Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sealed Collecting Questions Wata/VGA Advice, Authentic vs. Reseal Help, etc.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:26:16 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
I remove every sticker, security tag, smudge, residue, etc myself, although if I was not comfortable with the process, I would trust VGA to do it. However, there are some stickers tricky enough that even they won't remove them (security stickers).

In order to get VGA to case your games with the hangtabs in the upright position, you must mention you want the hangtab slot in the top rail at the time of submission and they charge $3 extra per game to do so. I prefer it on any game I submit with a hangtab so I don't mind paying that price.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:31:59 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
hey Moe. I got a game that proves you don't have all stickers removed :-P

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:34:57 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Paul

hey Moe. I got a game that proves you don't have all stickers removed :-P
Oh snap! You got me

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:26:35 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Am I the only one that takes off my own hang tabs? I did it on my Mega Man 1 and Final Fantasy 2. Never had any issues. My Kid Klown I simply dropped the ball and didn't remove the sticker. Usually I remove them myself.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:30:54 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
^ I only take mine off if they are discolored, cracked, creased or boogery.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:33:58 PM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: MoeDown

I remove every sticker, security tag, smudge, residue, etc myself, although if I was not comfortable with the process, I would trust VGA to do it. However, there are some stickers tricky enough that even they won't remove them (security stickers).

In order to get VGA to case your games with the hangtabs in the upright position, you must mention you want the hangtab slot in the top rail at the time of submission and they charge $3 extra per game to do so. I prefer it on any game I submit with a hangtab so I don't mind paying that price.

+1. 

I always remove any price tags myself and also give them a light cleaning before submitting.

If a game has a plastic hangtab, it just sorta depends.  I will usually remove them unless it doesn't detract from the appearance (which I admit is subjective).  If the hanger is the creased/non-preforated type, I almost always remove them since they can break in half easily if overstressed.  This style is usually only seen on NES games.  If it's the preforated type, I usually leave it since they look good and are usually not overstressed.  This style is usually on SNES games.  If the game is an NES cardboard hangtab type and also has a plastic hanger, I always remove the hanger since it covers up the cardboard hangtab.

-------------------------

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:41:51 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
^ HAHA!!! I was just going to edit my last post to say I also take the plastic hangtabs off anything with a cardboard hangtab as the cardboard is much prettier

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:51:53 PM
Max Velocity (38)
< Kraid Killer >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: matt17_52

My question is if VGA only grades sealed games I find it very difficult to assume that they know exactly how every single item was sealed and could determine it's authenticity. 

I think there's only a few different types of seams and after grading thousands of games I'm pretty sure they could spot a fake pretty easily. VGA knows what they are doing.

SNES - 660

Edited: 03/13/2012 at 06:53 PM by Max Velocity

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:38:35 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
Sweet! Don't get me wrong I think VGA is a wonderful service that is very much needed in our community. Just had a few questions about how they started and who is actually the brains behind VGA. I think it would be kinda helpful if they had something on their site in the FAQs explaining how they perfected the art of sealed video game grading.

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:24:22 PM
Max Velocity (38)
< Kraid Killer >
Nova Scotia
Ok cool I understand. I wasn't sure at first when you started that thread if it was a VGA bashing type thread or if you had some legit questions.

SNES - 660

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:18:15 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
It all started today at work. My buddy collects action figures and starting lineups all sealed in original packaging. I mentioned that he should send them to VGA and get them graded. As we continued talking about it he asked me where did VGA come from and what makes them experts. It sort of puzzled me at first and then I realized I had no idea. We look at their website and couldn't really find anything and then he says "who gives them the authority? Their has to be some sort of background to make them experts. I wouldn't let anybody rebuild my engine in my car just because they say they are experts at it, I would have a few questions as to where they learned their info and what kind of grades they made in mechanic school first, ya know?" So from there I thought I would ask and see.

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:41:02 AM
needler420 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Jay L) < Little Mac >
Florida
Mehh after reading everything VGA does its still hard not to take them as a joke. I get grading trading cards,coins comics etc. But games is just too new right now too many variables change.

I been seeing on sites people sending in new gen games to get graded. Games that you can still buy at walmart lol

Edited: 03/14/2012 at 02:43 AM by needler420

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:51:26 AM
needler420 (0)
(Jay L) < Little Mac >
Florida

Originally posted by: sconley666

I saw that Paul had a graded SMB that said 10 for a grade but it was an avatar pic so I didn't know if that was REAL or Photoshopped ( and I never thought to ask him about it.)

I can't believe VGA even gave that a grade or accepted it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:04:37 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden
I've heard that there is a list containing all the games they've ever graded, is it true (and where do i find it if it is)?

The 8-digit codes on all the labels, can they be used for finding a specific item in VGA's database?

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:29:05 PM
Cabanon (53)
(Louis Duquet) < Lolo Lord >
Quebec
Originally posted by: cartman

I've heard that there is a list containing all the games they've ever graded, is it true (and where do i find it if it is)?

The 8-digit codes on all the labels, can they be used for finding a specific item in VGA's database?

those are the archival type i think. you have to pay top get that number.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:47:53 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Cabanon

Originally posted by: cartman

those are the archival type i think. you have to pay top get that number.
Archival ONLY means the game is cased in 99% UV protectant acryllic and the submitter's turnaround time was 1-3 days. That's it. It has absolutely nothing to do with any numbers. Every item graded gets a serial number and all those numbers are kept in the "Population Report" database which, at this time, is inaccesible to anyone outside of VGA. The Population Report for AFA works great and shows every item graded and at what grade for any individual action figure. VGA's Pop-Report "public version" is in the works.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:20:59 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: needler420

Mehh after reading everything VGA does its still hard not to take them as a joke. I get grading trading cards,coins comics etc. But games is just too new right now too many variables change.

I been seeing on sites people sending in new gen games to get graded. Games that you can still buy at walmart lol

What variables change?  They aren't still producing a Hang Tab Kid Icarus for the NES FYI.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:22:46 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

I saw that Paul had a graded SMB that said 10 for a grade but it was an avatar pic so I didn't know if that was REAL or Photoshopped ( and I never thought to ask him about it.)

Again, you make zero sense.  If anything this verifies VGA as legitimate.  They determined the game is

A. Factory Sealed

and

B. The worst condition - 10

And its sexy as fuck

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:38:51 PM
needler420 (0)
(Jay L) < Little Mac >
Florida
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Again, you make zero sense.  If anything this verifies VGA as legitimate.  They determined the game is

A. Factory Sealed

and

And its sexy as fuck

VGA said it was factory sealed and in the worst condition? I could of told you that for free.
 Literally.

The appraisal probably cost more then the total value of the item. So yeah I'm stick with VGA is currenty a joke. It almost seems like who ever sent that in was trying to make them seem like a joke as well. Hence why somebody already made a comment thinking it was a photshop. No photoshop here folks that's VGA for you lol.

Edited: 03/14/2012 at 04:47 PM by needler420

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:53:00 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

A. Factory Sealed

and

And its sexy as fuck

VGA said it was factory sealed and in the worst condition? I could of told you that for free.
 Literally.

The appraisal probably cost more then the total value of the item. So yeah I'm stick with VGA is currenty a joke. It almost seems like who ever sent that in was trying to make them seem like a joke as well. Hence why somebody already made a comment thinking it was a photshop. No photoshop here folks that's VGA for you lol.

Let me be real with you for a sec! 

The game was not a joke.

It was sent in by someone and given to me as a gift. 

It's honestly one of the highlights of my collection.

Why?  Because I'm the guy who collects beat up crappy games.

What better centerpiece then the game that started my passion for video games?

Why do you insist of bashing VGA because they performed the service they were paid and asked to perform on this game.

Verify and grade it if it is legit. Which is what they did.

All that said.

I don't bloody care what you do or don't think about this game, but please do not, and I repeat do not quote any of these posts again if these pictures are present.

You are being very disrespectful to my collection and one of the best gifts ever given to me, and it's really starting to piss me off!

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:57:18 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Dude must be on Activia cause he's been thread crapping all day! Ba dum, ching! Ok, that was fail.

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:01:29 PM
needler420 (0)
(Jay L) < Little Mac >
Florida

Hey I didn't know if it was a photoshop either someone posted a comment about it possibly being a photoshop and to me its so much of a joke how would i have known otherwise less you the owner stated otherwise which now i know. The statment was someone was going to ask you if it was a photoshop once i saw that i though it was a photoshop also.

Edited: 03/14/2012 at 05:02 PM by needler420

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:11:03 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Sorry if I jumped the gun Needler..

just that mario is seriously one of my price possessions..

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:26:51 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Obviously that wouldn't be a standard example of a game someone would send to VGA, but a specific request to assign an honest grade to a game that a crappy condition game collector would find great joy in. I don't see how that makes VGA a joke.

It is difficult in itself to find a game that bad that still qualifies for VGA grading. I challenge you to find another that you don't mess up yourself.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:46:00 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Needler is contradicting himself left and right.  VGA is a joke but coin authenticators are not?? Get a clue oh and fuck off

VGA provides a service, but let me take a stab and say you can spot a reseal a mile away?  Some of the best collectors have been fooled so save it.  You're Bournano 2.0 piss off already