Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Elite Issues With AVS in PAL Mode? Anyone else having issues with Elite on their AVS running in PAL mode?

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:40:39 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Before the AVS actually shipped out, I picked up a PAL-A copy of Elite specifically so I'd be able to own a copy and play it in my living room.  Not having any other way to test my NTSC TV's PAL compatibility, I hooked up my Retron 5, forced it to PAL mode and ran my copy of Elite on it.  It worked beautifully, the brief popup on my TV reported it working at 720p/50hz without issue, so I figured everything was good to go.  When the AVS came in...I forgot to pull Elite back out and play it (I got it CIB and it was up on a shelf in the closet to be well out of reach of my toddler and was forgotten).  I specifically remember forcing the AVS to switch into PAL mode when I got it (which was just as successful as the Retron 5 was), but not booting up Elite.

Last week, I ran across the cart while looking for something in the closet and decided to fire it up.  The first time, I forgot to change the AVS into PAL mode and ended up with the top of the screen shifted down about 1/3 and that lower 1/3 missing, typical of what I've heard of playing Elite on an NTSC system.  I rebooted the system, switched to PAL mode, then booted the game up again.  Almost immediately (and constantly throughout my attempt at playing it), all the visible graphics on the screen would "shake" up and down every second or two, as if somebody was holding the TV and shaking it up and down while I was trying to play (although obviously not).  Thinking this was a fluke, I turned the AVS off, re-cleaned the game (which had been cleaned when I got it and put it up), powered the system up without the cart, rechecked PAL mode, powered it off, inserted Elite, got the AVS menu fine, started the game and...everything still looks like it's having an earthquake.

I've only updated my system once, from the original 1.00 software (or whatever it shipped with) to the only official update, 1.10 (I believe).  So far, I've not tried any of the various betas.  As the update notes for the beta specifically show other games' issues being addressed, I figured I would hold off until I'd asked around as to whether anyone else has had this issue.  I can (and likely will) try the beta firmwares, but where they don't list Elite as something that's trying to be fixed, I don't hold out hope that they'll provide a solution.  Thanks in advance for any heads up anybody can provide on this.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:54:22 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Reupdate your console with whatever firmware you'd like. That should funny fix your picture issue.

I would also put 1.20b8 on there. There were a couple changes in how PAL mode is handled while in the AVS menu.