Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you consider the NWC as part of a "complete set"? Poll inside

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:55:58 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Do you consider the Nintendo World Championships cart as part of a "complete set"?

I realize this has probably been done to death but I'm just trying to get an idea of how the community feels about this topic in the form of a poll.  And yes, "complete set" is somewhat vague and people will define it however they want, but i'd like to see where people stand.  If you want to interperet "complete set" as "licensed set" you can use that definition too, since it's clearly not an unlicensed game.

Note: the first option in the poll should not be voted on, it's only there to prevent skewing the results in case someone doesn't actually make a selection properly.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:04:45 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Part of the complete Licensed NTSC-USA set, yes. As well as 1991 Campus Challenge. Only room for one complete set in the world!

Edit: After careful consideration and reading my own standards- I actually can not say the 1991 Nintendo Campus Challenge cart is part of my list.

Edited: 01/12/2013 at 07:04 PM by PowerPlayers

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:06:46 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
There can be only one!

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:08:11 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Nope. It's three games with a new title screen put into one.. A variant, sure, but not a unique release.

-------------------------
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:11:35 PM
technicalfoul (26)
(Dylan B-D) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
It wasn't available to the general public, so I don't think I would count it. I think an NTSC Complete Set would include all licensed and unlicensed games that were available for sale to the general public. I count Blockbuster rental exclusives too, I guess because they were still meant to be accessed and played by the public.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:13:28 PM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
No I don't conceder NWC part of a complete NTSC NES set,because it's not a commercially released game.But I do conceder Stadium Events as required to have a complete NTSC NES set which is why I will never have a complete NES set because I will never own Stadium Events.

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:15:47 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
No seal of quality, no product code, not a licensed game! If it counts only because Nintendo made it then all Nintendo prototypes would also count.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:23:01 PM
DreamStar (17)
United States
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

No seal of quality, no product code, not a licensed game! If it counts only because Nintendo made it then all Nintendo prototypes would also count.

x2

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:33:25 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Yeah, pretty much my argument as well.  Still love to own one (not interested in a Gold, a gray would more than do), but I don't consider it part of a complete set.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:37:45 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
One could argue that the NWC was officially distributed by Nintendo (to contestants and contest winners) and those prototypes were not.

Edited: 01/09/2013 at 06:37 PM by pegboy

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:42:18 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: pegboy

One could argue that the NWC was officially distributed by Nintendo (to contestants and contest winners) and those prototypes were not.

Protos were often distributed to magazines for review.  Both given away by Nintendo (as well as third party companies) for free and without the intention to be sold.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:46:17 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Not an official release to the public so anyone can buy it off the shelf.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:49:06 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Prototypes, by their very definition, are not finished products (or at least final PCBs that were "mass produced"), unlike NWC. NWC was also given out to random people and contestants, unlike prototypes which are usually given to people "in the business". They are somewhat similar in the fact that both (most protos) use EPROMs. Either way, I don't believe that NWC belongs in the same category as prototypes.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:49:41 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

How many people were able to buy a new Flintstones 2 or Cheetahmen II off the shelf?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:52:27 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
I say no seeing how there's around 116 of them and there's like THOUSANDS of nes collectors, with more growing each day. This just makes it impossible to have a complete collection for most.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:54:44 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

I say no seeing how there's around 116 of them and there's like THOUSANDS of nes collectors, with more growing each day. This just makes it impossible to have a complete collection for most.
Why should the available supply have any bearing on whether it counts or not?  It's not some intrinsic right that every collector should be able to get a complete set.  If that were the case none of these games would be worth anything.

Edited: 01/09/2013 at 06:55 PM by pegboy

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:55:14 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario

How many people were able to buy a new Flintstones 2 or Cheetahmen II off the shelf?

I'm not sure, they were eventually sold though. NWC was not.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:56:03 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

Both were created and released for commerce, making them commercial.  NWC wasn't released for commerce, it was released as a prize, making it not a commercial release.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:57:35 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
No they weren't, not as a retail release. They were all sold second hand, just like NWC.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:59:37 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

No they weren't, not as a retail release. They were all sold second hand, just like NWC.
I owned a new Dinosaur Peak, would you consider that second hand?

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01:00 PM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts

They were absolutely created for commerce.  If F2 was rental only (and we have no real way of knowing at this point unfortunately) it was certainly AT LEAST made for the rental market.  Rental market is certainly commerce, making it a commercial release.

NWC was created for a contest and as a give away, never intended for commerce.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:09:41 PM
DreamStar (17)
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Not if your the original owner,it does only if you sell to another person.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:11:01 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
It isn't like NWC is some unofficial thing never meant to see the light of day, especially considering the gave them away in a contest. It is a official release, even if the method of release limited it to a very small number of either very skilled or very lucky people. I mean new copies of Stadium Events and Flintstones 2 were limited to only a handful of very lucky people as well.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:11:53 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: DreamStar

Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Not if your the original owner,it does only if you sell to another person.
Exactly, did you originally buy it from a store back in the 1990s?  If not then I would abosutely consider it second hand.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:14:05 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

They were absolutely created for commerce.  If F2 was rental only (and we have no real way of knowing at this point unfortunately) it was certainly AT LEAST made for the rental market.  Rental market is certainly commerce, making it a commercial release.

NWC was created for a contest and as a give away, never intended for commerce.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I do think the NWC is the holy grail of NES, but to count it as a complete set as it wasn't out for retail is just silly. It would be like saying every pirate game would be considered a complete set.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread