Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

FAKE Starwing Competition PAL SNES cart on eBay Pics inside to compare...

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:25:52 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
I just want to warn people about this auction...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/starwi...

This is 100% reproduction.
Firstly, this game NEVER came with a box, manual, or any other pamphlet.
Most of the time people will have an official cart and just buy a repro box, however, this is NOT the case with this one.
This is a 100% fake cartridge!

FAKE STARWING COMPETITION CART ON EBAY...
(The code position is a clear giveaway)

AUTHENTIC STARWING COMPETITION CART...
(it hard for me to take pics showing because this is slabbed, but an authentic label is 100% glossy and very shiny)

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:44:10 AM
skylersz (89)
(Skyler S) < Lolo Lord >
Other
FYI, Same guy who tried to scam me out of $200, same guy who didn't pay for Death Race HES CIB won on ebay from Stoneleigh106.

Thanks for the heads up Holy-SNES, I knew the box was repro but had to do a double take on the cart.

-------------------------

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:24:44 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
But, Starwing Competition isn't a very expensive Super Famicom game. Maybe $200 at it's best (with the exception of your slabbed copy)

Sucks to see people are faking these.

Any chance you have the Germany variant to compare? The labels aren't 100% identicle. The biggest difference is the UK variant has a light blue border on the left and bottom sides of the logo and the German one doesn't.

I can't use mine to compare since they're part of my NJ collection and I'm in Utah.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:38:48 PM
snesmaster (40)
(Rick Bruns) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Has anyone seen the French version? I heard there was one, but have not come across it yet? It does suck that people are starting to fake these!

Check out my site for Nintendo Maps, Sprites and Posters at: http://www.nesmaps.com...

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:01:32 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: snesmaster

Has anyone seen the French version? I heard there was one, but have not come across it yet? It does suck that people are starting to fake these!

There *should* be a French and Scandanavian version of the game but to my knowledge (and this is my thing!) there has never been one found.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:13:20 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

But, Starwing Competition isn't a very expensive Super Famicom game. Maybe $200 at it's best (with the exception of your slabbed copy)

Sucks to see people are faking these.

Any chance you have the Germany variant to compare? The labels aren't 100% identicle. The biggest difference is the UK variant has a light blue border on the left and bottom sides of the logo and the German one doesn't.

I can't use mine to compare since they're part of my NJ collection and I'm in Utah.

Starwing has gone up heaps since the spike.
$200 I would buy up a ton at that price. Now I think they're geting around the $400-$500 mark.

I don't have the German variant to compare but I remember you mentioning something about the border being different.
I couldn't notice this when I used online pics for comparison though.
I think I'm going to invest in a German cart just for this reason lol.

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:16:27 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria

Originally posted by: snesmaster

There *should* be a French and Scandanavian version of the game but to my knowledge (and this is my thing!) there has never been one found.

I'm not sure Nintendo would have made these carts.
Is this going under the assumption that because the competition was held over there also, that there should be carts with those languages?
I know most Scandenavian SNES titles are in English. French is a different story but I think perhpas they just made the German version at the time due to the sheer number of people with native German tongue.
I don't know though

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:24:52 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Holy-SNES

Is this going under the assumption that because the competition was held over there also, that there should be carts with those languages?
I know most Scandenavian SNES titles are in English. French is a different story but I think perhpas they just made the German version at the time due to the sheer number of people with native German tongue.
I don't know though

Based on the fact that there was a full blown competition in France I would say that there is a high probability of there being a French cart. We didn't get a competition here in America, only the store promotion (I think PowerFest also had stations with the competition cart- I know as a fact that it had the DK Competition there too) so it's fair to say a country with a real competition based on the game probably got a cartridge although it could have been in one of those SNES Test boards like the PowerFest and Campus Challenge carts are in (as well as that one special DK Competition Cart)

Canada also had a competition, although I think it was a sideshow to a much larger competition.

I am completely speculating on the Scandanavian version though and I know even less if there was a competition in Japan.

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:21:19 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria

I don't know though

Based on the fact that there was a full blown competition in France I would say that there is a high probability of there being a French cart. We didn't get a competition here in America, only the store promotion (I think PowerFest also had stations with the competition cart- I know as a fact that it had the DK Competition there too) so it's fair to say a country with a real competition based on the game probably got a cartridge although it could have been in one of those SNES Test boards like the PowerFest and Campus Challenge carts are in (as well as that one special DK Competition Cart)

Canada also had a competition, although I think it was a sideshow to a much larger competition.

I am completely speculating on the Scandanavian version though and I know even less if there was a competition in Japan.

It makes sense but yeah, lack of information anywhere on this still leaves a lot of questions unanswered which sucks, especially for us PAL collectors
Will have to look into that one further.

On another note, I did figure out the main differences between the UK and German carts.
I think you're right about there being a very faint white line underneath the word 'Starwing' on the UK cart.
I have found a German close up and can't see this white line, but it could be the angle of the photo or the flash which makes it still not 100% confirmed.
What I did find though, was that backings are different.

* EVERY UKV (English) Starwing Comp cart should have an English backing with the stamp no. 20 and the code 02-SNSP-UKV

* EVERY EUR (German) Starwing Comp cart should have a German backing with the stamp no. 20 and the code 02-SNSP-NOE

The backing you'd be very hard pressed to replace as it must have the extra compartment for the extended pins on the board, and MUST have the stamp no. 20.
There are only few games that have this extended backing (Yoshi's Island, Stunt Race FX etc.) so trying to find a matching back with the 20 stamp no. might not be possible.
I don't have my standard Starwing cart at hand so I'll have to dig that up and see if it's a matching backing for the comp cart. I'm not sure it would be though.
So yeah, just thought I'd get that out there.

Edited: 04/24/2013 at 10:22 PM by Holy-SNES

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:51:00 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
If I was in NJ I'd confirm this without a shadow of a doubt. But I'm sure you got all the differences listed.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:04:42 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria
Well then hop to it.. Get back to NJ

I'm not sure this white line would have been intentional, I'd be leaning towards more of a slight printing error/logo placement from factory at the time of printing.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:49:43 AM
Retrosondre (0)

(Sondre S) < Cherub >
Norway

I don't know though

I know we had the competition here in Norway but I have no clue wether we had an SCN version or not. 

Any thoughts about this one? I found it on the Norwegian equivalent to Craigslist:
22_1953862245.jpg
22_2028090585.jpg

Edited: 04/27/2013 at 08:50 AM by Retrosondre

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:01:20 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Retrosondre

I don't know though

I know we had the competition here in Norway but I have no clue wether we had an SCN version or not. 

Any thoughts about this one? I found it on the Norwegian equivalent to Craigslist:
22_1953862245.jpg
22_2028090585.jpg

Hard to tell but it looks like your standard version.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:14:57 AM
Retrosondre (0)

(Sondre S) < Cherub >
Norway
I got some more detailed photos from the seller, and it seems to have the stamp no. 20 on the back, aswell as the matching code. He is asking ~£190 - is it worth it?

May 15, 2013 at 8:43:13 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Just checked my cart and it has the right numbers on the back.

It sucks that there are people like that out there faking carts.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:49:05 AM
Mr Fathead (0)

< Cherub >
Victoria
They relisted this and are still trying to pass it off as real. This seller is really dodgy even though they have 100% feedback.