Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Kung Fu Contest ends Sunday, 8/25/13 at 10 PM NA time

Aug 18, 2013 at 10:35:33 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  This week's contest is going to be Kung Fu.  Here are the rules:

• Play on Mode A
  • Play until Game Over
  • If you loop the score, you must take a picture right before the loop and right after the loop. This goes for every loop of the score. Failure to provide pictures of a scoring loop will result in the score being disqualified.
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Beat ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 8/25/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 08/26/2013 at 09:24 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:52:56 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I did not get a chance to address this in last week's contest, so I will do it now. When it comes to score submissions, regardless if they are on the console or emulator, if I feel a score will require video proof, I will ask for it. And if I do ask for it, it WILL be required. Failure to provide video or further proof of a score will result in that score being disqualified. Video proof will not be a requirement for the contests because it may be too difficult for some people to be able to do it, but I certainly have the right to ask for it.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:42:27 AM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Well, I thought that you guys would enjoy a video of myself failing at this game, so here you go. I lasted less than two minutes, I hope this qualifies me for a participation point?

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:47:28 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Thanks for clearing that up bimmy. Requiring video just locks too many people out of the contests, and besides, if someone cheats they're banned and all the points on the leader board are adjusted anyway - like what happened with gnarblast. I mean, we're not talking about world records here, this is just for fun...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:28:48 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Krunch

Thanks for clearing that up bimmy. Requiring video just locks too many people out of the contests, and besides, if someone cheats they're banned and all the points on the leader board are adjusted anyway - like what happened with gnarblast. I mean, we're not talking about world records here, this is just for fun...

yeah, if someone wants to cheat, well that is kind of sad in my opinion

this is just for fun and i really enjoy exposure to new games (like palamedes last week) that i would probably never play or know about. I also enjoy getting better at games too.

I completely understand if you need more evidence of something Bimmy, but to everyone else, come on all, no need to cheat.

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:13:58 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
8/25
time to start workin on some qbert!
kungfufinal

Edited: 08/25/2013 at 07:02 PM by fatalfuryspecial

Aug 19, 2013 at 12:19:31 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Made an update to the rules about looping the score, which I forgot to initially post last night.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 19, 2013 at 3:57:04 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I looped it 12 times, can I get grandfathered in? I have a pic of my entire computer monitor. Oh, and just ignore the photoshop, that's for another project

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:10:51 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: EoTN

Well, I thought that you guys would enjoy a video of myself failing at this game, so here you go. I lasted less than two minutes, I hope this qualifies me for a participation point?

No it does not. Your name is not anywhere visible in the video. If you're going to submit a video, it has to be an actual video of your TV or computer monitor. Plus, I don't have time to watch 20 different videos of varying lengths so that's why I ask for pictures.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:54:19 PM
MegaMartyr (35)
(Scott Walker) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
I love this game. I suck at it, but at least i'll get to suck at a game I enjoy. I'm all moved and set up now so I look forward to playing this week.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:51:48 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
In regards to score submissions, I want to make something a little more clear. If someone feels a score is suspicious, regardless if it is on a console or an emulator, please send me a PM regarding the situation. I cannot correct a sitaution if no one brings it to my attention. Yes, I look at every single score that is submitted in detail and it is possible I could overlook something. I'm only human and I'm not perfect. Again, please PM me if you have a problem with a score. Something obvious to you may not be obvious to me and vice versa. It's one thing to ask a participant how they achieved a score and it's another thing to accuse them of score manipulation. Let's not accuse people publicly of cheating or anything like that. If someone doesn't like the way I handle a situation or a decision I make, that's fine. Message me privately about it and don't make it public. These contests are meant to be fun and introduce people to new games they may have never played. These aren't life or death scenarios. Let's keep these contests a fun thing to do.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:09:53 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: dra600n

I looped it 12 times, can I get grandfathered in? I have a pic of my entire computer monitor. Oh, and just ignore the photoshop, that's for another project

I knew it! You dirty stinking rotten cheaty cheat!!! I'm telling purple Ganon!

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:41:37 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

In regards to score submissions, I want to make something a little more clear. If someone feels a score is suspicious, regardless if it is on a console or an emulator, please send me a PM regarding the situation. I cannot correct a sitaution if no one brings it to my attention. Yes, I look at every single score that is submitted in detail and it is possible I could overlook something. I'm only human and I'm not perfect. Again, please PM me if you have a problem with a score. Something obvious to you may not be obvious to me and vice versa. It's one thing to ask a participant how they achieved a score and it's another thing to accuse them of score manipulation. Let's not accuse people publicly of cheating or anything like that. If someone doesn't like the way I handle a situation or a decision I make, that's fine. Message me privately about it and don't make it public. These contests are meant to be fun and introduce people to new games they may have never played. These aren't life or death scenarios. Let's keep these contests a fun thing to do.

I don't trust any emulation scores - be it new members, old members, or members of the mod squad. I think they're all manipulated with how easily it can be done (some emulators freeze when not in focus, scripts can be downloaded and run against them, patched roms with game genie codes, etc).

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:53:17 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

I don't trust any emulation scores - be it new members, old members, or members of the mod squad. I think they're all manipulated with how easily it can be done (some emulators freeze when not in focus, scripts can be downloaded and run against them, patched roms with game genie codes, etc).

Just because someone is using an emulator doesn't mean they are instantly cheating.  I've made my ruling and that's the way it's going to be.  Those who don't like it don't have to play in the contests.  And this is the kind of thing I was just talking about in my previous post.  PM this kind of thing to me and do not make it public.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:05:00 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Everyone is free to not trust the scores others post. If something seems fishy, feel free to PM bimmy about it, but keep any accusations off of the forum. When bimmy makes a ruling, it is final. Do not argue with him, or you will get a PM from me.

The contest is supposed to be fun and promote community spirit, so please, let's stop with the drama. Yes, it is easier to cheat on emulators, but it is possible to cheat on consoles as well. Many of the pictures posted in the contests don't include the hardware with the game in them, either, and yet I still don't think we should have to require such pictures. Let's stick together as a community. If there are cheaters here, it will only be a matter of time before what they are doing catches up with them.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:02:05 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Dang,and I was going to post my 999,999 score that I got on stage 1 of the first loop. It's legit I swear!

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:03:52 AM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

I'm not perfect

W-what?

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:41:04 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

Everyone is free to not trust the scores others post. If something seems fishy, feel free to PM bimmy about it, but keep any accusations off of the forum. When bimmy makes a ruling, it is final. Do not argue with him, or you will get a PM from me.

The contest is supposed to be fun and promote community spirit, so please, let's stop with the drama. Yes, it is easier to cheat on emulators, but it is possible to cheat on consoles as well. Many of the pictures posted in the contests don't include the hardware with the game in them, either, and yet I still don't think we should have to require such pictures. Let's stick together as a community. If there are cheaters here, it will only be a matter of time before what they are doing catches up with them.

I didn't make any accusations, now did I? I expressed my dislike for emulator scores and gave my reason. I didn't call anyone out, I didn't name any names, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to post this.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:22:50 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

I couldn't take a picture in time before the game over screen went away, so I took one of the high score after a new game. If I need to take a new pic, I can still do. I'll be looking in again before tomorrow night.

I only had until tomorrow night to get a score up and I'm going to be pressed for time as is, so I'll just take the participation point again. I only played this game once previously (my brother bought this a while ago) but it's a cool little game.

I said it a while back, but I'm going to be gone for a little while. Sadly, I'll be missing Q*bert, especially after getting top tens with Joust and Mario Bros., but I'll be back for Ghosts N' Goblins, although just for the participation point since I suck in that.

Also, I just want to say after reading the last few comments, I believe Bimmy got his point across and I think it's time to drop it before any more hostility or misunderstandings happen. I love the contests and it lets me interact with others and make some new friends and acquaintances and I don't want the relationships between members to start going down the drain because of some comments or misunderstandings. So before I go, I'll leave this:

And if you don't stop, I'll add more hippie music when I get back!

Edited: 08/20/2013 at 02:23 PM by EgasKrad

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:26:25 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Krunch

I'm not perfect

W-what?

Let me rephrase that.  I'm not perfect....but only at Double Dragon 2

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:34:23 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

And if you don't stop, I'll add more hippie music when I get back!

Please do! Next time throw down the Jefferson Airplane version though

Edited: 08/20/2013 at 02:35 PM by Krunch

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:23:27 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:26:22 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
EDIT: New score 08.22.13 1:08pm

4th level, 3nd time through...

Edited: 08/22/2013 at 01:08 PM by mattyjmania

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:10:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Hey bimmy,maybe we should pause the game right before the game over on the last life and take a picture as you really can't see the high score in red in a couple of posts that well as compared to the current score in green. At least on my phone it's pretty hard to se a couple of them.

Edited: 08/21/2013 at 07:14 PM by gutsman004

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:07:33 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
181,060 I beat the game once, and died on level two. Not much to say, but the game's pretty fun once you get used to it. I'm not so good with the timing, so I'm not likely to crack the top ten this week, but I'll give it another go or two. Oh well, there's always next week!