Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A question with the sales forum and policies.

LOCKED TOPIC

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:19:06 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I posted that I would be interested in selling x-box.net (the domain) or trading it. It was locked, and said it should be relegated to the "garage sales", which I didnt know at the time were a rare event where you could sell anything non-game related.

I went back and read the rules, these are interesting:

"All FS/FO/FT threads must be related in some way to video games (VG). Anything legal that is related to video gaming, on any platform, in any way, shape or form may be listed without asking first. The sale of illegally modded current-gen consoles or exact reproductions of games is not allowed.  Please note that we have a Community Garage Sale periodically that allows you to list non-VG items."

"The sale or purchase of any virtual items (downloadable games, codes, etc) is to be done at your own risk. If something goes wrong with a transaction involving a virtual item please notify a moderator asap. Due to the inability to track these sales there will not be much that can be done to recover any lost $$$."

Having said this... would x-box.net not be considered "video game related in any way shape or form", and would it qualify for a "virtual item"? It is a legal and tangible domain that someone could use. I guess it was decided that a domain is not a virtual item, even if it says "x-box"... but the rules are very fuzzy about this and I didn't think twice when I posted to sell or trade it, because it'd be a great site for an X-Box enthusiast.

The other reason is because I've had people on the forum offer to buy my other domains.

Thanks for reading.

-------------------------
sega-saturn.org - coming soon
a repository for retrospective articles and reviews on the Saturn.

Edited: 07/31/2018 at 07:23 PM by Muta

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:30:55 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Selling a domain name should NEVER be allowed on NA, IMO. Moral concerns aside (you literally JUST bought the domain (I checked the whois entry), which has been sitting totally available to anyone to buy for literally years, for all of $10-15, and are now trying to get some undisclosed amount of profit off of it), you don't OWN the domain name. You are, in essence, merely renting it. The moment you give up access to it, it becomes available to the public. You're not selling goods, nor even a digital code that you can easily transfer ownership of.

You should not be buying domains to sell, certainly not here on NA, and nobody should buy them from you (or anyone else).

Furthermore, literally all of the domains you are referring to are either NOT related to the content you claim them to be (the Xbox brand does not have a dash in it), or they ARE, and are thus liable to be taken away by the owning entities. You technically have no right whatsoever to anything like "sega-saturn.com", as you would a fansite ("sega-fan.com" would be fine). So Sega or Microsoft can come in at any given moment and say "nope!" and take them away from you, and potentially even sue for potential damages. They could do this just as easily to anyone you "sell" the domains to.

Edited: 07/31/2018 at 07:34 PM by Gloves

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:33:54 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Gloves

Selling a domain name should NEVER be allowed on NA, IMO. Moral concerns aside (you literally JUST bought the domain (I checked the whois entry), which has been sitting totally available to anyone to buy for literally years, for all of $10-15, and are now trying to get some undisclosed amount of profit off of it), you don't OWN the domain name. You are, in essence, merely renting it. The moment you give up access to it, it becomes available to the public. You're not selling goods, nor even a digital code that you can easily transfer ownership of.

You should not be buying domains to sell, certainly not here on NA, and nobody should buy them from you (or anyone else).

Very scathing but I respect your opinion.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:35:16 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I made an edit you should read, too, as it pertains to your potential legal liabilities in this regard.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:36:37 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >

Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I made an edit you should read, too, as it pertains to your potential legal liabilities in this regard.

In the same breath you said it was a domain that sat for years and no one wanted.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:40:53 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Let's say a business slips and doesn't re-new their domain... someone scalps it. They can't sue the person for having the domain - you cannot use their content - but you hold the domain. They have to buy it back. I've sold many.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:41:57 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico

Furthermore, literally all of the domains you are referring to are either NOT related to the content you claim them to be (the Xbox brand does not have a dash in it), or they ARE, and are thus liable to be taken away by the owning entities. You technically have no right whatsoever to anything like "sega-saturn.com", as you would a fansite ("sega-fan.com" would be fine). So Sega or Microsoft can come in at any given moment and say "nope!" and take them away from you, and potentially even sue for potential damages. They could do this just as easily to anyone you "sell" the domains to.

People and companies buy and sell domains all the time, there's nothing legally wrong with that afaik, however Microsoft can claim it and whoever has the domain registered will have to hand it over or face them in court.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:44:01 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Its not really up for discussion.

Check the FAQ-

"Any topic may be deleted for any reason seen fit by an admin or moderator. A moderator may optionally send you a private message letting you know that your topic was removed and why; however, this is completely at the discretion of each moderator and may not happen."

The decision was made to not allow you to sell a domain name. If its that important for you to sell, I have confidence you will find a way, outside of this site.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:44:09 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
A domain name is not "intellectual property".