Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Bad Dudes Contest ends Sunday, 6/30/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:02:45 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  This is it, the last week before the first tournament gets underway and this week should see some fierce competition.  This week's game is gonna be Bad Dudes.  Are you a bad enough dude to compete?  Here are the rules:

• 1 player only
  • Play until Game Over
  • No point racking allowed
  • To get your score, start a new game and immediately take your picture.  Your score will be in the High Score spot.
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Beat 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 6/30/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

NOTE: There will be no contest after this week as I get everything prepared for the first tournament.  Everyone who qualifies for the tournament will receive a PM from me next week asking to confirm their spot in the competition.  More details on the tournament and a list of participants will be revealed next week.

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 03:31 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:06:38 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
So, who's...eh, I'll this do the talking

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:20:03 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Updated the rules to forbid point racking since we are playing until Game Over this week.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:27:47 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Is it okay to take a picture right before game over? You can pause it when you die if you are quick about it. The reason I ask is because I played this earlier today and got a good score. But not knowing the rules yet,I just guessed it'd be game over and took a picture right before game over.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:30:04 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Yeah, that will be fine.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:37:43 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Is it okay to take a picture right before game over? You can pause it when you die if you are quick about it. The reason I ask is because I played this earlier today and got a good score. But not knowing the rules yet,I just guessed it'd be game over and took a picture right before game over.

I was just about to ask the same thing. When you beat the game, you have until the helicopter lands to pause the game and get your score so timing shouldn't be an issue with this one.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:42:17 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

697,900 (Game Completed)

Edited: 06/30/2013 at 09:10 PM by gutsman004

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:38:22 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Why is point racking disallowed? Is if because you could just run out the timer on a profitable level over and over, then beat it on your last life? Seems like we have had contests where that's a legitimate strategy.

So far after playing for about a half-hour I already really like this game. Any NES platformer with ducking and close-range combat is pretty much fun for me, as long as it's done fairly well. Wish I wouldn't have missed out on this contest last time!

edit: better badder score below

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 06/30/2013 at 06:35 PM by Krunch

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:10:30 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Edit: Deleted.

Edited: 06/24/2013 at 07:03 AM by gutsman004

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:13:52 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I was just about to ask the same thing. When you beat the game, you have until the helicopter lands to pause the game and get your score so timing shouldn't be an issue with this one.

If you beat the game, make sure you take your score from the high score board.  The game awards this ridiculous bonus for beating the game that can only be seen by rolling through the credits and starting a new game.  A complete game with no point racking should be in the 600-700k range.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:14:54 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Updated 6/30: 703,400 (Game Completed)

Edited: 06/30/2013 at 10:51 AM by bearcat-doug

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:16:02 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: rdrunner

If you beat the game, make sure you take your score from the high score board.  The game awards this ridiculous bonus for beating the game that can only be seen by rolling through the credits and starting a new game.  A complete game with no point racking should be in the 600-700k range.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea that it gave you a bonus for beating the game!

Edited: 06/24/2013 at 11:17 AM by bearcat-doug

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:02:19 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
holy balls... you beat Bad Dudes..? I'm out. I remember as a kid getting to the third level and that was it for me.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:08:35 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Johnny5alive

holy balls... you beat Bad Dudes..? I'm out. I remember as a kid getting to the third level and that was it for me.

Maybe this time around you'll get farther in the game. Who knows,maybe you'll beat it too?

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:44:55 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I played the arcade version as a kid on an almost daily basis and I was really excited when I got the NES version for Christmas until I actually played it. I'm not sure if it was the system limitations of the NES, a bad job on the port or a combination of the two, but it did not translate well at all. Next to Ghostbusters, this was the worst NES game that I owned back then.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:07:25 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Originally posted by: rdrunner

I never pay much attention to high scores when i play nes games casually. Unless i play duck tales ! But thats money you collect. (please let us play that game in 2013 Bimmy) Pretty funny because i do pay attention to high scores when i play on the atari 2600.If you found that out by casual play your the man Tom.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:10:03 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland

I played the arcade version as a kid on an almost daily basis and I was really excited when I got the NES version for Christmas until I actually played it. I'm not sure if it was the system limitations of the NES, a bad job on the port or a combination of the two, but it did not translate well at all. Next to Ghostbusters, this was the worst NES game that I owned back then.
Yeah me too. i loved the arcade version. I used to play it at this bowling alley all the time.  This one, not so much. my score won't even pale in comparision to the awesome scores posted already.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:09:49 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Yeah me too. i loved the arcade version. I used to play it at this bowling alley all the time.  This one, not so much. my score won't even pale in comparision to the awesome scores posted already.

I'm sure you'll post a good score. I'm hoping I can beat the game the next time I'm able to play it. I used to play this quite a bit at this gas station near my high school. Probably have only played the nes version a couple of times,but it's not like it's a completely different game from the arcade version....like Strider or Bionic Commando.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:41:50 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
updated June 26, 2013 @ 8:30pm
(Game Completed)

Sorry. I couldn't manage to take one photo with a clear shot of both the score and my username.

Edited: 06/26/2013 at 08:32 PM by treismac

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:47:20 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Bad Dudes and Double Dragon were my two biggest arcade port disappointments for the NES. I'd say that on the NES Double Dragon, despite its lack of 2 player co-opt, is a much better game than Bad Dudes. It's sooooo choppy, but, strangely, not as bad as I recall from my childhood, which is probably because the arcade version is all but a distant memory at this point. I should really get the Wii Data East Arcade Collection to play it again.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:21:15 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: treismac

Bad Dudes and Double Dragon were my two biggest arcade port disappointments for the NES. I'd say that on the NES Double Dragon, despite its lack of 2 player co-opt, is a much better game than Bad Dudes. It's sooooo choppy, but, strangely, not as bad as I recall from my childhood, which is probably because the arcade version is all but a distant memory at this point. I should really get the Wii Data East Arcade Collection to play it again.

Or get the latest version of mameui and get the rom for it.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:33:14 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I've got the schedule all set up for the second half of the year, so check out the leaderboard thread and see what's in store after the first tournament ends

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:40:00 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I've got the schedule all set up for the second half of the year, so check out the leaderboard thread and see what's in store after the first tournament ends
That's a solid lineup. There are several games on there that I haven't even played before so it should be interesting!

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:57:58 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Holy balls that's a great lineup! Surprised you didn't put Castlevania on the week of Halloween.
And Mega Man on Thanksgiving week? Expect me to post a ridiculous score for that one.

Jun 25, 2013 at 12:21:32 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Not playing this again. No way Have fun, guys!
I wanted to play Guerrilla War last week but had no time. Barf.

As a side note, if there is anyone who's participated in previous weekly contests and needs an icon, please PM me. I've been a bit busy lately and haven't been able to keep track.