Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are THE Nintendo (NES) games to beat?

Sep 05 at 12:10:29 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Originally posted by: mbd39

I've rarely even made it past stage 4 and believe me I've tried. Contra is way easier for me. People seem to think that Super C is easier which I don't understand.

I think the difficulties of Contra and Super C are about on par with each other. Super C might be a touch harder due to a couple parts in stage 6, and stage 8 in Super C is harder than it is in Contra. But overall it's not a big difference.

Sep 05 at 3:20:07 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
This thread makes me want to play Super C. I haven't played it since I was a kid but don't remember it being much different than Contra. I was 30-living it at the time of course though.

Also if someone beats Galactic Crusader, that's an impressive accomplishment to me. I've asked a couple times and never heard of someone beating it legit. It might not be 10/10 difficulty. For all I know it just might be because it's one of the most obscure NES games, but it sure is a rare completion!

For all you know, you could be the first person to ever beat it. Go ahead, you, make history!:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&...

-------------------------
Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 09/05/2019 at 03:24 PM by DefaultGen

Sep 05 at 3:27:14 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Stooperzero

Double Dragon 2 on Warrior setting so you get the true ending.
I'd argue that Double Dragon 1 is the harder game.

The flying knee is DD2 is massively over-powered against bosses and otherwise difficult enemies.
Double Dragon 1 has the headbutt, but it is a much riskier move and not the instant-kill that the flying knee represents.

Sep 05 at 3:35:41 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The flying knee is DD2 is massively over-powered against bosses and otherwise difficult enemies.
Double Dragon 1 has the headbutt, but it is a much riskier move and not the instant-kill that the flying knee represents.

The elbow is the best move in DD1. Defeats Abobo and Chin in four hits. The headbutt is weak and not that useful unless you're playing for high score.

The knee is overpowered in DD2 but the timing is also tricky to pull off.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Sep 05 at 3:39:53 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The elbow is the best move in DD1. Defeats Abobo and Chin in four hits. The headbutt is weak and not that useful unless you're playing for high score.

The knee is overpowered in DD2 but the timing is also tricky to pull off.

My mistake on elbow vs headbutt.  Been awhile since I've played through it to beat it... I just remember there being a "power move" that was fairly close quarters making it trickier with the guys that have reach.

And yes, the knee timing is tricky...but the power level for that move is insane.
You also have the spin kick, which given the amount of platform sections available in the game, is itself quite potent for getting one-hit kills.

Sep 05 at 6:01:01 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Also if someone beats Galactic Crusader, that's an impressive accomplishment to me. I've asked a couple times and never heard of someone beating it legit. It might not be 10/10 difficulty. For all I know it just might be because it's one of the most obscure NES games, but it sure is a rare completion!

For all you know, you could be the first person to ever beat it. Go ahead, you, make history!:
Bea Iank beat it back in 2016, in the year that we collectively beat every NES game (even the unlicensed and PAL ones):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&th...

Her tip for the game was:
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Tequila. Lots and lots of tequila. Because it will test your patience.
Then keep punching till it breaks.  

Edited: 09/05/2019 at 06:01 PM by bronzeshield

Sep 05 at 6:08:20 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

Bea Iank beat it back in 2016, in the year that we collectively beat every NES game (even the unlicensed and PAL ones):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&th...

Her tip for the game was:

Tequila. Lots and lots of tequila. Because it will test your patience.
Then keep punching till it breaks.  

Ah, back when I had time to be half decent at videogames.
This is another game I will have to revisit on live stream once retirement comes through.
I remember how badly it pushed me, but I couldn't give up. I had to crush it, see it driven before me and hear the lamentation of it's women.

I shall do that again.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 05 at 6:16:04 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Oh man, I didn't realize that one. Is there actually any game that's ever defeated you Bea_Iank? Surely no NES game has. Looking your your Ikari Warriors tips, you end with "And alcohol. LOTS of alcohol", a running theme!

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 05 at 6:38:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Oh man, I didn't realize that one. Is there actually any game that's ever defeated you Bea_Iank? Surely no NES game has. Looking your your Ikari Warriors tips, you end with "And alcohol. LOTS of alcohol", a running theme!

She's actually pretty bad at NES Mario Bros. We both lucked past that game in the 2016 tournament.

Sep 05 at 6:48:49 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Megaman 2 also gives me a run for my money. Metalman is nigh invincible.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Sep 06 at 6:58:03 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Many of the "toughest" games just take practice and time to determine patterns and then they aren't so bad.

If you want a sneaky hard platformer that I personally think is also a hidden gem, take a stab at Street Fighter 2010. That one took some serious work to beat personally.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 06 at 7:53:50 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Many of the "toughest" games just take practice and time to determine patterns and then they aren't so bad.

If you want a sneaky hard platformer that I personally think is also a hidden gem, take a stab at Street Fighter 2010. That one took some serious work to beat personally.
Dtysonator makes that one looks like child's play when he beats it on stream.
But surely is a tough one. And a very fun one at that too.
Great underrated gem.

Sep 06 at 1:25:00 PM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Dtysonator makes that one looks like child's play when he beats it on stream.
But surely is a tough one. And a very fun one at that too.
Great underrated gem.

+1 for the Street Fighter 2010 mentions! It's an absolute gem to me too. It's a good challenge and has a fairly steep learning curve, though I don't think it is amongst the truly hardest NES games. 

Sep 06 at 3:43:47 PM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Tragic that we're this far in and nobody acknowledges how important the power of friendship is!
Bubble Bobble.

Seriously, though, I'm all for challenging games as long as it feels rewarding to struggle through them.
Some of those have been mentioned here (Super C, Batman, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, etc.)
Then there's difficult games that simply aren't worth the frustration. The latter are novel, but I wouldn't sleep at night if I recommended them to others for any reason.

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Sep 06 at 6:07:17 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
^^^I would put Ghosts and Goblins into that category too. It's insane difficulty mainly comes from the fact that it's so cheap in places. I would put Breakthru and Bad Dudes in this category as well.

Sep 06 at 7:12:39 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Arkanoid, High Speed, Adventure Island all stand out to me

May the force be with you.

Sep 08 at 1:44:10 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Games mentioned seem pretty on point. Yeesh... I wish there were more games being discussed here I can beat. 

Contra, and Super C I can beat easily. Contra I can max out and Super C doesn't get harder so theoretically could loop endlessly...

*Double Dragon I've beat. Using the points trick and many tries. 
*Double Dragon 2 I can beat easily, so I don't consider it too hard. III I've beat once. 
*Mega Man (With a few tries), and not sure why people put MM2 on the list. That's easiest for me, but again, I have played it the most probably.

Games I can "beat" with endless continues:
*Castlevania (& help from NA)
*Ghosts & Goblins

Games I can't beat:

*TMNT never made too much progress...
*Punch Out I haven't beaten Mike Tyson (can get there kinda easy with a little practise). 
*Ninja Gaiden kicks my ass every time. 
*Battletoads  can easily max the score and get to Terra Tubes/Rat Race... but the Clinger Winger really fucks me up. Last time I tried to beat it with a Game Genie I beat that part, but didn't beat the Dark Queen.  
*Zelda 2 never really played...
*Batman never really given a solid effort, but it kicks my ass pretty easily. 
*Adventure Island I've gotten to level 7-4, see thread, haha. Endless continues. Have to go back again...

I've rarely even made it past stage 4 and believe me I've tried. Contra is way easier for me. People seem to think that Super C is easier which I don't understand.

This melts my brain, give how incredible you've destroyed other similarily difficult games. What is it about Super C that gets you hung up? I've always been one of those people... Contra was always trickier for me... but I think that Level 6 (Quick internet search), yup... AREA 6 in Super C... is the hardest level of both games... and if you aren't careful that level will fuck you up bad and end your shit real quick. 

But als, for Super C, if the overhead levels aren't your cup of tea and they can be a pain, then that make the game more difficult for sure.

Originally posted by: phart010

Sometimes I wonder if Contra is actually a hard game. It impossible for me to say because I've been playing since I was like 5 years old and I can beat it sleeping. If I played it for the first time as an adult would I find it difficult?

I have also wondered this. I've thought abuot making a thread about it many times. The games I play "new" as an adult are hard as fuck. 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 09/08/2019 at 01:45 PM by AirVillain

Sep 08 at 2:05:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: AirVillain

This melts my brain, give how incredible you've destroyed other similarily difficult games. What is it about Super C that gets you hung up? I've always been one of those people... Contra was always trickier for me... but I think that Level 6 (Quick internet search), yup... AREA 6 in Super C... is the hardest level of both games... and if you aren't careful that level will fuck you up bad and end your shit real quick. 

But als, for Super C, if the overhead levels aren't your cup of tea and they can be a pain, then that make the game more difficult for sure.

For some reason Stage 4 is quite hard for me. If I get there with spread I'll usually mess up and lose it. I've never even reached the second overhead stage.

Sep 09 at 2:45:02 AM
AndyonaSkateboard (0)
< Crack Trooper >
All the hardest games have been mentioned, but I will throw in TMNT 3 as a game I feel like an NES fan should finish simply because its awesome. Preferably with a friend and some beer, and bonus points if you don't use both long range turtles.

Sep 09 at 12:49:07 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia

Games mentioned seem pretty on point. Yeesh... I wish there were more games being discussed here I can beat. 

Contra, and Super C I can beat easily. Contra I can max out and Super C doesn't get harder so theoretically could loop endlessly...

*Double Dragon I've beat. Using the points trick and many tries. 
*Double Dragon 2 I can beat easily, so I don't consider it too hard. III I've beat once. 
*Mega Man (With a few tries), and not sure why people put MM2 on the list. That's easiest for me, but again, I have played it the most probably.

Games I can "beat" with endless continues:
*Castlevania (& help from NA)
*Ghosts & Goblins

Games I can't beat:

*TMNT never made too much progress...
*Punch Out I haven't beaten Mike Tyson (can get there kinda easy with a little practise). 
*Ninja Gaiden kicks my ass every time. 
*Battletoads  can easily max the score and get to Terra Tubes/Rat Race... but the Clinger Winger really fucks me up. Last time I tried to beat it with a Game Genie I beat that part, but didn't beat the Dark Queen.  
*Zelda 2 never really played...
*Batman never really given a solid effort, but it kicks my ass pretty easily. 
*Adventure Island I've gotten to level 7-4, see thread, haha. Endless continues. Have to go back again...

Have you tried the pause trick in clinger winger? Everytime you are about to turn pause the game. When it is paused tap the correct direction to turn and unpause it. It really helps learn the route. Also make sure your controller's D-pad is solid. I had a couple controllers that seemed fine on most games but couldn't handle Clinger Winger. Once I got one with a nice D-pad I beat it first time. 

Edited: 09/09/2019 at 12:50 PM by Kid Dracula

Sep 09 at 2:48:44 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

For some reason Stage 4 is quite hard for me. If I get there with spread I'll usually mess up and lose it. I've never even reached the second overhead stage.

Hmmm, interesting... Area 4 is tricky... just gotta make sure to duck before the bombs drop, really... I mean, it's relentless, no doubt. Guys dropping on your head is annoying. Get that Contra code going!

Originally posted by: Kid Dracula

Have you tried the pause trick in clinger winger? Everytime you are about to turn pause the game. When it is paused tap the correct direction to turn and unpause it. It really helps learn the route. Also make sure your controller's D-pad is solid. I had a couple controllers that seemed fine on most games but couldn't handle Clinger Winger. Once I got one with a nice D-pad I beat it first time. 

Nope... never tried that... Hmmmm... might just have to give that a shot. 

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Sep 10 at 11:31:15 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

There's a list of the "30 hardest NES games ever" from 2011, but it could use an update. Overlord is quite easy to beat, for example, and Star Voyager isn't especially hard at all. Dragon's Lair has an incredibly nasty final boss but otherwise isn't too difficult once you learn the game. Even so, beating most games on the list -- really, anything except Overlord -- would still be a bragworthy achievement.

Besides Ikari Warriors, I'd say that Mutant Virus, Q*bert, Arkanoid, To the Earth, and High Speed are a few of the games that have emerged as strong candidates for the hardest NES game. I'd throw in The Last Starfighter too -- I found it almost unplayable, and that's coming from someone who's beaten a Uridium clone on the CD-i (Steel Machine), though that game at least lets you save after each level. No doubt someone else has figured out TLS better than I have.

Of course if we're talking about "rite of passage" games, then beating Blaster Master is maybe the biggest one I haven't done yet. And yeah, I too have a hard time telling whether games like Contra, TMNT, and Mega Man are really hard since I've played them so much.
As one of the few people in the elite category who's beaten Mutant Virus.  Its not 'hard' as much as its and endurance challenge.  Id actually say Battletoads is harder because it requires WAY more play time to beat.  Mutant virus' difficulty is really just level 4 and 5 and if you're willing to leave your NES on you can beat it without any 'real' skill.  Just my 2 cents.  Ive never beat or really played Bump N' Jump, but id say that list is real strong.  Id add Adventure Island along with Battletoads.  Games that require you to play a TON and memorize almost every facet of the game.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 10 at 11:26:50 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
I have always found the Castlevania series to be easy for me to beat ,especially the older 8bit and 16bit CV titles .But there again CV just happens to be my favorite video game series ,and I just happen to be a natural at the series ..

Sep 11 at 9:14:36 AM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: phart010

Sometimes I wonder if Contra is actually a hard game. It impossible for me to say because I've been playing since I was like 5 years old and I can beat it sleeping. If I played it for the first time as an adult would I find it difficult?

I remember thinking it was impossible without the konami code as a kid, but I pretty much mastered it about 10 years ago and was able to max out the score. 

As much as I hate admitting this, I have never beaten any of the Castlevania games.  One of these days I need to sit down in front of my NES and vow not to get up until I beat the first one! lol 

Sep 12 at 1:34:19 PM
ruudos (1)
(Rad Gravity) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Snake Rattle and Roll
Battletoads
Burai Fighter (on Ultimate)
Star Soldier
Track & Field II (without using turbo)