Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Final Fight Guy CIB black box What's it worth?

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:15:27 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
those hologram sheets always come off of the claymates box because i see it missing all of the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=25083...

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:16:36 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
Get atta here with all your factual posts Adam, move along before you add credibility to this thread!

-------------------------
Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:20:42 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:22:17 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: nintendopower_4_ever

those hologram sheets always come off of the claymates box because i see it missing all of the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=25083...

I'm not sure if this box had one attached at one point or not. Chances are this box is 100% identical to retail. I used this example only to show the break down in cost of the parts. 

I believe a test run with boxes is made in very low numbers prior to final approval.

BTW don't throw away your warrenty cards as they cost Nintendo 2 cent each.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:24:56 PM
Secksies (48)
(Lewis Inc.) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
The BB seem more familiar with me to be honest. When I saw the orange box the first time I thought it was for Super Famicom!

Save a tree, Eat a Vegetarian

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:28:10 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: Secksies

The BB seem more familiar with me to be honest. When I saw the orange box the first time I thought it was for Super Famicom!

Of course it seems that way to you. You are from Canada !

lol

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:30:01 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: buyatari2

Originally posted by: qixmaster

They obviously did a run of a couple thousand of these (in the very least). Now if Nintendo destroyed them all, who knows, these may have been "for sale" at one of the Nintendo Employee Sales. I'm betting there are more out there - maybe in the marketing closet at capcom

I would lean towards the idea that Blockbuster got exclusive rights to distribute it and NOA said hell yeah, we want a slice of the BB pie since we already released this title and no one is going to buy the same shit minus Cody.

It has a release date of 1994 - i'm not sure if this 100% accurate, but it sounds about right. I'm thinking this was the first true venture of "rental exclusive" between Nintendo and BB - although the end of the NES era Nintendo may have saw the potential and tested the market with late releases to BB AND other rental stores. It obviously worked (to some extent) - seeing as Nintendo worked with Blockbuster in the future when the VB was released - they rented systems, also, Mario Tennis had a "Display Box Only" availible at BB.

Needless to say, Blockbuster ended up with a lot of shit titles/products that Nintendo had a hard time marketing... also, the Expansion Pak for the N64 comes to mind - i remember renting Perfect Dark and they had to include the expansion pack with it (making it a little more to rent).

Oh Blockbuster, how you got what you deserved

Why would it have to be in the thousands?

Sure the ROM board for any game would have to be in the thousands but I'm not so sure the box was. Boxes are cheap to make compared to the rom.  I have seen some boxes made in very limited numbers that were changed prior to production.

This file copy Clayfighters game I have lists the cost of the box at 61 cents and the cost of the cartridge at $18.40

This is the only file copy I have so I am uncertain how different the price for the Clayfighters box would be from other boxes. The cartridge cost  also would differ from game to game but a normal box might be super cheap.

From what we have seen of this title - two sealed and one opened, i can't imagine they were "preproduction" boxes - why would they seal pre-production box?

The price of 61 cents a box is likely the cost Nintendo paid on bulk orders.  I can't even imagine a printer would say "yeah, no problem, new artwork, three boxes, that'd be $1.83".  Printers in 1994 just didn't have a price point that low... even now days they couldn't for the stock they use(d) on those boxes.

Also, I'm betting Nintendo did not source their box manufacturing until the Majesco era. I'm not certain, but Nintendo made so many games back than, I'm sure they did printing in house - so who knows...

Now if there was just 1 OPENED and COMPLETE FF Guy I'd say it's a possibility, but since there are two sealed copies, I'd say this was manufactured in some numbers in one way, shape or form. 

eBay listings here

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:34:21 PM
SNES YOU (8)
([+- -..]) < Eggplant Wizard >
Oregon
Someone finally got back to me from Capcom; they have no information at this time regarding FFG black box.

If this real collectors business, ya'll collectors are unemployed.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:03:36 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Originally posted by: buyatari2

They obviously did a run of a couple thousand of these (in the very least). Now if Nintendo destroyed them all, who knows, these may have been "for sale" at one of the Nintendo Employee Sales. I'm betting there are more out there - maybe in the marketing closet at capcom

I would lean towards the idea that Blockbuster got exclusive rights to distribute it and NOA said hell yeah, we want a slice of the BB pie since we already released this title and no one is going to buy the same shit minus Cody.

It has a release date of 1994 - i'm not sure if this 100% accurate, but it sounds about right. I'm thinking this was the first true venture of "rental exclusive" between Nintendo and BB - although the end of the NES era Nintendo may have saw the potential and tested the market with late releases to BB AND other rental stores. It obviously worked (to some extent) - seeing as Nintendo worked with Blockbuster in the future when the VB was released - they rented systems, also, Mario Tennis had a "Display Box Only" availible at BB.

Needless to say, Blockbuster ended up with a lot of shit titles/products that Nintendo had a hard time marketing... also, the Expansion Pak for the N64 comes to mind - i remember renting Perfect Dark and they had to include the expansion pack with it (making it a little more to rent).

Oh Blockbuster, how you got what you deserved

Why would it have to be in the thousands?

Sure the ROM board for any game would have to be in the thousands but I'm not so sure the box was. Boxes are cheap to make compared to the rom.  I have seen some boxes made in very limited numbers that were changed prior to production.

This file copy Clayfighters game I have lists the cost of the box at 61 cents and the cost of the cartridge at $18.40

This is the only file copy I have so I am uncertain how different the price for the Clayfighters box would be from other boxes. The cartridge cost  also would differ from game to game but a normal box might be super cheap.

From what we have seen of this title - two sealed and one opened, i can't imagine they were "preproduction" boxes - why would they seal pre-production box?

The price of 61 cents a box is likely the cost Nintendo paid on bulk orders.  I can't even imagine a printer would say "yeah, no problem, new artwork, three boxes, that'd be $1.83".  Printers in 1994 just didn't have a price point that low... even now days they couldn't for the stock they use(d) on those boxes.

Also, I'm betting Nintendo did not source their box manufacturing until the Majesco era. I'm not certain, but Nintendo made so many games back than, I'm sure they did printing in house - so who knows...

Now if there was just 1 OPENED and COMPLETE FF Guy I'd say it's a possibility, but since there are two sealed copies, I'd say this was manufactured in some numbers in one way, shape or form. 

The 2 sealed copies came directly from Nintendo. There could have been a case or two made for quality assurance.

I still say that 3 found not does mean thousands were or were not printed. We just don't know.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:38:04 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
fascinating cost spreadsheet adam although I agree that .61 cents is obviously the cost if you are doing a bulk order and not a one-off.       Still even if the cost of doing a few boxes were 50 bucks ea. they might not have cared.

wish we knew more

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 08/17/2011 at 08:43 PM by Bronty

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:42:20 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
cool claymates piece btw adam. wonder what that's worth

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:38:29 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
I'm not ready to call this stadium events situation yet. couple ideas here.

1) It was a Canadian release---- yes only 3 are known so far, but that doesn't mean there aren't more. FFG isn't a very common game to start with and some US SNES games probably had as low as 2000 print runs. Why not would it not be believable that this game maybe saw a 2000 or less print run in Canada, a country with 1/10th the population? With a minimum run, it's possible that many that were sold lost their boxes, as the cart is indistinguishable without the box. Who's to say a lot of the copies on ebay aren't Canadian Black Box versions? Hell the Orange BB box is rare.Maybe the game didn't sell through, and left over copies were destroyed at some point by someone. FFG wasn't a must have game.

2)It was a pre-release version---Nintendo had a small initial run, and was in the process of marketing when they made the blockbuster deal. They scraped the boxes for the run, and repackaged them in the BB orange box of death. A few Marketing copies survived, and have filtered into the market place through former workers, etc.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:34:52 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Originally posted by: Bronty

fascinating cost spreadsheet adam although I agree that .61 cents is obviously the cost if you are doing a bulk order and not a one-off.       Still even if the cost of doing a few boxes were 50 bucks ea. they might not have cared.

wish we knew more

cool claymates piece btw adam. wonder what that's worth

What I meant to say before was that the 61 cents must have been for the box with the 3D cover. A box for another title without the 3D would be less. Sure in this case the prices quoted would be the projected cost per unit when multiple units were purchased but a quick run of a few manuals and boxes even if more expensive is possible. It really isn't possible with a ROM.

Now I don't think it is worth much in terms of dollars because it would be easy to duplicate and no one could tell the difference but I like having it for what it is. 

Easy to duplicate but hard to replace if that makes any sense. 

Except now that I have it in my hands this manual doesn't feel right to me. I'll have to compare it with a retail manual but I believe it is on different stock.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:00:03 PM
jlange (3)
(Do Wah Diddy) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: udisi

2)It was a pre-release version---Nintendo had a small initial run, and was in the process of marketing when they made the blockbuster deal. They scraped the boxes for the run, and repackaged them in the BB orange box of death. A few Marketing copies survived, and have filtered into the market place through former workers, etc.

This is what I thought. Maybe it was just something of a marketing tool. The box is pretty bare with just the name on it. Perhaps it was released to a handful of stores in Canada to see how it would sell. Realized it wouldn't do that great there and struck up a deal with BB so they could still sell their copies. And since BB was going to buy them, they put more effort into the box creating the orange box to attract people to rent it.

Just a theory but it's what I thought of reading this thread.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:34:33 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

I'm not ready to call this stadium events situation yet. couple ideas here.

1) It was a Canadian release---- yes only 3 are known so far, but that doesn't mean there aren't more. FFG isn't a very common game to start with and some US SNES games probably had as low as 2000 print runs. Why not would it not be believable that this game maybe saw a 2000 or less print run in Canada, a country with 1/10th the population? With a minimum run, it's possible that many that were sold lost their boxes, as the cart is indistinguishable without the box. Who's to say a lot of the copies on ebay aren't Canadian Black Box versions? Hell the Orange BB box is rare.Maybe the game didn't sell through, and left over copies were destroyed at some point by someone. FFG wasn't a must have game.

1) ridiculous    for several reasons

2) plausible  

Edited: 08/18/2011 at 12:34 PM by Bronty

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:45:22 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Heh, yeah I don't believe any of the print run speculation. Though of games that "had as low as 2,000 print runs", I often hear EVO and Ogre Battle thrown around in that speculation. But I always just shrug it off as a selling technique with little merit.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:16:26 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
Originally posted by: jlange

This is what I thought. Maybe it was just something of a marketing tool. The box is pretty bare with just the name on it. Perhaps it was released to a handful of stores in Canada to see how it would sell. Realized it wouldn't do that great there and struck up a deal with BB so they could still sell their copies. And since BB was going to buy them, they put more effort into the box creating the orange box to attract people to rent it.

So it was released to a handful of Canadian stores and a total of 1 copy CIB has been located (in the US)?

probably not.

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:53:24 PM
jlange (3)
(Do Wah Diddy) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

So it was released to a handful of Canadian stores and a total of 1 copy CIB has been located (in the US)?

probably not.

Probably not indeed. But you never know. Actually, with only one CIB found in the US, who says that didn't migrate down this way? Either way, I'm thinking this was just some sort of marketing tool pre-production run. Still unique and cool though.

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:39:47 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

Originally posted by: maximus_clean

probably not.

Probably not indeed. But you never know. Actually, with only one CIB found in the US, who says that didn't migrate down this way? Either way, I'm thinking this was just some sort of marketing tool pre-production run. Still unique and cool though.

We don't know but based on 2 of three coming direct from Nintendo and the other in Washington. I'm leaning towards it not being released anywhere.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:04:17 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Just a warning that these boxes are being reproduced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FINAL-FIG...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fig...

However, unlike the Mega Man reproductions, you can immediately notice a key difference. The fake versions have the "Capcom" text in a red box, which is different from the real one pictured above. Just an FYI...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:19:00 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
sigh.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:23:01 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Reported both of them.