad. Colors are blah and i dont like the 3 d aspect of it. Granted i am sure it gives more options such as ramps etc but i prefer the old top down way better. Played it for about an hour and probably never will again.

Good luck on the tourney most def go snes, i think the sega version is just as expensive for the cart if not more than snes but its been a while.

In the future imo the best 4 player game ever is nba jam, draw a name for partner and phi slama jama might be fun for office!

Thanks.

Yeah, we've already done two, 2 v 2 16-person JAM tournaments over the last few years and we're actually in the middle of a NBA League right now.