Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NBA JAM XXX repro issue

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:50:17 PM
82atari5200 (0)

(Adrian Robey) < Cherub >
Florida
First attempt at SNES repro's made many an Atari and Nes.  Did a Japanese Castlevania the other day worked flawless.  Tried my hand at something a little more difficult and ran into issues. I'm using a 2a3m donor board and 2 27c801 120ns eproms  Game loads up fine. I can choose teams and then when it's time to play the game it stops and says that something is connected and to only use normal controllers and it locks up but music continues to play.  How board specific are snes games? I know with NES games the memory mapper's have to match.  But I was thinking maybe the amount of sram or maybe there are saved game files on the chip that are causing a problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-------------------------

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:21:12 AM
AlveinHero (0)
(Roko Yuki Hime) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I actually agree with you, dude. I made a remake of NBA JAM Japanese Super Famicom Label. See for yourself.

Edited: 09/27/2012 at 11:22 AM by AlveinHero

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:30:00 AM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
This is awesome. Is there any way I can retain you to make me a copy?

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:46:10 AM
takeshi (13)
(Takeshi C) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
does the japanese version have japanese samples?

currently translating Legend of the River King for Famicom

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:54:19 PM
Taco! (202)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: 82atari5200

Game loads up fine. I can choose teams and then when it's time to play the game it stops and says that something is connected and to only use normal controllers and it locks up but music continues to play.

It's not just you man, I tried XXX about a week and change ago. Did the exact same thing. The game won't let you pass the controller error screen. It works on the powerpak though so if you have to have it that's my suggestion.

Just to clear any doubt I tried this with 2 801s and a tsop and multiple donors of varied SRAM size, all yielded the same issue.

FO/FS Thread : http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Looking to buy and sell arcade / JAMMA game boards? PM me!
I also sell eproms, eeproms, sram, 74LS/HC and other various parts for repros. Message me for details. 
Looking for arcade machine buyers in Florida and surrounding states. Have games, will travel. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 2:10:33 PM
takeshi (13)
Texas
I assume you mean something other than Powerpak..

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:04:18 PM
82atari5200 (0)

Florida
Oh I was thinking about removing the sram all together to see if that had anything to do with it.  Because I was looking at the original board for NBA Jam that doesnt have any sram at all. it's an a10n board.  That's weird. I wonder what could be causing that.  Just removed Sram cart doesn't boot up now.  I'm going to try it with an a10n board which is what the original NBA Jam used. Looking at the proto it doesn't use any sram.

Edited: 09/27/2012 at 07:24 PM by 82atari5200

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:30:47 PM
takeshi (13)
Texas
Did y'all try the rom in bsnes? Just a thought

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50:08 AM
Taco! (202)
< El Ripper >
United States

Oh I was thinking about removing the sram all together to see if that had anything to do with it.  Because I was looking at the original board for NBA Jam that doesnt have any sram at all. it's an a10n board.  That's weird. I wonder what could be causing that.  Just removed Sram cart doesn't boot up now.  I'm going to try it with an a10n board which is what the original NBA Jam used. Looking at the proto it doesn't use any sram.

The 'proto' for XXX is a hoax so it may be a dud all around bro. I didn't try it on a vanilla board. You may want to put the sram back and swap the adapter to a vanilla board, by removing the sram you may of left an open in the circuit and that's why it's not booting at all.

If it does work on a vanilla board let me know, I want to hear some bit swearing.

I also sell eproms, eeproms, sram, 74LS/HC and other various parts for repros. Message me for details. 
Looking for arcade machine buyers in Florida and surrounding states. Have games, will travel. 

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:00:52 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: takeshi

I assume you mean something other than Powerpak..

There's a powerpak for the SNES

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Sep 28, 2012 at 8:22:31 AM
TheShamblingMound (6)

(S Mound) < Tourian Tourist >
Connecticut

Did a Japanese Castlevania the other day worked flawless. 
Repros are great until people start pulling this crap. I hope this game is clearly marked as a repro and has no intention of leaving your posession....Unless of course its a translation of the Japanese version in a US style cart shell, but I dont think either Japanese versions have been translated....

Edited: 09/28/2012 at 08:23 AM by TheShamblingMound

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:44:07 AM
takeshi (13)
Texas
I had no idea theres a powerpak snes, hm

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:46:05 AM
takeshi (13)
Texas
Originally posted by: TheShamblingMound

Did a Japanese Castlevania the other day worked flawless. 
Repros are great until people start pulling this crap. I hope this game is clearly marked as a repro and has no intention of leaving your posession....Unless of course its a translation of the Japanese version in a US style cart shell, but I dont think either Japanese versions have been translated....

Not sure how this is pulling some crap, dude put a japanese castlevania together, what's wrong with that? Also I thought there were only 2 Castlevania games on the SNES, and those both got localized afaik?

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:03:33 PM
82atari5200 (0)

Florida
Repro's are great until somebody else makes them is what you mean.  Not to start a flame thread here but I'm really tired of people who deem themselves protector of the realm and only they are truly good of heart and soul to make and sell repros.  What crap am I pulling?  Sorry I have the ability to make repros as well.  I just happened to want to play the Jap castlevania on my actual snes.  Is that okay with you Lord Shambling Mound or should I expect you to electonically smite me where I sit?  I've had some time to reflect on my snarky remarks and apologize.  I was just trying to get some help on a technical issue I was having.. I thought that's what these boards were all about.  But whether it's here, Atarage, or SegaAge there always seems to be a clique that is allowed to do as they please but if an outsider dares encroach upon their domain they attack.

Edited: 09/28/2012 at 09:16 PM by 82atari5200

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:29:43 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: Taco!

The 'proto' for XXX is a hoax so it may be a dud all around bro.

No, it isn't. You're misinformed.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:59:03 PM
Taco! (202)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

http://kotaku.com/5932227/is-this...

EDIT : There's too many conflicting posts for me to make a judgement on this.The voice actor says he didn't record that stuff but then there are sites saying it was an in-house thing only, I don't know, I still say BS.

Edited: 09/28/2012 at 10:02 PM by Taco!

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:53:45 PM
jjrepro (178)

(R. O.) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I made the nba jam old school edition awhile back, its pretty cool to see other hacks!

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:35:04 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California

Originally posted by: TheRedEye

http://kotaku.com/5932227/is-this-r+rated-version-of-nba-jam...

EDIT : There's too many conflicting posts for me to make a judgement on this.The voice actor says he didn't record that stuff but then there are sites saying it was an in-house thing only, I don't know, I still say BS.

A voice actor's memory is not a primary source of information. This is real code, extracted from media the original developer held on to. It would be easier to explain this if he wasn't afraid of sacrificing his privacy, but it's all real, I know this person very well.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:11:43 PM
jon-theBeard (4)
(Jon McClay) < Little Mac >
United States
Has there been any update on getting the REPRO to work? I'd definitely want to buy one.

Have you guys seen this article: http://www.nintendoplayer.com/pro...

It shows pictures of the actual cart insides if that helps at all...

WTB: Kirby's Dreamland 3 [SNES], TMNT Turtles in Time [SNES], Sailor Moon RPG REPRO [SNES], Battletoads & Double Dragon [SNES]

WTS: 2 Copies of Super Mario RPG with 1.0 chips (plays on Supaboy

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:11:13 PM
82atari5200 (0)

Florida
No.  I moved on to other games.  Didn't have a whole lot of time to investigate.  The only thing left for me to try is using a 1a0n rom board.  The only thing I can think of is that the board I was using had sram on it.  It might have been doing a check and that caused it to fail.  I don't have NBA jam for the snes though.  Which was another idea had.  Try putting the mask rom in a board with sram and see if I got the same error.