Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew Why is SNES homebrew not as popular as NES homebrew?

May 31, 2016 at 3:33:49 AM
A Generic Screenname (0)

< Cherub >
Is there a reason as to why the Super Nintendo isn't as popular a platform for homebrew developers compared to the NES? Not much else to say really, just asking for an answer.

Edited: 06/02/2016 at 12:56 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

May 31, 2016 at 4:40:49 AM
Shiru (0)

(Shiru Shiru) < Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
It is way more difficult to develop for SNES, both code-wise, because the system is complex and powerful, while available tools lacking, underdeveloped and/or unreliable, and especially content-wise, because one person have much more chances to create content (graphics, sound) that will look good/acceptable for the NES, rather than for the SNES. Amount of content in SNES games is also larger, and expectations much higher for SNES games.

May 31, 2016 at 8:30:48 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Because "snes sux"

-------------------------
WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

May 31, 2016 at 8:48:37 AM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Shiru laid it out. It's pretty logical, the more complex the system, the more challenging developing quality content for it. Especially for indie developers who have neither time or money to fully devote to a project.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

May 31, 2016 at 9:31:42 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I think probably another reason is momentum, a lot of folks currently developing games in this scene have amassed experience for the NES which takes a rather mighty will to get ramped up with and develop tools etc. I was considering switching to SNES at one point, and then realized I'd pretty much have to re-do almost everything I'd built up for the NES. Plus all the other reasons cited. Momentum is a hugely important thing in software. When you start out it's easy to think: I WILL MAKE ALL THE THINGS. Then you realize, you probably need to focus on just some of the things. Unless you're lucky and have a living circumstance which allows you to devote nearly your entire life to it, haha!

*edit* So I think if the SNES scene grows, what you will see is new folks heretofore not present in the scene appearing and making the SNES their primary focus. The NES I predict will continue to draw new people simply because of the amount of success stories around, support, and tools available.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 09:38 AM by GradualGames

May 31, 2016 at 9:54:06 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Shiru

It is way more difficult to develop for SNES, both code-wise, because the system is complex and powerful, while available tools lacking, underdeveloped and/or unreliable, and especially content-wise, because one person have much more chances to create content (graphics, sound) that will look good/acceptable for the NES, rather than for the SNES. Amount of content in SNES games is also larger, and expectations much higher for SNES games.
The other corrolary to that, I'd suspect, is that many who might make a game on the scope of where expectations would be for an SNES (graphic detail and variety, overall game size, etc) might just divert those efforts into something with more commercial viability as a PC/modern-console digital release.

Not saying that it applies to everybody, but my personal feeling would be that there are a couple of plateaus of effort, and at each one I'd have different tiers of commercial aspiration.

May 31, 2016 at 2:16:10 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
Originally posted by: A Generic Screenname

Is there a reason as to why the Super Nintendo isn't as popular a platform for homebrew developers compared to the NES?

Sure.

<sarcasm>
When you announce any crap for NES, 10.000+ people go "AwwwmygodwantitASAP...," and throw their money at you on Kickstarter.
When you announce some crap for SNES, ~11 people go "Greatstuffkeepupthegoodwork," and then you're on your own again.
</sarcasm>

IOW: NES homebrew is rewarding stuff. SNES homebrew, for reasons unknown, isn't. I'm afraid that's all there is to it. :/

May 31, 2016 at 2:24:48 PM
Shiru (0)

Russian Federation
Why, https://www.indiegogo.com/project..., and keep in mind that at the time when the campaing started it was going to be merely a Rick Dangerous reskin (plans has changed later on).

May 31, 2016 at 2:33:49 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Ramsis

Originally posted by: A Generic Screenname

Is there a reason as to why the Super Nintendo isn't as popular a platform for homebrew developers compared to the NES?

Sure.

When you announce any crap for NES, 10.000+ people go "AwwwmygodwantitASAP," and throw their money at you on Kickstarter.
When you announce some crap for SNES, ~11 people go "Greatstuffkeepupthegoodwork," and then you're on your own again.

IOW: NES homebrew is rewarding stuff. SNES homebrew, for reasons unknown, isn't. I'm afraid that's all there is to it. :/

Hopefully what is motivating (or demotivating) you is not the relative numbers of people who respond positively verbally or monitarily when you announce a project---your reasons for building your SNES game should come from within.  

May 31, 2016 at 2:35:09 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany

at the time when the campaing started it was going to be merely a Rick Dangerous reskin
Huh? I've known all along that JB is crap, but thanks anyway for reminding me of the fact.  

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 02:40 PM by Ramsis

May 31, 2016 at 2:58:20 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
Originally posted by: GradualGames

your reasons for building your SNES game should come from within.  
Tell that to someone who's just fallen off the turnip truck.

And please realize that I haven't.

May 31, 2016 at 2:59:54 PM
Shiru (0)

Russian Federation
Still, $23K is more than any NES game Kickstarter ever collected (to my knowledge), and it is a lot on its own. This shows that there is some interest in new SNES games.

May 31, 2016 at 3:06:28 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany

This shows that there is some interest in new SNES games.
Yeah, but this (i.e., your claim that "there is some interest in new SNES games") is not the point of this thread at all.  

May 31, 2016 at 3:41:20 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Still, $23K is more than any NES game Kickstarter ever collected (to my knowledge), and it is a lot on its own. This shows that there is some interest in new SNES games.
Super Russian Roulette raised $84k on Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

Granted, it's more of a general "party game" than an ACTUAL NES game, though.

Edited: 05/31/2016 at 03:41 PM by arch_8ngel

May 31, 2016 at 3:42:59 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Is Duck Hunt an actual NES game? haha

May 31, 2016 at 4:12:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Because "snes sux"
I approve of this message   

May 31, 2016 at 4:34:59 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri

Haunted Halloween '86 closed yesterday with over $26K

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

May 31, 2016 at 8:10:20 PM
M-Tee (27)
(M Tee) < Eggplant Wizard >
NES graphics restrictions interest me.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:53:37 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Because "snes sux"
I approve of this message   

Funny how all you die-hard NES fanboys out there are in constant need of bashing the SNES (or whatever other console you might have it in for). Honestly, it's hilarious.  

For the record, I myself am a die-hard SNES fanboy. Still, I've never felt the urge to have a go at any other consoles. And why on Earth would I? I'm glad they exist. All of them. I've enjoyed playing games on them in the past. I have no reason to talk shit about any one of them. Not even for the purpose of teasing. (Maybe that's because I didn't get that whole '90s Console Wars thing in the first place, i.e. back in 1992). And you know what: I'm goddamn glad that I never ever have since then. Because the only thing it ever did was make pros look like idiots all along (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you've missed the '90s European video game magazines).

@bunnyboy, I'm shaking my maned head, seriously. You're a pro, right? So instead of unintentionally coming across like an idiot ... why not contribute some pro stuff to this thread? Just sayin'.  

Edited: 06/01/2016 at 01:55 PM by Ramsis

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:56:48 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Seems like a lot of indirect insults veiled in hoopla. Chill out brah. People are just bustin chops.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:05:38 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
Originally posted by: mattbep

Seems like a lot of indirect insults veiled in hoopla. Chill out brah. People are just bustin chops.
Huh? "Indirect insults?" Re-read my post. I was calling out pros for not acting pro-like.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:10:36 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I don't even know what that means. I must be acting a fool. Don't mind me.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:13:23 PM
Ramsis (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
Originally posted by: mattbep

I don't even know what that means. I must be acting a fool. Don't mind me.
Alright, have it your way.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:13:54 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
If I'm not mistaken, this is NintendoAge. We're here to remember a childhood pasttime. We're here to enhance that pasttime so that it continues to be satisfying into adulthood: whether that be collecting, building repros, building homebrews, or what not. It's all a light-hearted endeavor. And I'd think it is safe to say we are probably all HUGE fans of SNES as well as NES. I may have spent more time playing the SNES and GB in my youth than NES---primarily because my parents did not relent to allow me to have video games until later. I bought a NES AFTER I had the other two systems, haha.

So ramsis chill out man, mattbep is right people are just jabbing and teasing for the heck of it. Of course we all love the SNES, and of course SNES homebrews should be made, and all of us would love to see them made. As for my personal comments, I'm just making predictions based on how the scene has grown, and what I perceive to be the impact of human nature on finishing complex game projects. But if you and others have the resources and determination to make SNES games, I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED. I backed justice beaver and would likely buy your game if you finish it. So chill man   *slaps you on the back in a friendly fashion*

Edited: 06/01/2016 at 02:14 PM by GradualGames

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:18:38 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
SNES sux is a long running joke. Do an NA search for it and you will see. It's all good.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter