Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you guys think user tags would be too social media-y?

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:32:23 PM
Nirvana (1)
(Kori Winstead) < King Solomon >
Louisiana
Like this:

Except this post would actually tag arch (@arch_8ngel), thereby alerting him to the thread. I know we have already the quote system though, so it's definitely a gray area, and I'd understand if you guys are opposed to the idea.

-------------------------

Edited: 01/30/2017 at 11:32 PM by Nirvana

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:43:25 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
I think this idea has been brought up multiple times...I've always been for a tagging system since there are times when quoting isn't possible, like if the person isn't yet in the conversation.

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:48:51 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Also it could eliminate the crazy quote trains. Or have something where the next message in the quote trains appears in just one quote train, so like if five people are in a train it doesn't show a train of two the another of three then another of four etc, just have one and the next message goes into the first one. If that makes sense..

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:50:33 AM
Nirvana (1)
Louisiana
You mean it's actually garnering support so far? Nice!

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:01:08 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Also it could eliminate the crazy quote trains.

+1 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:06:48 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Also it could eliminate the crazy quote trains. Or have something where the next message in the quote trains appears in just one quote train, so like if five people are in a train it doesn't show a train of two the another of three then another of four etc, just have one and the next message goes into the first one. If that makes sense..

I'm all for eliminating the crazy quote trains. More like quote train wrecks. They just clog up the threads. I try not to do it if it's already a decently sized quote train. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:18:51 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I like quote trains, makes me feel like im a part of something

SW-6786-5095-2210

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:19:30 AM
Nirvana (1)
Louisiana
*adds self to list of quote train haters*

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:19:52 AM
Nirvana (1)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: empire

I like quote trains, makes me feel like im a part of something
We're not a democracy, etc.  

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:10:16 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I've said it before, it is possible to eliminate extensive quote trains automatically. Somethingawful.com forum cuts off at two levels deep. Like when you quote someone, it just doesn't include anything further back than that. If you wanted to add more, manually, you could, but if you are just hitting the quote button, all the extra isn't there. This was coded on a custom modified version of vBulletin (which is not what NA uses). I don't know much more about it and I haven't been there in years. qixmaster might be a good person to ask; I say this because somethingawful also had a mod with the same user name, maybe it is the same person.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:05:45 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I think it could be a good idea. If there is a notification box added separet from my inbox, so that our inbox's dont get cluttered.
Or if we have to be notified there is an option to turn off the notification just like we can with quotes. In which case it wouldnt matter to me cuz I would always have it set to off.

Playas Guide Logo

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:54:16 PM
GreatGadon (3)
(Robert ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
I have yet to master how to quote without getting a train wreck for some topics so I am on board with this idea.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:22:07 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

I've said it before, it is possible to eliminate extensive quote trains automatically. Somethingawful.com forum cuts off at two levels deep. Like when you quote someone, it just doesn't include anything further back than that. If you wanted to add more, manually, you could, but if you are just hitting the quote button, all the extra isn't there. This was coded on a custom modified version of vBulletin (which is not what NA uses). I don't know much more about it and I haven't been there in years. qixmaster might be a good person to ask; I say this because somethingawful also had a mod with the same user name, maybe it is the same person.

To bad you didn't have that @qixmaster to get him in here lol. I would be all for it.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:44:57 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

To bad you didn't have that @qixmaster to get him in here lol. I would be all for it.
I mean, I think I could just

qixmaster
do this and
see if that gets his attention? But again I have no idea if 1) actual connection is there 2) said mod can get helpful and relevant to NintendoAge info from radium (programmer(I think)) 3) NA has resources to make this change 4) sees it as beneficial. 

Hogie you responded to a thread asking about your business very quickly this week. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Is it simply fortunate that xasap knows you and sent a PM, or did you happen to see it while browsing or how did that come about? It's good for you and your users that you were able to chime in right away. Perhaps your use and testimony can make a case for a major benefit this proposed feature could provide for NA members.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:16:10 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

Hogie you responded to a thread asking about your business very quickly this week. http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
Is it simply fortunate that xasap knows you and sent a PM, or did you happen to see it while browsing or how did that come about? It's good for you and your users that you were able to chime in right away. Perhaps your use and testimony can make a case for a major benefit this proposed feature could provide for NA members.

I did get a message from a friend on the boards. While the user was able to message me, they had to go out of there way to either, find a post that I had made, search through his or her messages to find a recent discussion or use the user directory in order to PM me. a quick, "Maybe @hogie1418 can chime in." would have been easier. I mean the current method isn't that difficult but it would be a cool feature to have.

In another thread on this very topic, Dain mentioned that he thought this functionality may already be availble but not active. So he may already be looking into it. 

Here it is:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 02/01/2017 at 11:28 AM by Hogie1418

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:10:27 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"