Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Issues with PowerPak

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:07:54 PM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Since a few weeks I got some issues when I use my PowerPak with my AVS. 
While playing a game the screen is full of flickering black lines. Here are some examples:

When I use my PowerPak on another NES console it works just fine, no flickering line, everything okay as it should be. And when I try other cartridges on my AVS they all look great, no issues with them.

Any ideas or hints what this could be or what could help?

-------------------------
> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:05:17 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Try an alternate power source.

Try cleaning your PowerPak.

Take a flashlight and look inside your AVS at the pin connector to make sure nothing is stuck in there like a hair and make sure no pins are bent.

Update your AVS firmware, if its already updated run the updater again and reinstall the same version.

Edited: 06/28/2017 at 12:06 AM by Mog

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:07:57 AM
leonquest (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama
I'm experiencing something similar with an everdrive, but according to my tests, this started on fw b6 and still present up until b8. I've already reported this to retrouSB customer support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaming since 1987 - Systems owned nowadays:

Xbox360 Consoles: Corona
Xbox Consoles: Xcalibur 1.6

PS3 Consoles: CECH-2511A
PS2 Consoles: V6/SCPH-30001R, V7/SCPH-39001, V9/SCPH-50001
PS1 Consoles: SCPH-7501, SCPH-5501(3), SCPH-9001
Sat Consoles: HST-0001 VA0 
Gen Consoles: Genesis 2 VA3 (3)
Wii Consoles: RVL-CPU-01
N64 Consoles: NUS-CPU-05, NUS-CPU-02
Snes Consoles: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-GPM-01 (2), SNS-CPU-GPM-02, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01
Nes Consoles: AVS NES v2

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:04:31 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Mog

Update your AVS firmware, if its already updated run the updater again and reinstall the same version.

I hope this isn't considered off topic, or if it is that it's not too off topic, but...

What's the reasoning/rationale behind this specific fix?  I get the idea of a bad flash causing some stuff to happen, but some of the issues I've seen this suggested as a fix on were ones that appeared as time went on versus something that was immediately obvious after a flash/update.  Is there something going on with the AVS that could cause the (what I assume to be) non-volatile firmware saves to corrupt, or is this just recommended as a matter of standard troubleshooting (akin to making sure the power cable is plugged into the system, then making sure it's plugged into the wall, etc.)?  I'm not being critical, I'm honestly curious.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:55:15 PM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland

Take a flashlight and look inside your AVS at the pin connector to make sure nothing is stuck in there like a hair and make sure no pins are bent.

Thank you. 
Indeed, there is a single pin which is bent a little bit. When I move the PowerPak around the flickering parts were more or disapeared. With some pation I can get the exact position and it is working nearly free of those flickering lines.  I'm just wondern how this bent pin could happen. 

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:00:12 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: Mog

I hope this isn't considered off topic, or if it is that it's not too off topic, but...

What's the reasoning/rationale behind this specific fix? 

Standard trouble shooting.  I was leaning more twards dirty cart or pin issue than firmware here.

Originally posted by: Seppatoni

Thank you. 
Indeed, there is a single pin which is bent a little bit. When I move the PowerPak around the flickering parts were more or disapeared. With some pation I can get the exact position and it is working nearly free of those flickering lines.  I'm just wondern how this bent pin could happen. 

I would take the AVS apart so you can really get at the pin connector and see if maybe its just popped out of place or actually bent/damaged.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:36:19 PM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland

I would take the AVS apart so you can really get at the pin connector and see if maybe its just popped out of place or actually bent/damaged.

I've tried to take it apart, but it seems that the upper part is stuck in the front and I couldn't get it removed. I don't want to damage the case, so any tips to remove it softly?

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:39:29 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: Seppatoni

I don't want to damage the case, so any tips to remove it softly?

Yeah, try harder not softer.  

The power/reset button is what the hang up is. Try putting the power on so the button is depressed a little. Once you get it free it will pretty much just fall apart.