Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nesrulers Contest Presents: Bomberman 2 (1 Week to go! Ends next Sunday 12/20 at 9 pm central

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:03:31 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Hey guys!
This weeks game is bomberman 2!
Ends next sunday at 9 pm central time!

LAST WEEK OF CONTEST!
WELL PRETTY MUCH LOL!!!

REMEMBER 2010 NO EMULATORS NEVER ALLOWED!!!

No names= no score!

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremy

-------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:06:54 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
man i love this game, but i doubt i'll be playing. i'll be out of town for christmas and sunday is my birthday

Let's Go Penguins!

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:07:24 PM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
I think you should be able to use an emulator provided you upload a video of gameplay. If your not going to allow emulators, then the powerpak should also be outlawed, because its just as easy to get a trained/hacked rom and use it on your powerpak to cheat.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:11:34 PM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
uhhhhhh lol.. let it be a commuinty choice
Jeremy

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:16:21 PM
dr.robbie (175)
Missouri
Originally posted by: Herbalist

I think you should be able to use an emulator provided you upload a video of gameplay. If your not going to allow emulators, then the powerpak should also be outlawed, because its just as easy to get a trained/hacked rom and use it on your powerpak to cheat.

I agree that that should be fine. Really, no matter how you break it down, it's probably possible to cheap in any form. I think it should just be about reducing the easiest forms of cheating.

Let's Go Penguins!

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:28:43 PM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
well... what ever u guys wanna do lol
Jeremy

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:00:07 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Oh good, I get a week to rest. After Smash T.V. I need it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:10:48 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I don't have this game, so I won't be playing this week.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:25:04 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

I agree that that should be fine. Really, no matter how you break it down, it's probably possible to cheap in any form. I think it should just be about reducing the easiest forms of cheating.

I agree on the possibility to play with an emulator if a video is provided as proof.
About forbidding the powerpak, I don't think it's necessary. Like Robbie said, it is mainly to avoid all the extravagant and easy way to cheat with the emulator itself. This is not just about save states, anybody that know just a little about HEX editing can modify so easily any values in the game, and especially score values.
Using a hack on purpose for cheating with the Powerpak is odd. It is really not a common use of hacking, so I really don't think it is as easy as cheating with the emulator.

This said, I think the emulator rule is only effective in 2010, so if you lady and gentlemen have no problem with this, I'll have to use an emulator to play Bomberman II this week. I'll try to test some emulator that provide recording option by the way.

Dec 14, 2009 at 6:00:48 PM
nes_king (63)
(josh .) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
i guess im kicking it off with just over 20,000 points (no picture) but ill be playing as much as i can this week, so expect a much much better picture by weeks end.

sell me your flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak MANUAL..

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:50:50 AM
Maydogg6 (49)
(Assy McGee) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: dr.robbie

I agree on the possibility to play with an emulator if a video is provided as proof.
About forbidding the powerpak, I don't think it's necessary. Like Robbie said, it is mainly to avoid all the extravagant and easy way to cheat with the emulator itself. This is not just about save states, anybody that know just a little about HEX editing can modify so easily any values in the game, and especially score values.
Using a hack on purpose for cheating with the Powerpak is odd. It is really not a common use of hacking, so I really don't think it is as easy as cheating with the emulator.

This said, I think the emulator rule is only effective in 2010, so if you lady and gentlemen have no problem with this, I'll have to use an emulator to play Bomberman II this week. I'll try to test some emulator that provide recording option by the way.

Video as proof sounds good, but I dont think anyone is gonna want to sit through hours of gameplay to verify the scores.

I think cancelling emulators is a good idea, personally.

"I will beat you like a drum."

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:45:46 PM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
of course
I will be more then happy to sit through hours!
I want to lol!
PLEASE POST VIDEOS LOL!
Jeremy

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:52:07 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington

I ended up beating it, and I'm glad that it ended because the repetition was getting on my nerves.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:55:54 PM
nes_king (63)
Wisconsin
holy shit nice score.. i need to keep practicing...

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:58:24 PM
ihavethatpma (324)
Washington
Once you get the detonator, the ability to walk through walls and walk through bombs, the rest of the game is a piece of cake. I had to start over a couple of times because of really stupid mistakes, though.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:35:31 PM
dr.robbie (175)
Missouri
nice score buddy. i can't get very far in this game and get bored in it pretty quickly apparently

Let's Go Penguins!

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:02:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

You can't equate emulator use to the PowerPak.  You can't save-state on the PowerPak.

Hell, if you're going to go to the trouble of hacking the rom, then how do you know somebody didn't burn a repro and pass it off as a real cart

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:32:10 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

I could do much, much, much ,much better, but I really got no time to play this week. I'm out for vacation in 3 hours, and I'll be traveling until 10:30 pm, so there's minimal chance I can do another score in the next hours with all the stuff I need to do before leaving.
I have a video recorded through Nestopia emulator. It must be played back in Nestopia, and it is very easy to use, and there's even a fast forward option when playing it back. We might consider this as an alternative for using emulator.

Happy Holidays to everyone that participate in the contest this year!

EDIT: Final score: 686300

Edited: 12/20/2009 at 11:52 AM by guillavoie

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:10:59 PM
nes_king (63)
Wisconsin
well i had 125,000 but my brother erased it off the camera so i guess im out..

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:48:13 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
All this talk of cheating/save states/hex editing, what about game genie codes? How do you protect against that? This leaves the PowerPak out as well. Seems like video is the only failsafe way to do it, but it seems like a PITA for most people.

The Nestopia thing is a decent idea, but still you are stuck with uploading videos. And still you can't protect against tool assisted runs.

I can't think of any good solution, but I don't see any difference between banning emulators and banning PowerPaks.

Dec 23, 2009 at 7:19:59 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
Washington
I don't understand why anybody would want to cheat on a fun little community contest anyways. It would be nice if everybody just used the actual cart and took a picture of it in their system next to the tv, but not everyone has the game of the week. Take this week for instance, Bomberman 2 is an uncommon game that's kind of spendy, and a lot of people sat this week out because of that reason I think. Wasn't there a RC Pro Am 2 week as well? I'm sure people sat that one out too for the same reasons. Sorry if this has already been covered.