Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do you consider the NWC as part of a "complete set"? Poll inside

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:16:22 PM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Technically NWC was never meant to go into the hands of anyone but the junk machine. Only after people pushed the issue were they given out. Stadium Events, Flintstones, and Cheetahmen were made to be sold (regardless if it was only to rental stores or never actually got sold on the market til someone found them all).

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:16:53 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Originally posted by: pegboy

No they weren't, not as a retail release. They were all sold second hand, just like NWC.

They were absolutely created for commerce.  If F2 was rental only (and we have no real way of knowing at this point unfortunately) it was certainly AT LEAST made for the rental market.  Rental market is certainly commerce, making it a commercial release.

NWC was created for a contest and as a give away, never intended for commerce.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I do think the NWC is the holy grail of NES, but to count it as a complete set as it wasn't out for retail is just silly. It would be like saying every pirate game would be considered a complete set.
Well pirate games were created illegally and certainly aren't licensed or approved to be made by Nintendo.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:17:04 PM
dantendo (27)
(Judge Dredd) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Of course it is not part of a licensed set... What, are we going to open up licensed sets to include unreleased proto carts as well?!?! Most protos are official from credited companies, and I guarantee they were registered with nintendo for licensing before the software engineers even went to work.. My opinion is that If it could be purchased at retail or rental it is part of the set. (and this rental only crap has got to stop, what proof ANYWHERE is there that flinstones 2 and hagane were rental only, I know it has been discussed many times but it is turning into gospel, hell it has even made it onto wikipedia..)

-------------------------

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:20:46 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: Soera

Technically NWC was never meant to go into the hands of anyone but the junk machine. Only after people pushed the issue were they given out. Stadium Events, Flintstones, and Cheetahmen were made to be sold (regardless if it was only to rental stores or never actually got sold on the market til someone found them all).
Except that's not what actually happened.  They didn't destroy them, they gave them away.  Why should their original intent matter (if that is in fact true)?  Shouldn't it matter what they actually ended up doing?

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:21:00 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Yea, to me, if it wasn't readily available somewhere for purchase, then it's more of a special or novelty item that's part of a complete 100% set, but not a complete licensed set. It would be like saying that every prototype is also part of a licensed set, they were official releases, but not to the public buyers.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:22:00 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Soera

That only applies to the gray carts.  Gold carts were always planned to be given away to the general public.  Still not sold but they were meant to be in hands.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:24:14 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Originally posted by: dantendo

Of course it is not part of a licensed set... What, are we going to open up licensed sets to include unreleased proto carts as well?!?! Most protos are official from credited companies, and I guarantee they were registered with nintendo for licensing before the software engineers even went to work.. My opinion is that If it could be purchased at retail or rental it is part of the set. (and this rental only crap has got to stop, what proof ANYWHERE is there that flinstones 2 and hagane were rental only, I know it has been discussed many times but it is turning into gospel, hell it has even made it onto wikipedia..)
Already answered that, prototypes were never given out to the general public and are (mostly) unfinished products or one of a kind samples.

I don't beleive Hagane was ever rental only BTW, no one has any evidence of that except what wikipedia says.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:24:25 PM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States

Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: MrMark0673

No they weren't, not as a retail release. They were all sold second hand, just like NWC.

They were absolutely created for commerce.  If F2 was rental only (and we have no real way of knowing at this point unfortunately) it was certainly AT LEAST made for the rental market.  Rental market is certainly commerce, making it a commercial release.

NWC was created for a contest and as a give away, never intended for commerce.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I do think the NWC is the holy grail of NES, but to count it as a complete set as it wasn't out for retail is just silly. It would be like saying every pirate game would be considered a complete set.
Well pirate games were created illegally and certainly aren't licensed or approved to be made by Nintendo.

Exactly,I agree with everything you said.

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:17:17 PM
clpvg99 (6)
(Connor P.) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I feel for it to count it should have been commercially released to the general public to purchase. I mean everyone has their own standard of what a complete NES set is, but I don't think it should count

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:37:56 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida

Originally posted by: dantendo

Already answered that, prototypes were never given out to the general public and are (mostly) unfinished products or one of a kind samples.

I don't beleive Hagane was ever rental only BTW, no one has any evidence of that except what wikipedia says.

Oh who the hell believes anything wikipedia says now a days.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:53:52 PM
Cladstation (44)
< Meka Chicken >
Quebec
to me games that where not sold to the general public are not part of a complete set

to me campus challenge and nwc are collectibles not part of the complete set for NES Carts set , but thats just my opinion.

my nwc and campus challenge repros are part of my set as addons just to sweeten my collection

Edited: 01/09/2013 at 08:58 PM by Cladstation

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:01:30 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Originally posted by: Cladstation

to me games that where not sold to the general public are not part of a complete set

THIS 100%

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:01:33 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Well this question all depends on what you collect for! Complete is Complete. That means everything! NWC, pirates, repros, variants, and it is neverending! That's the way we all want it anyhow.

In all seriousness no. Lol

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:26:44 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Made by nintendo, available to public, and Licensed, so yes

Just because its rare and not retail, are not enough reasons for me to sweep it under the rug

All the same think for yourself and collect what you want to collect

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:32:10 PM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
No I don't consider part of a set. They were not sold to the public, but this is just my opinion. You can consider it if you want to.

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:36:35 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I consider it some unknown person's bowling trophy, that lost all true value when it was whored out to the highest bidder.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:44:14 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Dam Scotty, your avatar is so "Freaky", I like it!

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:51:59 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: JD

So available to the public, but not purchasable by the public is your distinction?  We also do not know it was licensed, there's no "Licensed by Nintendo" on the cart  

Originally posted by: GameBoyScotty

I consider it some unknown person's bowling trophy, that lost all true value when it was whored out to the highest bidder.
Value is not the question.  There are many games in anyone's "complete set" that have little to no real value.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:53:14 PM
Metal Wolf Chaos (51)
(Lb1993 ) < El Ripper >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: JD

Just because its rare and not retail, are not enough reasons for me to sweep it under the rug

All the same think for yourself and collect what you want to collect

It was not available to the public. At all. It was available to contestants. Not the general public. Snes competition carts count because they were SOLD in a magazine and blockbusterr after they were through with the competition. These were GIVEN. If money was not exchanged then it is not a commercially released game. Means we would have to count repros

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:57:51 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
NWC is a competition cart. Definitely an important part of NES history, but not part of the standard set of games, more of a subset imo. Badass either way.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:06:45 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

Dam Scotty, your avatar is so "Freaky", I like it!

Spank ya! I made that one in 3DSMax and Poser. 3D....it's my bag.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13:14 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Of course it should count but for many it does not. Nintendo collecting is the exception to the rule. In every other hobby I can think of if you want to say you own them all then you need to own them all.

Those writing these NES lists are more concerned with creating a checklist that can be completed than creating a complete listing of every game ever made.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:13:46 PM
GameBoyScotty (48)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: GameBoyScotty

Value is not the question.  There are many games in anyone's "complete set" that have little to no real value.

I knew you couldn't pass up a oppurtunity to tickle my balloon knot. NWC was a prize given out. The initial value was sentimental or a keepsake, a reminder of the memory for those lucky enough to obtain one. The true value being what it was, a prize or a trophy to X amount of people. It wasn't made to be sold....in any fashion, so there...no. It shouldn't be part of the set. Better?

Some things money can't buy....for everything else there's MasterBunny.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:30:01 PM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: buyatari2

Of course it should count but for many it does not. Nintendo collecting is the exception to the rule. In every other hobby I can think of if you want to say you own them all then you need to own them all.

Those writing these NES lists are more concerned with creating a checklist that can be completed than creating a complete listing of every game ever made.

^ the voice of reason right here. You took the words right out of my mouth. I usually stay it of this discussion because most people disagree and I don't want to get in the way of the angry mob that doesn't want to be told they'll most likely never be able to complete their set. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:30:36 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I don't, can't say I hold it against someone if they do, or whatever, but for me, it wasn't a system pack-in, there's no box, no manual, and it wasn't ever on the shelf when it was new. (rental or no, there were new FS2s distributed, shinkwrapped, new, and they were sold, be it only to rental places, people bought them)

Just my 2 cents, and honestly they probably aren't worth even that.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG