Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Famicom Disk System Motor Basically talking about the motor for the Famicom Disk System since I could find little to nothing on the inside and out

Jun 02 at 11:43:45 PM
RileySkye100 (0)

(Gabriel D.) < Cherub >
Massachusetts
So basically, how this all started for me was that I bought a untested Sharp Twin Famicom console for my friend about two or three years ago and ever since then, it has caused me so much trouble, mainly with the disk drive. I remember getting the drive fixed with some help from my friend Brad. The original drive on the Sharp Twin would not work no matter how Brad tune the adjustment on the motor. So I thought it was better to get a replacement drive. So I obtained a replacement drive that was untested as well. However, Brad managed to get the right tuning along with fixing a Famicom console I had laying around. 

Sharp Twin Repair: 

FDS Repair: 

Now for some strange reason, the drive that was repaired gave my friend errors whenever he inserted a game in. In his defense, he only had the one game on him (Castlevania). Recently, he acquired another disk game and same issue came about. So I figured trying to adjust the motor myself, but each time I did, no good. It would take quite some time to spin at a slow speed and I kept getting errors 21, 22, and even 27 at a few points. Of course, I looked up information on adjusting the motor, but I would not come up with much information other than to adjust it a certain rotation. They also say to use a flathead, but they never specify a certain size for the tool. I also wanted to find any information of the motor itself. The only thing I had to go on was the blue sticker on the top lid of the motor as well as a white rectangular sticker on the side. The blue label led me to these two webpages from Disk System Maniacs (Japanese) which didn't tell me much at all while the label on the side came up with nothing.

http://219.103.130.79/~fantasy/cgi-bin/fdsboard/read.cgi?lis...

http://park19.wakwak.com/~fantasy/cgi-bin/fdsboard/__fdsboar...

So not too long ago, I took apart the dead drive I extracted from the Sharp Twin about a year or so ago and decided to detach the motor itself and study it since I could find no electric or schematic details of it. The lid can be removed and what is revealed is a small, but fragile board and I can't stress the term "fragile" enough as is because the board is really thin and if you try prying it off with a bit of force, you'll most likely break the board in half as I learned. The good news is that the small board can be removed from the motor by desoldering two points on the board. Even then, I advise to be very careful lifting the board as the two points are most likely slightly bent. The other reason I took the dead drive apart and remove the motor was that the motor adjustor piece in my friend's drive broke off, mainly from fiddling around with it so damn much. I also needed the right flathead for the adjustor. I took the piece I needed to Home Depot to find what I need and luckily, I found a thin 1/16" I'm not sure if that is correct since the flathead itself isn't labeled, much to my annoyance. So now, I managed to remove the adjustor piece I need and replace the broken on in the working drive. Unfortunately, the drive does nothing when powered up and it doesn't kick in with a disk inserted. So this is where I'm stumped. I'm pretty much creating this thread in the hope of generating more information on this damn drive and getting it running. So please, contribute as much as you can.

Edited: 06/02/2019 at 11:45 PM by RileySkye100