Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew The Incident - new NES Homebrew $10 off through December 1st!!! khangames.com/store

May 27, 2016 at 11:51:31 PM
IBtiM (11)
(Tim Hartman) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: IBtiM

Such a good game. This should be a staple in Homebrew collections.

Agreed! 

+1

Well look at that. Great minds think alike. Love the tunes on the first level.

-------------------------
Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:45:58 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
I finally finished The Incident today. Thoroughly satisfying in game play and storyline. It's fun and frustrating. The soundtrack is among the best of all NES games.

I am not sure quite how to put it, but the way the game finished was extremely well done. Not just the end I but the entire scenario that lead to the finale.

**minor spoiler** The segue from the difficulty of previous levels to the ease of levels 90 onward, with a slight ramp up in difficulty during the final levels was a great mechanism to express the climax/denouement/epilogue of the storytelling. It was also a much needed relief from the pure frustration of difficulty and shame of buying solutions.

My favorite song on the soundtrack was level 91-99. I listened to that for a while on the sound test after I was done. The music was inseparable from the atmosphere of the game.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to The Incident.

Edited: 01/16/2017 at 01:46 AM by JamesRobot

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:14:54 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

I finally finished The Incident today. Thoroughly satisfying in game play and storyline. It's fun and frustrating. The soundtrack is among the best of all NES games. I am not sure quite how to put it, but the way the game finished was extremely well done. Not just the end I but the entire scenario that lead to the finale. **minor spoiler** The segue from the difficulty of previous levels to the ease of levels 90 onward, with a slight ramp up in difficulty during the final levels was a great mechanism to express the climax/denouement/epilogue of the storytelling. It was also a much needed relief from the pure frustration of difficulty and shame of buying solutions. My favorite song on the soundtrack was level 91-99. I listened to that for a while on the sound test after I was done. The music was inseparable from the atmosphere of the game. Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to The Incident.

Damn I forgot about this. I still need to finish it. In the 60s and things started getting brutal. I've used up exactly one solution, then was like "I am such a dumbass" when I saw it. I was so close to solving the puzzle before I gave up.

The Incident by Khan, and 0-to-X by SoleGooseGames, both tax the brain in extreme ways. You get unlimited time so planning out moves and restarting over the course of hours can really leave one with a mental lactic burn of sorts.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:28:44 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Excellent game! One of the top homebrews out there!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:44:55 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

I finally finished The Incident today. Thoroughly satisfying in game play and storyline. It's fun and frustrating. The soundtrack is among the best of all NES games. I am not sure quite how to put it, but the way the game finished was extremely well done. Not just the end I but the entire scenario that lead to the finale. **minor spoiler** The segue from the difficulty of previous levels to the ease of levels 90 onward, with a slight ramp up in difficulty during the final levels was a great mechanism to express the climax/denouement/epilogue of the storytelling. It was also a much needed relief from the pure frustration of difficulty and shame of buying solutions. My favorite song on the soundtrack was level 91-99. I listened to that for a while on the sound test after I was done. The music was inseparable from the atmosphere of the game. Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to The Incident.

Thanks, James. That really means a lot.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:45:01 AM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana

Damn I forgot about this. I still need to finish it. In the 60s and things started getting brutal. I've used up exactly one solution, then was like "I am such a dumbass" when I saw it. I was so close to solving the puzzle before I gave up.

The Incident by Khan, and 0-to-X by SoleGooseGames, both tax the brain in extreme ways. You get unlimited time so planning out moves and restarting over the course of hours can really leave one with a mental lactic burn of sorts.

Just wait until 73

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:52:24 AM
JamesRobot (22)
Colorado
Originally posted by: AaronE

Just wait until 73

70s through 80s were quite tough. That is where I used most of my unlocks. Still some doable puzzles but I for sure needed the assist. I believe I ended up with 19 ulocks left over. I purposely tried not to use them until later levels because I had heard rumors if some near impossible puzzles.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:01:05 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
You know, I bet I could add The Incident to the scoreboard for number of unlocks achieved!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:08:09 PM
JamesRobot (22)
Colorado
^ I did check just to make sure, before i played last night.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:22:18 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

You know, I bet I could add The Incident to the scoreboard for number of unlocks achieved!
Too complicated, I think. Going for "lowest score" it would be easy to say "zero unlocks" with a fresh save file, but that would be lame IMO.

Also the Incident keeps a number of interesting stats besides number of puzzles completed or "unlocks used". For instance it counts the total number of moves you have made in terms of cumulative block pushes (including counting every time you restart a puzzle), as well as the number of moves used to complete each puzzle.

Brian said that scoreboard can only check one location in memory for the score, but something like The Incident where less is better, one would need to complete he entire game (all 100 puzzles) and do it with the fewest cumulative moves for bragging rights. I don't think a simple algorithm of "check one memory location to dump score" would work. You would need detailed analysis of the save file to compile such a score.

Not entirely sure, but are there any games currently in the Scoreboard database where "less is better" rather than more? I wish there was an option to log "time to complete game event" for speedrunners. Scoreboard logs time played but AFAIK does not actively scan for events such as "game complete". Any game with a credit sequence or distinct ending screen would be doable. But since the scoreboard cannot scan RAM addresses without interrupting gameplay would defeat this purpose.

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 03:24 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:25:51 AM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida

Too complicated, I think. Going for "lowest score" it would be easy to say "zero unlocks" with a fresh save file, but that would be lame IMO.

Also the Incident keeps a number of interesting stats besides number of puzzles completed or "unlocks used". For instance it counts the total number of moves you have made in terms of cumulative block pushes (including counting every time you restart a puzzle), as well as the number of moves used to complete each puzzle.

Brian said that scoreboard can only check one location in memory for the score, but something like The Incident where less is better, one would need to complete he entire game (all 100 puzzles) and do it with the fewest cumulative moves for bragging rights. I don't think a simple algorithm of "check one memory location to dump score" would work. You would need detailed analysis of the save file to compile such a score.

Not entirely sure, but are there any games currently in the Scoreboard database where "less is better" rather than more? I wish there was an option to log "time to complete game event" for speedrunners. Scoreboard logs time played but AFAIK does not actively scan for events such as "game complete". Any game with a credit sequence or distinct ending screen would be doable. But since the scoreboard cannot scan RAM addresses without interrupting gameplay would defeat this purpose.

How is it too complicated? Obviously someone with the most unlocks has solved the most puzzles and used the least amount of solutions to solve puzzles they're stuck on.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:42:38 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

How is it too complicated? Obviously someone with the most unlocks has solved the most puzzles and used the least amount of solutions to solve puzzles they're stuck on.

So you have to subtract solutions used from puzzles unlocked. A perfect score would be 100.

I think "total moves" would be funny too. Some people would have huge scores...  

Edited: 01/17/2017 at 11:43 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:48:01 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Obvious. Not just this. And I apologize if I add something stupid here: I assume that also you can restart from the beginning after finishing the game, and try to do better next time. This would add longevity to an already challenging game. I see no better meter of comparison than the fewest number of "help me out please" used, from a game to your next.

Also, and again sorry if this is a stupid question, there is a place you can link where it is explained how to program your score to be compatible with the AVS scoring system?
I mean, let say a game score goes from 100 to 9900, and x1000 digit is stored in zeropage $fe, x100 digit in $ff, and then you add 00 in the end. Would this be potentially compatible with AVS scoring system?

Only if you have the answer and a minute to waste, of course.
That would be very appreciated. Thanks!  

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:37:12 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Originally posted by: user

Obvious. Not just this. And I apologize if I add something stupid here: I assume that also you can restart from the beginning after finishing the game, and try to do better next time. This would add longevity to an already challenging game. I see no better meter of comparison than the fewest number of "help me out please" used, from a game to your next.

Also, and again sorry if this is a stupid question, there is a place you can link where it is explained how to program your score to be compatible with the AVS scoring system?
I mean, let say a game score goes from 100 to 9900, and x1000 digit is stored in zeropage $fe, x100 digit in $ff, and then you add 00 in the end. Would this be potentially compatible with AVS scoring system?

Only if you have the answer and a minute to waste, of course.
That would be very appreciated. Thanks!  

The score's digits needs to be sequential, either forwards or backwards (hex or decimal doesn't matter). And then I have the ability to tell the scoreboard if the score is x10 or x100, etc.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:48:31 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

The score's digits needs to be sequential, either forwards or backwards (hex or decimal doesn't matter). And then I have the ability to tell the scoreboard if the score is x10 or x100, etc.

Two sequential bytes in RAM. Wonderful.
Thank you very much, Appreciated.
And sorry for the quick OT in your game thread.