Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gamevaluenow's Collection Tracker is ready for Beta testing! GVN is alive!!!!!

May 22, 2017 at 5:46:58 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Silverspoon

Are you gonna work in a way to price variants, or maybe accessories and systems in the future? If not, we would all understand because of the difficulty...

It works on the same logic as the main site, so the database has some variants, such as NFR etc.. It really depends on how significant the variation is; if there is a specific variant that you'd like to see, you can always make a suggestion and it'll be considered.  

As for systems and accessories, I don't personally see them in the cards, unless at a basic level. There are so many variations on each console "CIB", such as Action Sets for the NES, etc.. It's a consideration for sure though.

-------------------------

Edited: 05/22/2017 at 05:49 PM by Gloves

May 23, 2017 at 12:48:58 PM
gravity (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Indiana
out of curiosity, is there a way to let someone know a game i have isnt there?

Like, I have the call od duty legacy box set for ps2, but GVN doesn't recognize that as a thing, whereas other collection tracking sites do.

Just wondering if there was a way to get the incorporated. A collection tracking site that specializes in valuing my collection isn't much good to me if it doesn't have pieces of my collection available for tracking and value.

May 23, 2017 at 12:55:50 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: gravity

Like, I have the call od duty legacy box set for ps2, but GVN doesn't recognize that as a thing, whereas other collection tracking sites do.

Just wondering if there was a way to get the incorporated. A collection tracking site that specializes in valuing my collection isn't much good to me if it doesn't have pieces of my collection available for tracking and value.

The quickest way would be to use the Contact Us form on the site, here: http://gamevaluenow.com/contact...

This sends an email straight to Hogie, who is sitting at his computer staring at the screen anxiously awaiting your suggestions.  

May 23, 2017 at 1:10:54 PM
gravity (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Gloves

The quickest way would be to use the Contact Us form on the site, here: http://gamevaluenow.com/contact

This sends an email straight to Hogie, who is sitting at his computer staring at the screen anxiously awaiting your suggestions.  

thanks! 

Although the question i posed is a good one and i'm glad it's answered; I can kind of shake my head at myself. Indeed all the games i own are there, i just didn't enter their titles correctly.

In case anyone is silly like me; use one of these ( : ) for anything that might be considered a subtitle. example: if i type "star trek encounters" as it appears on the cover art, nothing. If I type "star trek: encounters" BOOM, there it is. just in case anyone else starts thinking like I did that all these games wern't there. hah.

so yea. sites awesome, just user error on my part led to me thinking games were missing. I actually like this site better than the other collection trackers i've used over the years. 

Edited: 05/23/2017 at 01:11 PM by gravity

May 23, 2017 at 1:40:24 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California

thanks! 

Although the question i posed is a good one and i'm glad it's answered; I can kind of shake my head at myself. Indeed all the games i own are there, i just didn't enter their titles correctly.

In case anyone is silly like me; use one of these ( : ) for anything that might be considered a subtitle. example: if i type "star trek encounters" as it appears on the cover art, nothing. If I type "star trek: encounters" BOOM, there it is. just in case anyone else starts thinking like I did that all these games wern't there. hah.

so yea. sites awesome, just user error on my part led to me thinking games were missing. I actually like this site better than the other collection trackers i've used over the years. 

Thanks Gravity! To be honest, I'm glad you brought up the issue with the search. It shouldn't be that specific in requiring the colon. I'll add that to my list of things to optimize. 

As gloves already mentioned, If a game cannot be found, you can either write me directly or use the "Add game manually" feature. While adding the game you can "Suggest that Gamevaluenow Track this game". What this does is tell us that we are missing a game so that we can then add it to GVN and start tracking its value. It really helps us out too as it streamlines the process, especially if an image is included. 

Edited: 05/23/2017 at 01:41 PM by Hogie1418

May 23, 2017 at 2:04:32 PM
gravity (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Indiana
well i'm glad I could help out then! 

And I like the site even more now, what with the "set completion" percentage and all. I absolutely love that feature. 

GVN thus far seems like the best thing I personally have used for tracking and valuing my collection. 

May 23, 2017 at 2:50:21 PM
Archon 1981 (20)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Would love to test! <3

Listen on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/collectors...
Listen on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
Find me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/archon1...

May 23, 2017 at 3:04:43 PM
Pancho (29)
< Little Mac >
Chile
Fantastic App!!, i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i started to log my collection and when i tried with Double Dragon from NES it doesn't appear on the database...

May 23, 2017 at 4:31:51 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
Hogie, what if you added the capability of entering a barcode as a way of searching for a title, basically ending the need of the eBay app that scans barcodes for quicker responses?

May 23, 2017 at 4:35:02 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I started using this service, but I didn't realize that if you uploaded just a list of titles, it wouldn't check the "C". I guess that's obvious now. Anyway, to comments-- please add a feature to filter and then "Apply to All" the filter selection, or offer the ability to delete all games for a specific system and reload them. Clicking though hundreds of games is tedious.

Thanks and excellent site. I'm not complaining but I am letting you know, that would be a MUCH appreciated feature.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

May 23, 2017 at 4:36:41 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < King Solomon >
Nebraska
I transferred everything I had in the NA collection tool over to the Collection Tracker without a hitch. It was beautiful!

May 23, 2017 at 5:24:19 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Pancho

Fantastic App!!, i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i started to log my collection and when i tried with Double Dragon from NES it doesn't appear on the database...
That is strange. I just went and tried to add it to my own collection and I was able to find it by searching for "Double Dragon". Try again for me, set the console filter to "Nintendo NES", go to "Default Options" and set "Hide Games I already own" to "No" and if you still cannot find it, send me a PM and we will get to the bottom of it. :-)

Originally posted by: Silverspoon

Hogie, what if you added the capability of entering a barcode as a way of searching for a title, basically ending the need of the eBay app that scans barcodes for quicker responses?
A barcode scanner is definitely something that will be implemented on the site. It is on the list of todo's.

Originally posted by: rlh

I started using this service, but I didn't realize that if you uploaded just a list of titles, it wouldn't check the "C". I guess that's obvious now. Anyway, to comments-- please add a feature to filter and then "Apply to All" the filter selection, or offer the ability to delete all games for a specific system and reload them. Clicking though hundreds of games is tedious.

Thanks and excellent site. I'm not complaining but I am letting you know, that would be a MUCH appreciated feature.
You can currently delete an entire collection by going to the Account Settings page. A bulk delete feature was something I was working on but ultimately decided against. Perhaps I should re-evaluate that feature as you are not the only user to request it. I appreciate the feedback!

May 23, 2017 at 7:02:47 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Hey Hogie this is OT but love the new currency converter on Gamevaluenow. That helps us international guys a ton

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

May 23, 2017 at 8:56:48 PM
Fiyaball (0)
< Little Mac >
Iowa
I hope you add some of the more "desirable" pal/jp exclusives to the list. I want to see how much Terranigma has increased over the past few years, if only so I feel good for paying $140 for it  

May 24, 2017 at 6:12:11 AM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Krunch

Hey Hogie this is OT but love the new currency converter on Gamevaluenow. That helps us international guys a ton
I'm glad it's getting put to good use!

Originally posted by: Fiyaball

I hope you add some of the more "desirable" pal/jp exclusives to the list. I want to see how much Terranigma has increased over the past few years, if only so I feel good for paying $140 for it  

I don't see why that couldn't happen. We have alot more features planned for the site and a more extensive PAL/JP list is not out of the question. For new consoles and lists, as long as there is enough sales data to pull in, then we can get them tracked. :-)

Edited: 05/24/2017 at 06:13 AM by Hogie1418

May 24, 2017 at 9:21:21 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Hey Hogie,

Great tool, I just setup an account and it's really awesome!

One thing, I was wondering why some of the values looked really low on the Turbografx 16 / CD stuff and it looks like the tracker uses the CIC (Complete in case) values when you click cart + instruction + box. Should probably change that to use the CIB values instead of CIC. Makes quite a big difference value wise for the TG-16 stuff especially.

Also for Neo-Geo AES is there any plan to add the Japanese games to the list?  Especially the Japanese only exlusives like Sonic Wings 3, Shock Troopers 2, Blazing Star, Pulstar, etc?

Edited: 05/24/2017 at 09:23 PM by pegboy

May 25, 2017 at 8:35:43 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
To everyone whose asking for Hogie to add this and that game, keep in mind that you can add your own games and include values. Hogie can always query user-added games and add items that he sees that he's missed. I think it's fine to request additions if large holes are missing but I'm going to guess he has a process in place to find and add new games to his tracked inventory. My guess that this system helps him find such games.

With that said, Hogie, I have another suggestion that I think most people would appreciate. I know that this could take a bit of additional work, so feel free to discard it, but I think it would be beneficial to many of us.

Anyway, I'm about to add some games that are prototype cartridges. It would be nice if there was a flag for "prototype" games. That way we can search for a game, specify it's a prototype and then provide our own value. We can already provide our own value for games when we manually add them, but if we specify the game as a prototype, you could summarize an "Estimate Value" of all games/items where we specifically provided an estimated price. I say this because though I'm not looking to sell any of my prototypes at the moment, I do have a "sell it if it's ever worth this" price (usually 2x whatever I paid.) I'd like to see that number, but not reflected in the total, actual value of my collection.

Again, I know that this could be a bit of additional work, but I think it could be a really cool feature that would allow those of us collecting our prototypes to track our value.

May 25, 2017 at 9:05:15 AM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

To everyone whose asking for Hogie to add this and that game, keep in mind that you can add your own games and include values. Hogie can always query user-added games and add items that he sees that he's missed. I think it's fine to request additions if large holes are missing but I'm going to guess he has a process in place to find and add new games to his tracked inventory. My guess that this system helps him find such games.

With that said, Hogie, I have another suggestion that I think most people would appreciate. I know that this could take a bit of additional work, so feel free to discard it, but I think it would be beneficial to many of us.

Anyway, I'm about to add some games that are prototype cartridges. It would be nice if there was a flag for "prototype" games. That way we can search for a game, specify it's a prototype and then provide our own value. We can already provide our own value for games when we manually add them, but if we specify the game as a prototype, you could summarize an "Estimate Value" of all games/items where we specifically provided an estimated price. I say this because though I'm not looking to sell any of my prototypes at the moment, I do have a "sell it if it's ever worth this" price (usually 2x whatever I paid.) I'd like to see that number, but not reflected in the total, actual value of my collection.

Again, I know that this could be a bit of additional work, but I think it could be a really cool feature that would allow those of us collecting our prototypes to track our value.

Why not just add a note to the prototypes, saying "I bought this for this much, and would sell it for this much"?

May 25, 2017 at 10:00:11 AM
huskyunit (2)
(PattheNESDrunk ) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
I don't have any helpful feedback. Just wanted to say I love the collection tool, very simple. I am going to start entering more of my collection this weekend. Thanks to Hogie and to everyone who helped make it awesome.

May 25, 2017 at 12:26:04 PM
MrFaust (27)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I hope we can add hacks and home-brew games and the price we paid for said games.

We can't game here, it's Donkey Kong Country.

May 25, 2017 at 12:44:00 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: MrFaust

I hope we can add hacks and home-brew games and the price we paid for said games.

You can do that! Add a game manually to your collection and you can add whatever info you need.  

May 25, 2017 at 12:55:20 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: pegboy

Hey Hogie,

Great tool, I just setup an account and it's really awesome!

One thing, I was wondering why some of the values looked really low on the Turbografx 16 / CD stuff and it looks like the tracker uses the CIC (Complete in case) values when you click cart + instruction + box. Should probably change that to use the CIB values instead of CIC. Makes quite a big difference value wise for the TG-16 stuff especially.

Also for Neo-Geo AES is there any plan to add the Japanese games to the list?  Especially the Japanese only exlusives like Sonic Wings 3, Shock Troopers 2, Blazing Star, Pulstar, etc?

Thanks Pegboy, it is pulling in the CIC price where it should be the CIB. I'll get that switched up. 

I would have no problem tracking Japanese games. Just simply haven't found the time to gather a list of them at this point. Starting with exclusives would probably be best though. The best way to get these added is to use the "Add a Game Manually" feature. While getting the game info added you would then want to click the switch for "Suggest Gamevaluenow Track This Game". This will streamline the process for getting games added to GVN so that its value can begin to be tracked.

May 25, 2017 at 1:05:37 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California

You nailed it. Having all games that are missing in one place makes things much easier. Plus, the plan is to make it so that I can link said game in your collection to the newly created inventory item at GVN so that your game then gets daily price updates. 

The feature you are describing in regards to the prototype is actually already on the todo list actually. If I am following correctly, you basically want a way to track your prototypes separately from your main collection, while still being in your collection. In the meantime, to label the game as a prototype, try using the "Variant Label" in the edit screen. If I didn't follow your thoughts well, go ahead and shoot me a PM :-).

Originally posted by: huskyunit

I don't have any helpful feedback. Just wanted to say I love the collection tool, very simple. I am going to start entering more of my collection this weekend. Thanks to Hogie and to everyone who helped make it awesome.
Thanks man!

Edited: 05/25/2017 at 01:16 PM by Hogie1418

May 25, 2017 at 1:29:41 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
I tried it yesterday and it's really impressive, thanks Hogie!

Have some observations:

Manually adding a game is really fast and intuitive, couple of clicks I think and you're done, but I added a few by mistake and to remove them I had to go to the collection click on the item, click edit, and hit the delete button, then hit the confirmation, I wish the manual add functionality was instead a manual add/remove.

The import collection from xls/csv/etc functionality, tried exporting my NES collection from NA and import in GVN but had a couple of problems:
-My collection is cart only so the export didn't contain the instructions quantity nor the box quantity and the import was expecting them (it auto filled all the fields since I selected NA import), had to empty those fields so the importer would work.
-The importer failed to recognize about maybe 10% of the games in the case of NES and performed worse with my Neo Geo MVS collection (I have the Japanese title in parenthesis besides the English title, so I ran a regexp replace to help it a bit, replaced \(.*\) for empty string). At the end is nice you can download a .csv to see which titles failed, but I wish there was some fuzzy string matching because most titles were failing because small details like having "The" at the beginning or a non-alphabetical character like ":" or ",", it would be awesome there was a screen that showed all the titles that failed along with fuzzy search results so the user can confirm the matches.

May 26, 2017 at 3:22:30 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
@Hogie, your last comment regarding my suggestions was spot on.

A million thanks for keeping us proto-collectors in your considerations. I can wait and I certainly have no complaints.

Your service is awesome and well appreciated. Thank you, thank you!