83skillz (9)
(Sean Killingbeck) < Crack Trooper >
United States

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 11:03 AM by 83skillz

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:14:40 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Please use auction spotlight for auction postings. NA auctions are for auctions done on NA only.

-------------------------

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:32:13 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Are virtual boy games expensive to reproduce?

I fail to see how a copy on an unreleased game can be labeled as rare. Can't someone just make more whenever they want?

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:05:57 PM
bigmak (52)
(Eric ) < Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
There is only 1 person that is currently making virtual boy carts. Because you can't get the connector anywhere else..it takes a game to donate to make the game. The person has said many times that if he see's one of his repo carts on ebay..he will stop making copies of commercial games. When he saw the above auction..he did just that.

The 'cost' of getting a bound high cart..was just (3) games. You could send in (3) mario tennis games and get a bound high cart.

Someone put this cart on ebay..trying to make a 195 dollar profit..and has just cost the virtual boy community the only way they currently have to make reproduction carts.

Way to go.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:07:55 PM
DreamMary (18)
(J K) < Meka Chicken >
Guam
Exactly, as bigmak has stated.

I never actually paid anything for my cart, and neither did 83skillz, all he is doing is screwing over the community at PlanetVB.com.

By a simple switching of mirror Super Mario Bros. will become Dream Mary!

Edited: 09/09/2012 at 07:35 PM by DreamMary

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:22:12 PM
MyNameIsEarl (76)
(Earl ) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I agree with bigmak and DreamMary. Richard did this to help get this great game in the hands of people that wanted to play it, and now that this happened. No one else that wants this game will be able to get it.

Do good things, good things happen. Do bad things, bad things happen.

Edited: 09/09/2012 at 09:23 PM by MyNameIsEarl

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:32:12 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: bigmak

There is only 1 person that is currently making virtual boy carts. Because you can't get the connector anywhere else..it takes a game to donate to make the game. The person has said many times that if he see's one of his repo carts on ebay..he will stop making copies of commercial games. When he saw the above auction..he did just that.

The 'cost' of getting a bound high cart..was just (3) games. You could send in (3) mario tennis games and get a bound high cart.

Someone put this cart on ebay..trying to make a 195 dollar profit..and has just cost the virtual boy community the only way they currently have to make reproduction carts.

Way to go.

Yes but what do you expect? People are going to do that with repros.

Why would this be so hard to make? I have a ROM of the game, I have cartridges, etc.

The issue is more of, this is going to happen, he doesn't own the rights to it, what are you going to do? 

I mean, on top of that I didn't even KNOW you could get this game as a repro. I've gotten VB protos in the hands of people and I would have loved one of these. How else would I have known about it? Mind reading? 

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Edited: 09/09/2012 at 09:33 PM by DreamTR

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:54:28 PM
RASK1904 (196)
(Roger D.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Great. Now it will be rare. Win. Win????

My ebay   http://shop.ebay.com/rask1904/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562                                                                                                                     ................................My fs thread....
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...    

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:58:33 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Makes it even more lucrative for the guy who makes them then, I mean, someone else can "make" these, I really don't see the foot stomping being an issue if someone sold it.

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:31:25 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
I also didn't know about this game and would have gotten a copy. Ohhh well

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:26:33 AM
Blastyrant (0)

(Henry Ford) < Cherub >
Pennsylvania

The thing you should be aware of is that he was not attempting to many any type of profit off of the game. He was using one of his VB flashkit boards, which he designed, tested, and paid for out of his own money. He was flashing the game to the board free of charge. He was building the reprotuction cart, printing the sticker, applying it, and then shipping out the final product free of charge.

Those of us who got in early were able to trade for just 2 donor carts, later 3. For most people this just ment sending out a few of their extra games and in return they received a bit of VB history.

His only request was that we never tried to sell them on eBay or anything like that. As thanks for not doing that he would continue to allow ANYONE to receive a reproduction cart who was able to send the donors.

Not being able to follow that very simple request is pretty much just throwing shite. It shows that the person who received it simply did not care about the commuinty and the request of the person behind the project. 

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 01:28 AM by Blastyrant

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:04:36 AM
DreamMary (18)
(J K) < Meka Chicken >
Guam
It's also ultra difficult to make VB reproductions, with the original cart.
The custom new boards of MineStorm were brilliant.

Making repros from the existing board is near impossible, because suitable chips for flashing are larger then the case. So you end up with a ugly cart, without a case or with a hole in the case. And they end up being like $65 priced.

Also before this incident, literally anyone could have got Bound High for free. 3 donor carts is less then $18.

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 07:09 AM by DreamMary

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:17:24 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
If it was done once then it can be done again.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:41:29 AM
DreamMary (18)
(J K) < Meka Chicken >
Guam
In 17 years, MineStorm was the only person whom made them.
People had tried before and as I stated the carts were ugly, so unless someone else designs custom boards like MineStorm then we will never see VB reproductions again.

He build the reproductions from the same custom boards he used for the FlashBoy cartridges.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:23:48 AM
thomeboy (85)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
Who was making them? Was it somebody at PlanetVB?

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:37:32 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: DreamMary

In 17 years, MineStorm was the only person whom made them.
People had tried before and as I stated the carts were ugly, so unless someone else designs custom boards like MineStorm then we will never see VB reproductions again.

He build the reproductions from the same custom boards he used for the FlashBoy cartridges.

It is much easier to do now because you can see how it was done the first time.

You may have to make have custom boards made which is expensive but if you have one of these reproductions in hand then you just follow the same recipe. 

If there is money to be made doing it then trust me someone will figure it out. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:46:48 PM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Yea, what a shame. Richard has always been super nice anytime I've talked to him (usually by email) about the flash boy or repro's. I've always tried to give him some money to help offset shipping and all, could never get a paypal address out of him. Although he's said it himself he knew this would happen it was just a matter of time. Unfortunately I hadn't got around to sending in my donors for for a different game yet, and if Faceball is dumped, well fuck there goes the chance of getting that as well.

I hadn't noticed this had happend until doing some reading on PlanetVB today, which I only check every few weeks as it moves slow, and well I'm just extremely dissapointed in the greed of 83skillz.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:34:31 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
This is just so slimy, Hall of Shame worthy in my opinion.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:22:04 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Im curious as to the OP's reason as to why doing this if he knew (Im assuming he did after reading this thread) the consequences of selling the repro. This thread has been up for 10 days and the OP never responded to anything, only to delete the initial post.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:47:39 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Pretty shitty of you man.