Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Swords and Runes Limited Edition Auction! 11 Copies Available to the Highest Bidders!

LOCKED TOPIC

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:46:50 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Please read the full description below! Each member is only allowed ONE bid!

If you have questions, please ask them before bidding. There is likely still time.

“Peoples' bids who did not have a NintendoAge account prior to today will be automatically disqualified. This is to prevent anyone from creating a second account if they get outbid. Sorry for any inconvenience!” ~KHan Games

Sole Goose Productions is happy to present the first publicly available release of our very first game, titled Swords and Runes. It is, to the best of my knowledge, the first homebrew RPG for the NES! It was programmed by nemesys (NA user: user), and it is a blast to play. Warriors, swords, wizards, an epic plot, and plenty of locations to explore await the brave adventurer. In case you might have missed it, more information about the programming side of the game can be found here, including a demo: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess....

Up for auction are eleven copies of the very limited LE release of the game. There are only thirty two copies of the LE edition total (including a proto and an experiment, err second proto), and there will not be any more. This is your one chance to score one if you’re interested, as all other copies will be given to those who assisted with the game in one way or another. If you would like to read more about the production side of the game, and about what we’re up to in general over at Sole Goose Productions, please go to: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess.... Lot’s of neat things are on the verge of happening!

The LE release includes the following:

-Numbered copy of the game (number displayed on the title screen)
-5-screw edition of Swords and Runes (likely the only edition of an SGP game that will use donor materials)
-LE exclusive label, depicting one of the four characters (which will match the box)
-Wooden book box depicting one of the four protagonists, with cloth inlay and SGP ex libris bookplate, individually numbered on the inside cover
-Dyed Cloth map, illustrated by M-Tee
-Manual, exclusive to this edition (since it is larger and I have more room to ramble on about things)
-4x the secret physical rewards (must be earned, money can’t buy everything , see below)

As there are four protagonists in the game, there are four different variations of the box and label. Your bid enters you in for a chance to win one of these, and choice of character will go in descending order from the highest bidder. What that means, then, is that if there is a specific character that you would like to obtain, you need to be one of the top three bidders to guarantee your choice, as there are three of each character available for auction. The same principle goes for choice of number. After the auction ends, and numbers are chosen (#’s 19-29; edited from 18-29, which would have been twelve, since I cannot always count), I will lightly stamp the inside cover of each copy with a punch reflecting your choice.

As has been done in the past, the auction will run for a set amount of time. The end date and time are in the possession of a mod, and will not be extended, though I reserve the right to end the auction at any time, for any reason. I do not plan on doing so, though. Each user is eligible to bid ONCE, and only once. As Mr. Kevin Hanley once put it:

“So as you can see, you need to place a bid that you think is high enough to win. And you can't wait until the last second to see what everyone else has bid, because I could end the auction at any moment before you even place a bid.”

For those unfamiliar with this format, if you are curious about how past auctions like this have panned out, check out these links:

Study Hall: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Larry: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
ET: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Bid wisely, as you only get one shot and you never know when it’ll end. As you can see from some of those examples, I’ve never quite been lucky enough to land a game through one of these types of auctions, so be smarter than me . It shouldn’t be too hard.

No editing of bids. Bids will be re-instated, or reported to the HoS, whichever is more reasonable.

After the completion of the auction, winners have one week in which to pay (via PayPal, unless other arrangements are made), otherwise non-payment will be reported to the HoS. I will then have one week to send out your copy of the game.

As far as shipping goes, I’ll once again borrow from KHan, he is rather eloquent when he wants to be :

The cost of shipping is NOT included in your bid. You must add $20 to your bid when you are sending payment, to pay for shipping. I want this package to arrive to you THE SAME WAY IT LEAVES MY HOUSE. I've put too much time, effort, energy, and money into this to ship this half-assed and it wind up arriving to you damaged. Please understand this. If you live in Canada, please add an additional $10 to your bid on top of the $20 shipping charge. It costs more to ship it to you.

If you live overseas, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I have no problem shipping to you...” but shipping will be at cost.

Regarding the secret physical rewards mentioned above, each copy is eligible for four of them. What are they? Not telling. How do I get them? We hid a secret in the game . Be warned, it is rather hard to find. Ok, it is very hard to find. Only one of the beta testers discovered it, and several of them really ran the game through its paces. Rewards will begin shipping starting in October or November at the latest, but you are free to submit for them whenever you find the secret. Shipping is included in the cost of the item. Rewards are limited to one set per copy of the game, and if the item is sold and the rewards unclaimed, the eligibility for them will transfer to the new owner, so long as the transaction is publicly logged. It is up to both the seller and buyer in this situation to make sure that the transfer is logged. I am not going to settle disputes, so once rewards are claimed, they are claimed; particularly since I have only ordered just enough (and I won’t be ordering more). I can think of a bunch of worst case scenarios (shady seller, dishonest buyer, all sorts of other stuff that we would hope would never happen, etc.), so I guess that statement is going to have to cover my bases. To aid in transfers, there will be a public SGP reward thread, where all such transfers can be logged. Whatever the surprise is, and I’m not saying so don’t ask, it will be consistent across all limited SGP releases, so that thread will contain the necessary info for all SGP game rewards. It will also help a buyer to determine if rewards have been claimed for a copy, and/or if the buyer is including them. In contrast to the LE, the NA edition of Swords and Runes (due out in the next month or so), will only be eligible for one reward option. Feel free to privately speculate what all of this could entail. Further details can be found in the S&R production thread.

Happy bidding, and remember: you only get ONE bid, and the end date and time of the auction are UNKNOWN (to all except my wife and a mod).

~SGP

Quick FAQ:

There are four boxes in the picture, but the title says that there are eleven copies, what's up with that?

There are eleven (11) copies up for auction, three of each character. Only four are shown, since there are only four variations.

Wait a second, four characters at three a piece makes twelve (12)?

Yep. I wanted to make the odds fair for each, so there are twelve choices. However, there are only eleven bidding slots, which means that one choice will be left over. This will revert to the dev team and gift copy pool.

Are there an equal number of each character?

Thirty two copies divided by four means that there should be eight of each. This includes the prototype, though, which is Khan (the red one), so there is automatically one less production copy of Khan. I also played around with one of the boxes, resulting in a second prototype box (the purpose of proto boxes after all), so that has shorted the availability for one other character by one. There are still three of each available for auction however.

The one in the picture has an "I" on its spine, but you said that the numbering (18-29) will be on the inside, correct?

Yes, both are true. The Roman numeral on the spine is for "volume one," which yes, means that we are working on a volume two to the saga. I wanted them to look aestheically pleasing and consistent on your shelf .

This won't be my only chance to play S&R will it!?

Of course not . There will be two more editions, the numbered NA edition (due out in a month or so) and the regular release (some time in the future). The LE is just a chance to be a bit more creative than the other releases allow.

Wait, I have another question!

Ask away!

High Bidders:
1. $700 - Mofasa
2. $530 - NeoZanac
3. $401 - Sukhov
4. $400 - osmodiar
5. $340 - dannyplante
6. $331 - neodolphino
7. $330 - cdbblw
8. $325 - RpgCollector
9. $315 - Skorp
10. $308 - TheBird
11. $307 - 1337bcc1991

----------------Below the threshold------------------

12. $307 - zi
13. $306 - krankcolc
14. $305 - OCDsteeldor
15. $301 - Colorado Rockie
16. $267 - MrWunderful
17. $266 - schmibernd79
18. $265 - Kage Copitz
19. $256 - PhoenixPhyre
20. $255 - Nitrosport
21. $252 - Dsbaum454
22. $251 - Koanex
23. $250 - K3VBOT
24. $201 - Gwyndion
25. $200.18 - ZeldaFan042
26. $200 - DuarteDF
27. $200 - theguy1962
28. $170 - jvoss
29. $150 - mattbep
30. $142 - SpinalTap
31. $140.50 - pseudonym
32. $135 - Megamanfan
33. $133.33 - TheHero
34. $125 stinkerhubbin
35. $120 - Tannokisuits
36. $105 - Ared37
37. $102.50 - Sinnbox
38. $101.96 - barrelsAndRivets
39. $100 - Crazy Climber
40. $80 - facm
41. $65 - Viper0hr
42. $59.99 - Philosoraptor
43. $55.55 - Daria
44. $.10 - tracker465

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 06/27/2015 at 10:15 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:00:59 AM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
OH MAH GAWD

Get ready for this awesomeness!!!

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:34:25 AM
The Hero (426)
(Issa ) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:36:55 AM
K3VBOT (286)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Alright. Got to give this a shot.
Not sure if this will get one, but that red or yellow one is calling my name.

250$

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:39:47 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
$101.96

I fully realize that i have no chance...

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:17:53 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Oh my gosh, can't believe it is here. Been watching and waiting for this. Loving the color variations especially the red. <3
Will put my bid shortly. ;

Absolute stunning work. Just impressive!

Good luck everyone!

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:10:11 AM
Mofasa (261)

(Don Magicwan) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
700$

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:15:57 AM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California
Amazing!

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:03:45 AM
Koanex (7)

(Gerald Diermaier) < Tourian Tourist >
Austria

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:06:46 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Wow, thanks for all of the bids so far! I just wanted to let everyone know that the main post has been updated in a couple of ways. First, if you have questions, feel free to ask them. Second, I added a quick and dirty FAQ at the bottom, but please read the main post carefully as well. I know that it is long, but all of the info is there. Third, the high bid list is now at the bottom of the post.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:35:46 AM
DuarteDF (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Portugal

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:36:18 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
So there is 32 LE's, but only 11 available for bidding? Are the other copies going to be sold at a later date, for the beta testing team/ devs etc. ?

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:39:46 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

I know I won't win, but look at it as a free bump.

Good luck! Looks great!

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:43:53 AM
Crazy Climber (76)
(Brian Gordon) < Little Mac >
United States
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

.....and there will not be any more.

Looks good Goose! You know I'm a fan of book boxes
I know I will not win, but just to show support that I think it is cool I bid $100

Quick question... When you say there will not be any more...does that mean no more L.E.'s or no more anything at all? Just wondering if a larger cart only or regular box edition is in the future (sorry if you mentioned this somewhere already)

Wanted - Super Famicom CIB Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:45:23 AM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
These look sweet Beau! The red one is super sexy....

IMO regardless if there is a beta testing/dev copy, I'm still going to bid here! These are handmade and are awesome!

Only thing I'm mad about is I want all 4! Haha

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:49:30 AM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

So there is 32 LE's, but only 11 available for bidding? Are the other copies going to be sold at a later date, for the beta testing team/ devs etc. ?

Pretty sure most of the rest are going to the beta team.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:56:57 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

This is it, these are the ones that are being sold. I have the two protos and a standard copy for myself, but I won't be selling them at auction or anything like that. The other copies are for the dev team, a couple non-NA friends (despite my attempts to get them to join, and who are probably reading this; join already!), a swapped copy with another developer, Dain for making this great place, and other folks who have helped me out along the way (both production and programming-wise). What they do with their copies is up to them, though none seem the type to be getting rid of them any time soon. Twenty one other copies for gifts and such may sound like a lot, but I'm a pretty thankful guy. Most of the testers went above and beyond what we could have expected, and their feedback helped to make the game much more playable. Fine tweaking, but that can be what makes or breaks a game. The full list of who has what will be included in the rewards thread in order to be as transparent as possible.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:15:59 AM
1337bcc1991 (215)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Mofasa

700$

O_O

Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:25:15 AM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Crazy Climber

Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

.....and there will not be any more.

Looks good Goose! You know I'm a fan of book boxes
I know I will not win, but just to show support that I think it is cool I bid $100

Quick question... When you say there will not be any more...does that mean no more L.E.'s or no more anything at all? Just wondering if a larger cart only or regular box edition is in the future (sorry if you mentioned this somewhere already)

Thanks Brian! and good question. I added a bit to the quick FAQ answering it. There are two more editions planned, the NA edition (limited to a hundred copies), and the other an unlimited general release, both CIB only. The general release will be a bit of an experiment, though, and I'm kind of testing the waters on that one to see if it will work out or not, and whether or not other games will follow the same pattern as S&R. More info after the auction, but if you're really curious I've dropped plenty of clues throughout the various threads and posts .

And now I am going to go learn how to multi-quote in order to not overly bump this thing. I'll still answer any important questions, but for the most part just know that everyone's support means a lot.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:29:52 AM
srh201 (114)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
this is the coolest box yet! looks great

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:21:15 PM
Ared37 (12)
(Jared Smith) < Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
I'm giving it a shot. $105.00.

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:24:07 PM
facm (7)

< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
BID: $80

I need to get into beta testing your future releases if the LEs are going to maintain this level of awesome.

Collection:
Homebrew carts: 28 | Repro Carts:30 | Numbered LEs: 11

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:12:01 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: 1337bcc1991

Originally posted by: Mofasa

700$

O_O

The reality check is real.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:26:41 PM
Tanookisuits (17)

< Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
$120, love the thread you posted about making the LE boxes.

Jun 20, 2015 at 1:40:53 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
$150, which is basically just a bump! These look great!!