Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My first "homebrew" - Now with RE released! (NSFW) - A port to the NES of the Atari "classic" Beat 'em and Eat 'em

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:08:35 AM
ihavethatpma (324)
(Doombutt Jazzmouth) < Bowser >
Washington
This was pretty awesome, good job on your first game!

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:10:36 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Haha! Wow, very well-made for a first homebrew. Great work man!

loaded into onto my Everdrive. Played a few rounds. Anyone else get the endless jizz glitch(?)? lol.  I racked up like 400 points in one round then everything froze in the air when I got to 469.

How did you do it? I know that I still have to fix some stuff, especially stuff regarding extra lives (getting to 69 points). The jizz freezing in the air must have been caused by the "spoogespeed" variable having a value of zero

-------------------------
"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 04:12 AM by Vectrex28

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:51:23 AM
JimJames (154)
(Sir Digby Chicken Caesar) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

loaded into onto my Everdrive. Played a few rounds. Anyone else get the endless jizz glitch(?)? lol.  I racked up like 400 points in one round then everything froze in the air when I got to 469.

How did you do it? I know that I still have to fix some stuff, especially stuff regarding extra lives (getting to 69 points). The jizz freezing in the air must have been caused by the "spoogespeed" variable having a value of zero

That's not a sentence you get to read every day.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:58:31 AM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Really cool you put this together. I'm still working on learning some of the basic concepts.

Edit: How long did it take you to put this together?

Edited: 04/03/2014 at 10:59 AM by leatherrebel5150

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:23:30 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: leatherrebel5150

Really cool you put this together. I'm still working on learning some of the basic concepts.

Edit: How long did it take you to put this together?

I lost the count of how many days this took me But basically, I did a few crappy projects at first until I knew enough 6502 stuff to be able to make this game

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:09:09 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: JKeefe56

Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Originally posted by: Punch

Haha very funny port. You should consider re-skinning it as a kaboom port to add to the NESDev multicart.

I hope not. I'd feel undercutted.

I need to find an emu and see what this ROM is about now.

That looks awesome.  Does it use the arkanoid controller?

This just screams for an Arkanoid....
Nice work

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:51:27 AM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: Benihana

Originally posted by: JKeefe56

Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Originally posted by: Punch

Haha very funny port. You should consider re-skinning it as a kaboom port to add to the NESDev multicart.

I hope not. I'd feel undercutted.

I need to find an emu and see what this ROM is about now.

That looks awesome.  Does it use the arkanoid controller?

This just screams for an Arkanoid....
Nice work

I'm surprised you haven't seen this! Yes it uses an arkanoid controller, he/his dad made one themselves to test it.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:07:45 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia

^Lol!

I couldn't tell ya how I did it, just kinda happened, but looks like it's fixed now!  Nice

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:36:41 PM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
How cool would it be to release this game in a box simular to the atari plastic box with lock!

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:28:44 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Seriously, I hate programming the music. It's one thing I learned to do only recently, and I suck at it. Here's my crappy sound engine with the notes it's supposed to play...

MusicPlay:
LDA musiccounter
CMP #$01
BNE MusicCheck
LDA #$00
STA musicxreg
STA musicyreg
INC musiccounter
MusicCheck:
LDA musiccounter
CMP #$02
BCS .playmus
RTS
.playmus
LDX musicxreg
LDY musicyreg
LDA Music,x
STA musicnote
LDA Music+1,x
STA musicnote2
LDA Music+2,x
STA musiclength
LDA musiccounter
CMP #$03
BEQ Played
INC musiccounter

lda #%01111111 ;Duty 01, Volume 15
sta $4000
lda musicnote ;See the .dbs in Music
sta $4002
lda musicnote2
sta $4003
jmp Played

NoNote:
lda #%00000000 ;I believe this is not used anymore
sta $4000

Played:
INY
STY musicyreg
CPY musiclength
BEQ .nextnote2
RTS
.nextnote2
LDY #$00
STY musicyreg
INC musicxreg
INC musicxreg
INC musicxreg
DEC musiccounter
RTS

Music: ;Lower 3 bits are in BIN so it is easier to program these
.db $CF,%00000011,$0D,$00,%00000000,$01,$01,%00000011,$0D,$00,%00000000,$01,$73,%00000010,$0D,$00
.db %00000000,$01,$53,%00000010,$27,$01,%00000000,$01,$81,%00000000,$FF,$01,%00000000,$01,$66,%00000000
.db $AA,$01,%00000000,$01,$87,%00000000,$77,$01,%00000000,$0A,$DD,%00000000,$53,$01,%00000000,$01

(Those are indeed not the notes of the final game)
Right now, the sound engine only plays Square 1 stuff, and I'll still have to make it play the other channels. I already hate sound programming

Edited: 04/08/2014 at 03:30 PM by Vectrex28

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:37:48 PM
thefox (0)
(Kalle Immonen) < Meka Chicken >
Finland

Seriously, I hate programming the music. It's one thing I learned to do only recently, and I suck at it.
That's why there are several existing music/sfx libraries for NES, such as

MUSE (I made this one): http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/n...
FamiTone2: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopi...

...and also others like DragNSF (I don't think it ever had an official release).

Sound handling is one of those things which can be quite easily separated from the rest of the game code, which is why it's possible to provide libraries to handle it.

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:48:58 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: thefox

Seriously, I hate programming the music. It's one thing I learned to do only recently, and I suck at it.

MUSE (I made this one): http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/libraries/muse/
FamiTone2: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10888

...and also others like DragNSF (I don't think it ever had an official release).

Sound handling is one of those things which can be quite easily separated from the rest of the game code, which is why it's possible to provide libraries to handle it.
MUSE looks like an interesting program and it doesn't seem to be hard to use. I'll check it that weekend and I'll tell you if I have problems!

Edited: 04/09/2014 at 03:49 PM by Vectrex28

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:54:21 PM
Clippit (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Other
This is quite impressive for a first homebrew. Disgusting idea, but really fun gameplay, and a great port overall. I always thought there should be more Atari or classic games ported to the NES.

...speaking of which, did anyone ever made a port of Pong on the NES? I'd love to see that.

"One for the kid, two for the all!"​

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:06:23 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Clippit

...speaking of which, did anyone ever made a port of Pong on the NES? I'd love to see that.

Only about a million people.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:42:58 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

MUSE (I made this one): http://kkfos.aspekt.fi/projects/nes/libraries/muse/
FamiTone2: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10888

I just implemented MUSE into Beat 'em and Eat 'em, and it works like a charm! I can even pull off some DPCM with it! Thanks for that great program!

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:58:28 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia

This is quite impressive for a first homebrew. Disgusting idea, but really fun gameplay, and a great port overall. I always thought there should be more Atari or classic games ported to the NES.

There's actually an official version for NES on the game Super Spy Hunter!

I'd love to see Yar's Revenge, but iirc someone had already ported that too.  I don't remember a playable ROM released for it though.

Back on topic, woohoo DPCM!

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17:29 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

I'd love to see Yar's Revenge, but iirc someone had already ported that too.  I don't remember a playable ROM released for it though.

Sorry to disappoint you, but apparently, I spoke too soon. The game works fine on FCEUX, but there is an annoying glitch on it whenever I try to play it on NEStopia (Mac version) - The two whores move a few pixels right from time to time, and it only does so when MUSE is playing music. Oh well, I'm just plain sick of music programming so I might as well make this the final version, with the lack of music contributing to the Atari feel. That and the fact that I want to move on to another project... The sound engine is ready, but this stupid glitch is way too annoying (even though it only glitches that way on a mac... Not sure about other emulators (except FCEUX where it works fine) or real hardware.
I updated the first post with the version I'd call V. 1.0., and I might update it when I'll have the courage to program some music into it.
Also included beatem_musicproto, which is a prototype with music (A nice version of the Cheetahmen theme that was included with MUSE... With DPCM ) if you want to see it with music. Keep in mind that I'm not sure this will work on all formats (Without the moving whore glitch)

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:29:21 PM
thefox (0)
Finland
Keep in mind that I'm not sure this will work on all formats (Without the moving whore glitch)
I can tell you what the glitch is about. On the real NTSC NES, controller reads can get corrupted when DPCM samples are playing. To get around this, you need to read the controller multiple times and to compare the results to find out whether some of them got corrupted. You should be fairly safe if you read them until you get two successive reads that match.

Nestopia emulates this behavior, FCEUX does not.

EDIT: And by the way, I think sound effects would be a nice touch in the game.

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Edited: 04/11/2014 at 03:30 PM by thefox

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:48:00 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Keep in mind that I'm not sure this will work on all formats (Without the moving whore glitch)
I can tell you what the glitch is about. On the real NTSC NES, controller reads can get corrupted when DPCM samples are playing. To get around this, you need to read the controller multiple times and to compare the results to find out whether some of them got corrupted. You should be fairly safe if you read them until you get two successive reads that match.

About the sound effects : The first download has them (beatem.nes), the second does not... YET

About the glitch: How do you this double controller read thing? Do you have an example so I can try it out? (I never dealt with DPCM before, and I only had to read the controller once )

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:52:01 PM
thefox (0)
Finland

About the sound effects : The first download has them (beatem.nes), the second does not... YET

About the glitch: How do you this double controller read thing? Do you have an example so I can try it out? (I never dealt with DPCM before, and I only had to read the controller once )
Check out this post http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=89796#p89796 (find others from search) for some tips.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:12:14 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Check out this post http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=89796#p89796 (find others from search) for some tips.

LOL! I figured it out! DPCM-glitch gremlin be gone!
I never knew about a DPCM-related controller read glitch... The things you learn! Oh, and back to more music programming T_T

Edited: 04/11/2014 at 04:13 PM by Vectrex28

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:27:51 PM
Clippit (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Other
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Any idea where can I find a good version? I couldn't find any.

Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Originally posted by: Clippit

I've played the crap out of Super Spy Hunter! It's amongst my favourite NES games... and yeah, I've played its Pong minigame... it's extremely hard, if not unbeatable. I wonder if the game could be hacked in order to turn its Pong minigame into a stand-alone game...

"One for the kid, two for the all!"​

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:00:31 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Any idea where can I find a good version? I couldn't find any.

Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Originally posted by: Clippit

I've played the crap out of Super Spy Hunter! It's amongst my favourite NES games... and yeah, I've played its Pong minigame... it's extremely hard, if not unbeatable. I wonder if the game could be hacked in order to turn its Pong minigame into a stand-alone game...

I believe Sly Dog Studios made a pretty good 1K pong game!

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:00:32 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Update

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:14:08 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
So put it on a cart and take my damn money!