Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS lag and image quality comparisons yup, 4k looks great

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:03:53 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: mrnarse

Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I noticed this TV accepted HDMI plus analog audio. Did it accept audio through the HDMI port? If not that's a problem. Sorry you had to get rid of it. Also did your set work natively with light guns of did it upscale 240p/480i?

It definitely took in audio from HDMI. I had either my cable box or PS3 hooked up to it, and didn't need any other audio hookup. 2 Component, 3 S-Video, Composite, HDMI. This set was perfect for the systems I owned at the time (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Wii, PS3, 360, hacked Xbox). 

If I didn't get a 60" Plasma 3 years ago to hang on the wall, this one might still be sitting next to my crappy old 50" DLP. But the 60" is so big that the CRT was blocking the view of the plasma.

As for light guns, Duck Hunt definitely worked. I had no other CRTs around to compare how well it worked compared to the HD Wega though. Found a more thorough review of the set and there's some info concerning light guns in the comments.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IKR..." width="500">>

Wow, that set is amazing!!!  

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 08/28/2016 at 05:04 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:21:42 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mattbep

Originally posted by: acromite53

When I tried the Avs out in person at the lpg expo, I was disappointed by a noticeable lag that was throwing me off. Kinda bummed me out since the picture quality looked amazing, and I've been following this project since the beginning. It left me feeling deflated. I'm wondering if the tv wasn't set to PC mode and that's why it felt so off. Then again, I've been playing older consoles on crts all my life so would the smallest amount of lag be that much more noticeable to me? Hopefully I'll be able to demo one again.
I hope this project becomes a great success. Best of luck.

Yeah something might have been up with the TV, cause I've heard of world class Tetris players using bunny's wireless controllers with the AVS at a convention and reporting no noticeable lag.
Yeah, Tetris Masters playing the game at 19+ is THE TEST for player perception, in my opinion.

There are tons of shitty TVs out there, though, so real life results are probably going to vary until we build up a comprehensive list of what works best.

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:14:32 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

I used to have a 30" Sony KV-30HS420 Widescreen CRT with HDMI and component inputs. Had to get rid of it with the tiny living space I have, but I regret it til this day. The only downside was it weighed a ton and had a deep deep footprint. Beautiful picture, be it HDMI stuff or S-Video/Component/Composite. Blu-rays and PS3/360 looked great over HDMI too. Same one as in this video:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTS..." width="500">>
I noticed this TV accepted HDMI plus analog audio. Did it accept audio through the HDMI port? If not that's a problem. Sorry you had to get rid of it. Also did your set work natively with light guns of did it upscale 240p/480i?

The analog audio inputs with the HDMI are so you can use an adapted DVI source, like a PC.

Edited: 11/26/2016 at 10:28 PM by Ichinisan

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:17:56 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

It definitely took in audio from HDMI. I had either my cable box or PS3 hooked up to it, and didn't need any other audio hookup. 2 Component, 3 S-Video, Composite, HDMI. This set was perfect for the systems I owned at the time (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Wii, PS3, 360, hacked Xbox). 

If I didn't get a 60" Plasma 3 years ago to hang on the wall, this one might still be sitting next to my crappy old 50" DLP. But the 60" is so big that the CRT was blocking the view of the plasma.

As for light guns, Duck Hunt definitely worked. I had no other CRTs around to compare how well it worked compared to the HD Wega though. Found a more thorough review of the set and there's some info concerning light guns in the comments.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IKR..." width="500">>

With the DRC feature, this TV has an image processor like my 2 Sony TVs with SFP tubes. I don't see how the Zapper could work.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:06:42 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Good thing i can buy a hdmi to component cable and just stick with my trinitron, i want to buy a 4k set but my requirements are low input lag and the set has to be able to process 240p correctly. 

Edited: 08/28/2016 at 11:07 AM by zredgemz

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:55:41 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: zredgemz
Good thing i can buy a hdmi to component cable and just stick with my trinitron,
You're aware that HDMI is a digital signal and component is analog. Do these cables have a built-in converter or something?

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:17:03 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

I used to have a 30" Sony KV-30HS420 Widescreen CRT with HDMI and component inputs. Had to get rid of it with the tiny living space I have, but I regret it til this day. The only downside was it weighed a ton and had a deep deep footprint. Beautiful picture, be it HDMI stuff or S-Video/Component/Composite. Blu-rays and PS3/360 looked great over HDMI too. Same one as in this video:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTS..." width="500">>

The analog audio inputs with the HDMI are so you can use an adapter DVI source, like a PC.

...or a DVD player. Chicken and egg. Almost all of the digital video source devices when this TV launched were DVI, and the adaptability is what made the transition to HDMI happen so fast. Most mainstream consumer HDMI devices for years had alternative ways to get audio out in case you had a DVI set. First major device I recall doing HDMI-only without alternative audio output was the ChromeCast, then we got the 2015 Apple TV and now the upcoming PS4 Neo (assuming the leaked image is correct; I've already seen consumer backlash).

Edited: 08/28/2016 at 05:17 PM by CZroe

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:33:31 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Good thing i can buy a hdmi to component cable and just stick with my trinitron,
You're aware that HDMI is a digital signal and component is analog. Do these cables have a built-in converter or something?

Dunno but if it works for bob from retro RGB on his PVM, i see no reason why it would not work for me. 

A nine buck cable is not much of a gamble.

Edited: 08/28/2016 at 05:34 PM by zredgemz

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:46:38 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

I think the xbr960 is the one I have, has those features, I'll have to check though. I posted in in the finders keepers non gaming thread a while back.

Hang onto it. I got the smaller of the two XBR910s (30") and it still impresses everyone I show it to. One of my friends reminds me every time he sees it that he wants it if I ever get rid of it. My older brother watched a few movies on it when visiting from out of state and was suddenly sold on the idea of building a home theater. He previously eschewed TV and movies with a passion but he went home and spent several thousand dollars on the best 4K TV, BD, and sound hardware he could afford (still thinks the experience on my tiny XBR910 was better  ).

KDS had a reputation for making value monitors but when the Pentium III launched I built a system using their top-end 17" Visual Sensation monitor (detachable VGA, secondary input with BNC connectors, etc). Several years later I was carrying it around to QuakeCon and still getting compliments. I thought everyone was crazy because it was so old but I see now that very few compared. I eventually upgraded to a Dell 2005FPW and a Dell 2007WPF but I kinda wish I still had that monitor around for a compatibility system with 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI connected to the BNC input (still have the cables).

Aug 28, 2016 at 6:15:32 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Dunno but if it works for bob from retro RGB on his PVM, i see no reason why it would not work for me. 

If you're talking about his AVS review, he's using an HDMI to component converter, not a cable.

Edited: 08/28/2016 at 06:16 PM by Tulpa

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:05:11 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: CZroe

Originally posted by: K.Thrower

I think the xbr960 is the one I have, has those features, I'll have to check though. I posted in in the finders keepers non gaming thread a while back.

Hang onto it. I got the smaller of the two XBR910s (30") and it still impresses everyone I show it to. One of my friends reminds me every time he sees it that he wants it if I ever get rid of it. My older brother watched a few movies on it when visiting from out of state and was suddenly sold on the idea of building a home theater. He previously eschewed TV and movies with a passion but he went home and spent several thousand dollars on the best 4K TV, BD, and sound hardware he could afford (still thinks the experience on my tiny XBR910 was better  ).

KDS had a reputation for making value monitors but when the Pentium III launched I built a system using their top-end 17" Visual Sensation monitor (detachable VGA, secondary input with BNC connectors, etc). Several years later I was carrying it around to QuakeCon and still getting compliments. I thought everyone was crazy because it was so old but I see now that very few compared. I eventually upgraded to a Dell 2005FPW and a Dell 2007WPF but I kinda wish I still had that monitor around for a compatibility system with 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI connected to the BNC input (still have the cables).

I still think KDS rebranded a monitor that was made by some other manufacturer. It was aperture grill and looked amazing  

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:20:10 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

If you're talking about his AVS review, he's using an HDMI to component converter, not a cable.

Surely they make them as cables too. Earlier today Ichinisan iMessaged me a pic of a cable that does the reverse (he was looking at at fleamarket wares and the vendor had it with RF modulators and universal game AV cables.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:25:26 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Just found this and i might be able to use this for another application as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product...

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:59:41 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: Polioliolio

I've seen concerns expressed for 1080 and 4k upscaling from the 720p signal because most televisions are said to have blurry/smooth upscalers.. These pics appear to look great though.

Any blurriness in the 4K image that you could tell?

I'll most likely be bypassing any upscaling at all, and just displaying a native 720p center-screen. Being that my display area is ~120", I still get about an 80" picture without any upscaling at all. Sometimes, I even go as far as to play GCN/PS2/DC games in native 480p, which leaves me with a roughly 53" display. Keep in mind, though, with a 4:3 aspect ratio a large portion of the image is letterboxed (which leaves me with about a 36" fullscreen display). My wife thinks I'm insane when I do that, but I just love those razor-sharp pixels. 

Component and VGA put out a decent enough picture that I can upscale any of those consoles to 1080p - even the Genesis looks decent through HD Retrovision's component cables. With a display area that large, however, anything over composite (NES) looks like absolute garbage. That's a big reason why the AVS is so clutch for me in terms of picture quality. It sounds like knee-jerk games that were previously unplayable on my livingroom setup are going to be possible now, as well (thanks Brian). 

I'll be interested to see what the lag is like on my BenQ w1070. The numbers above are quite promising. I accepted some additional latency as a fact of life when I bought a projector, but the w1070 is quite fast for a projector (20-40ms with an average ~30ms). The digital to analog conversion that my AVR is doing on my NES right now makes some games a no go, while others are still quite playable. Passing 720p, it should introduce no more than 1-2ms of latency and, without upscaling, I should be looking at somewhere in the 21-42ms range. That would make me a very happy camper, indeed!

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:22:57 PM
acp (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
First post here; had to set up an account for the scoreboard feature. I'm all ready to go now  .

Very nice to see that upscaling to 4k looks great! Is your 4k tv the Samsung KU6300? If it is, I just ordered this tv (43") yesterday. I saw it was a recommended gaming tv on rtings and was in need of a newer tv, so I decided to pull the trigger. I'm ready to game on it with the AVS!

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:39:04 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Same model, but mine is the 40". Just be sure you find the PC setting  

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:51:19 PM
acp (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
Indeed, will do! Thanks!

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:38:31 PM
Polioliolio (24)
< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
Say, this is off topic, but maybe someone here would be able to answer.

Love the built in 4 score for the AVS. What I'm wondering is, if Japanese games will be able to use it for 4 player games, or will I still have to use the Famicom Expansion port and an adapter?

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:27:49 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Polioliolio

Say, this is off topic, but maybe someone here would be able to answer.

Love the built in 4 score for the AVS. What I'm wondering is, if Japanese games will be able to use it for 4 player games, or will I still have to use the Famicom Expansion port and an adapter?
There is a menu option for the 4-score. USA, Japan, or off. Japan mode lets you use a US Vaus with Arkanoid II.  

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:33:18 PM
Polioliolio (24)
< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
Wow, thanks!

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:36:41 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California

my cool lag testing video! I usually count frames instead of doing a side by side comparison, but its awesome to see stuff like the electron beam moving down the screen.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:49:52 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Found the game mode for composite, looks even worse! It is significantly faster than game mode off but still slower than HDMI.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:48:46 PM
Soma (36)

< El Ripper >
Tennessee
Hey I'm not really sure where to ask this question, but I figured this was the most recent AVS thread. I was driving around thinking about the AVS and the scoreboard feature. This feature has always intrigued me since I heard about it - like how it will work. Anyway to keep this short, I was wondering if the high scores will reflect whether they were achieved legitimately or with the help of the built in game genie codes. I was thinking that there could be a feature to either let people know if genie codes were used, or to not have the hi scores uploaded at all if said codes were used. Hope this makes sense and that I'm not stepping on toes posting this here! In super curious about the AVS

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:14:23 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
The cart is dumped to check for external gg codes and hacks, and the console keeps track of the internal codes entered, so the easy ways of cheating are detected. Can't do anything about other cheats like turbo controllers but I wouldn't want to because I use them  

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:09:32 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

The cart is dumped to check for external gg codes and hacks, and the console keeps track of the internal codes entered, so the easy ways of cheating are detected. Can't do anything about other cheats like turbo controllers but I wouldn't want to because I use them  
For flash based games (Xmas 2013, Solaris for instance) or other RetroUSB or GT-ROM flash homebrew, if we want to submit a high score on scoreboard, I would imagine that normally one would do this immediately following the game over screen. BITD games, the initial screen was merely a throwback to the arcades even if it got purged when the power was cut.

However, with flash based games that save to the ROM, if we flip to menu to submit our scores via scoreboard, we lose the ability to save our score to the cart. Also the ROM technically changes with every high score name entry as well as any variations to LE serial on the title screen. Checksums of ROM dumps would be different even on the same cart dumped on different occasion, invalidating the integrity checks.

So certain pieces of the ROM (score tables, serial numbers) would need to be ignored at verify.

PS - Also turbo controllers are awesome!