Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reproduction labels for SNES cartridges? Looking for a repro label for Breath of Fire II

LOCKED TOPIC

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:31:46 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

That is a bit much to call anyone who wants to fix their cart a scammer. If someone wants to fix their own label more power to them, they probbaly should not ask here how to do it, but there is no reason to be a dick about it. If the person who is replacing the label wants to sell it later and does not disclose it than they are a dick and it will be made known fairly quick and no one will do business with them anyway.

this

-------------------------
https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:33:19 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
lol you can get a BoF II cart at auction for 20-25 all the time. Dont see why the 50 keeps coming up, because since obviously OP you have internet so buy it off ebay and be patient for a steal. Use this one as a place holder. When you get a new one. Sell this one for 15-20. Im pretty sure it would sell to a person who doesnt care pretty quickly

On a side note, you say you take personal pride in your collection. If the no label bothers you and you replace it with a fake one, how will that still not bother you? you will know you have a fake label. Shouldnt that in theory be just as bothersome since you take pride in your collection?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:34:26 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

That is a bit much to call anyone who wants to fix their cart a scammer. If someone wants to fix their own label more power to them, they probbaly should not ask here how to do it, but there is no reason to be a dick about it. If the person who is replacing the label wants to sell it later and does not disclose it than they are a dick and it will be made known fairly quick and no one will do business with them anyway.

Yeah, I don't think that the repair job automatically makes you a scammer.

However, those of us that have been around longer know that collectors lose interest or priorities.  You see people show up and spend, spend, spend, then sell-off later because they are bored or because life threw them a curveball (having a kid, car damages, death in the family, etc.).  People who swore they would never sell out.

So we've heard it before when people buy something and swear they won't sell.  Heck, Tusk sold one or two Contra Force reproduction boxes (that many of us disapproved of) to people that swore they were for their own collection.  He never revealed who those two people were, but sure enough, one of those two boxes wound up on eBay a few weeks later. 

People change their minds all the time, which is why we don't like seeing this in the hobby.  Everyone is honest until life screws up their plans and they need money.  Most people remain honest, but some don't.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 11/17/2011 at 03:35 PM by jonebone

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:42:39 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: jonebone

Yeah, I don't think that the repair job automatically makes you a scammer.

However, those of us that have been around longer know that collectors lose interest or priorities.  You see people show up and spend, spend, spend, then sell-off later because they are bored or because life threw them a curveball (having a kid, car damages, death in the family, etc.).  People who swore they would never sell out.

So we've heard it before when people buy something and swear they won't sell.  Heck, Tusk sold one or two Contra Force reproduction boxes (that many of us disapproved of) to people that swore they were for their own collection.  He never revealed who those two people were, but sure enough, one of those two boxes wound up on eBay a few weeks later. 

People change their minds all the time, which is why we don't like seeing this in the hobby.  Everyone is honest until life screws up their plans and they need money.  Most people remain honest, but some don't.

Response to your secnd paragraph: It sucks that it would end up on ebay like that but the way I see it is you can't try to stop someone from being dishonest like that in order to save the community from some douche.

Basically do your own homework don't rely on others to be honest no matter who they are. If you buy something with a fake label, that sucks pay better attention next time, learn from it and learn what to look for.

As stated before don't tell, chastise me, bitch at me or anyone else for that matter for wanting to fix a label, swap out a back, or whatever its their stuff and their choice so...

MIND YO BUSINESS

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:48:26 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Maybe it would just be easier to have a standar message for a mod to post whenever a thread like this come up such as

"We in the Nintendoage community do not support or approve of the use of reproduction labels/boxes/manuals for the concern that there may be an attempt to sell it as legit at a later date. Any information that you may be seeking on this subject must be found on your own outside these forums"

There ya go problem solved this should be the only response posted by one person in one of these threads and than locked no more of the complaining.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:50:23 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: B.A.

You certainly can do whatever you want with your own property. However when you come to a collector forum asking people to aid you in an practive that devalues their items you are not going to get a positive response.

We all know you are as pure as the driven snow Tanooki, but you know full well not everyone who looks to do this would fully disclose their actions later.

That snark really wasn't needed, but yes I would disclose it, and yes I know others wouldn't.  But I just feel because there are some assholes out there, not everyone else should be punished too.

Leatherrebel said it well there.  Calling someone doing some self repair a scammer is wrong and more power to them if they want to do repairs (which is why I shared that image of BoF2) so there's no reason just to be a dick about it.  If the person does then turn around later and sell it w/out disclosure then that is a problem, they should be exposed and their further sales will be burned for it as deserved.  It's not the communities job to be jerky to someone looking to do self repair.  No reason to chastise, order them to do whatever, or bitch them out of it as it's not your business, it's between the owner and potential supplier of repair materials in all fairness.

I know quite well priorities change and people bail on stuff as I did offloading 250~NES games for a powerpak.  And?  If you're honest good, then tell people who buy you did X repair.  If not, well then it will come back at you eventually anyway and the buyer should be more diligent in their purchasing in seeing items and asking questions.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:59:26 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
So you think it would make more sense to make it as easy as possible, and encourage people to make fake labels or other reproductions. Then scrutinize each sale and catch everyone who would ever try to pass of those easily obtained reproductions as authentic. As opposed to discouraging the process to begin with?

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:00:41 PM
wrk (69)
Tennessee

"We in the Nintendoage community do not support or approve of the use of reproduction labels/boxes/manuals for the concern that there may be an attempt to sell it as legit at a later date. Any information that you may be seeking on this subject must be found on your own outside these forums"

Something like this would be rad.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:10:21 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
BA as about as bad as that sounds with how you worded it yes. I think it should be the game owners right to make any repairs or touch ups to what they own they want to without being screamed at, insulted, dogged or whatever else by someone else not of the same mind set. Though in that, they deserve said abuse once caught pandering off doctored materials, hell depending what it is, should be brought up for fraud charges or better depending on the details of it.

I know discouraging the process up front is helpful, no doubt, but it is of no help to someone looking for a little help with fixing up something with whatever item they're trying to do that. That's kind of why I threw the car parts argument out there. Some people use all authentic, others don't, but in that field you do proper research, ask questions, and get what you want whether it's original or not. I don't see why games have to be on a magic pedestal where the rules are different.

Fact is there's a lot of really picky collectors here, and I get that, so maybe leatherrebel has the right answer. Just ban all these threads and shut it down with that disclaimer, and people can just do it in private messages, instant messengers, or elsewhere off site. This way no one has to argue about what they do with their shit and everyone stays happier for it.

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:14:19 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: Ariesknight31

I don't understand all the controversy over this.  I don't want to have to buy an entirely new game that I already own if I can just reprint a nice label for it.  I'm not reselling it for any amount of money.  I can take a picture of the cartridge for all to see if it's that big of a deal.  There is no label left...just left over sticky junk and pieces of what once was a label sticker.  Without the label for it, it just looks like a scab and I don't want that, as I have pride in my collection and want it to look nice. 

As for the disbelief in cost, Breath of Fire II is most definitely a $45-$50 game up here in Washington.  Any of the collectible stores in the area are selling it for at least that much, if not more.  I'm not here to make controversy over something so little as wanting  to spend a couple of dollars on a label for a game that has none.  I'm regretting posting this already...

Well it's only because collectors don't want a game to get circulated with a remade label. If I where buying a game off ebay or wherever, I don't want to unknowingly buy something that isn't authentic. True, you may say you won't let it get circulated by selling it, and even if you don't, there's still a possibility that you may get strapped for cash and have to sell it, something might happen to you or someone might steal it from you... all those things can cause a game with a non-authentic label to get circulated. These carts outlive us, so we gotta think of the future generation collectors as well. :3 Not saying you're a bad person or something will happen to you, but you have to look at both sides here.

I get constantly PMed by various people asking me to make them a 1:1 label and I have to deny their request. It's all ethics man. Yeah I am a graphic artist, and yeah I can make something exactly the same, but why should I?  I'm also a collector too...

If you need a label made, I can make it, but I have to change it around to make it look different than the original so it's not to be confused and mistaken as one. I could also make one with "repro label" or something of the like on it... just something so that collectors know what they're dealing with in case of accidental or deliberate circulation.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:20:22 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

So you think it would make more sense to make it as easy as possible, and encourage people to make fake labels or other reproductions. Then scrutinize each sale and catch everyone who would ever try to pass of those easily obtained reproductions as authentic. As opposed to discouraging the process to begin with?

No I don't think we should make it as easy as possible and I don't think it should be encouraged I just don't think some one should be burned at the stake for asking a simple question about it. Which is exactly why I proposed the generic message in the post somewhere above. It says in black and white it is not approved of and they shall recieve no help from the open forums, they're on their own.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:22:25 AM
Ariesknight31 (0)
(Alexander Keefe) < Cherub >
Washington

I don't understand all the controversy over this. 

Video games are highly collectable, and as with all collectables, people pay a premium for better condition.  Hence collectors don't like indistinguishable reproductions.

If a game with a bad label bothers you, why would you buy it to begin with?

It was given to me.  I never actually bought this particular copy of the game.  I had a nice copy of it back in High School but, it was lent to someone I had considered a friend in my class near the end of my senior year but, he never showed back up to school so I never got my game back. 

I understand your point on it not being original but, it's not going anywhere either way, whether I have a label on it or not.  I just don't want to have a crappy looking game in my collection.  It's an eyesore.  But, on the same token, if I already have the game, where is the point in buying a whole new copy for $25-50 when I can just find a nice label to put back on the cartridge?

I like how you have this preconceived notion about me before you even know the circumstances.  I want a label for a game with none.  Not a new copy of the game.  I want it for my personal collection, not for re-sale.  There should be no issue about this.    

"As you think, so shall you be..."- Bruce Lee

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:53:38 AM
Ariesknight31 (0)
(Alexander Keefe) < Cherub >
Washington
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

I don't understand all the controversy over this.  I don't want to have to buy an entirely new game that I already own if I can just reprint a nice label for it.  I'm not reselling it for any amount of money.  I can take a picture of the cartridge for all to see if it's that big of a deal.  There is no label left...just left over sticky junk and pieces of what once was a label sticker.  Without the label for it, it just looks like a scab and I don't want that, as I have pride in my collection and want it to look nice. 

As for the disbelief in cost, Breath of Fire II is most definitely a $45-$50 game up here in Washington.  Any of the collectible stores in the area are selling it for at least that much, if not more.  I'm not here to make controversy over something so little as wanting  to spend a couple of dollars on a label for a game that has none.  I'm regretting posting this already...

Well it's only because collectors don't want a game to get circulated with a remade label. If I where buying a game off ebay or wherever, I don't want to unknowingly buy something that isn't authentic. True, you may say you won't let it get circulated by selling it, and even if you don't, there's still a possibility that you may get strapped for cash and have to sell it, something might happen to you or someone might steal it from you... all those things can cause a game with a non-authentic label to get circulated. These carts outlive us, so we gotta think of the future generation collectors as well. :3 Not saying you're a bad person or something will happen to you, but you have to look at both sides here.

I get constantly PMed by various people asking me to make them a 1:1 label and I have to deny their request. It's all ethics man. Yeah I am a graphic artist, and yeah I can make something exactly the same, but why should I?  I'm also a collector too...

If you need a label made, I can make it, but I have to change it around to make it look different than the original so it's not to be confused and mistaken as one. I could also make one with "repro label" or something of the like on it... just something so that collectors know what they're dealing with in case of accidental or deliberate circulation.

See, an answer like this should have been it.  This is constructive and informative.  It's not rude, it's not snarky and it's not talking down to the person asking the question.  I completely understand and I have bought toys with reproduction parts without knowing, and yes, I felt cheated.  But, that's not me.  I know you guys don't know me from anyone else on this forum and, honestly I had no idea it was such a hot-button issue.  I know myself though, and I sure as hell would disclose something like that because I pride myself on being an honest person.  But, as stated before, the game ain't going anywhere. If I could, I'd purchase a label directly from Capcom, supporting the original creators.  But, I don't see that happening and I don't have the money to blow on something I own already, when I could spend it on something I don't already own.  If it were such a problem, then a simple explanation about this website's views on such things would have sufficed.

If I had known previously that I would be insulted like I have been, I would never have posted this or posted on the forums at all.  This is exactly why I hate the internet forum mindset.  All this anonymity makes people think they can act like jackasses and be free of repercussions.  Try acting like that to someone in real life and see how far you get....There have been some great people I've talked to on here, but, there's always that select few who have to take everything you say and do and trash it. 

This may very well be the last time I post anything on here, and I'm pretty close to deleting my account.  I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone, but this is certainly not the way to treat a new comer or someone who is just looking for simple information.  To those folks who were civil and helpful to me, thank you.  To those that were rude to me before, well...I hope you don't act like this in real life because I doubt you'll get very far in the end.   

"As you think, so shall you be..."- Bruce Lee

Edited: 11/18/2011 at 02:56 AM by Ariesknight31

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:24:35 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Tanooki

I know discouraging the process up front is helpful, no doubt, but it is of no help to someone looking for a little help with fixing up something with whatever item they're trying to do that. That's kind of why I threw the car parts argument out there. Some people use all authentic, others don't, but in that field you do proper research, ask questions, and get what you want whether it's original or not. I don't see why games have to be on a magic pedestal where the rules are different.

To me, it's different because it's a smaller purchase. If you are buying a classic car you are spending thousands of dollars in one transaction so obviously you are going to carefully scrutinize your purchase. With a $25 game that could end up in a poorly-photographed lot on eBay down the road that will barely get a second glance from the buyer, there's more room for the buyer to make a mistake.

And Aries, not saying you are going to sell it or that you are dishonest. The way I see it you have two options:

1) Do what jonebone said - if the cart really goes for $50 in your area, sell it quickly for $25-30 and buy one on eBay for the same price. Hell sit on it for a bit and make a modest profit if you think you can pull it off.

2) If you are attached to that cartridge specifically because it was given to you, I understand you wanting to keep it. But in that case the flaws can be interpreted as unique and special - some of my most beloved carts are in terrible condition, but I would not condition-swap for anything even though I have had many opportunities. And I'm pretty much a soulless monster when it comes to condition, I've swapped mint carts out for new ones just because I might not like the way the first one reflects light or something.

Also, I'm not sure the Internet anonymity argument stands when you have people on here putting their real names under their usernames, giving out Paypal and shipping addresses, exchanging phone numbers, posting pictures of their personal lives, and hanging out with other members in real life often in somebody's house.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:44:38 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

Basically do your own homework don't rely on others to be honest no matter who they are. If you buy something with a fake label, that sucks pay better attention next time, learn from it and learn what to look for.

If you are making IDENTICAL labels, how in the hell is anyone supposed to tell that it's a fake?  That's the entire point!  Maybe the laminating is slightly off, or the coloring is slightly off, but you likely wouldn't notice that until the item is in hand... and if you were specifically looking for it.  You shouldn't have to scrutinize every single cart with a microscope and cross your fingers hoping that it's real. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:36:56 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

If you are making IDENTICAL labels, how in the hell is anyone supposed to tell that it's a fake?  That's the entire point!  Maybe the laminating is slightly off, or the coloring is slightly off, but you likely wouldn't notice that until the item is in hand... and if you were specifically looking for it.  You shouldn't have to scrutinize every single cart with a microscope and cross your fingers hoping that it's real. 

Yea what JB said. I cant even believe this can be for discussion, I hate the way this hobby is going. I tell ya one thing if this was Nick Morgan (burnambill)  making this post he would have been crucified from the first post. Anyone agree?

As he was banned for making fake caltron inserts. And of course was only making one for his own collection blah blah blah

Im not saying the thread originator is planning on scamming anyone, but once you make a fake thats another fake out there. Even if you plan to keep it forever (which is always the original intention) Life changes and once it moves on to another collector then comes the scamming it off.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:45:41 AM
wrk (69)
Tennessee
Alexander, you seem like a good dude and I hope you stay around.  NA is really a great community.  It's obvious you're not a scammer and have no ill intentions.  With that said, it's still a hot button topic that strikes a nerve with the majority of the members here.  If you want to make a reproduction label for your game, someone has already posted in this thread that they're capable of helping.  I really don't see the point of this thread continuing.