Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 3/11/18 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:57:57 PM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland

-------------------------
> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:25:35 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Played it once last night to gauge if I could compete for 1st with marginal effort, but only got 180,000. Dunno what all tricks go into 350,000+ and I guess it shall remain a mystery

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:44:25 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Kickle_Mold

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 03/07/2018 at 05:44 PM by SuperJimtendo

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:13:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
EDIT: Argh. If only I had one more life to spare, I'd be ahead of arn right now. Still I'm happy that I broke 200k.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 03/08/2018 at 06:13 PM by mbd39

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:32:56 AM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I guess I should do this week's comic page, but why?

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:51:13 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Played it once last night to gauge if I could compete for 1st with marginal effort, but only got 180,000. Dunno what all tricks go into 350,000+ and I guess it shall remain a mystery
I played around for about an hour and never broke 100k. 

the grinder needs time to grind...

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:54:40 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

I guess I should do this week's comic page, but why?

Because the fate of the universe depends on it!!!!!

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:46:55 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Update: Now I'm first place unless arn suddenly pops up with a 300k score.

This time I was fortunate enough to reach the final section with all three lives which allowed me to burn a couple lives headbutting the lucrative enemies there.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:57:28 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: mbd39

I have a suggestion for the bonus. How about making it 50k for two lives remaining and 100k for all three?

That provides incentive to try to beat the game without dying. Otherwise it's worth more points to burn lives (if you're good at point pressing) than what you'd gain from the bonus. It would also make the contest more fun because then a good chunk of your score would come from beating the game rather than point pressing.

EDIT: If you disagree with my reasoning or think that it's too late for a rules change then that's fine.

I would love to see a secret bonus in a contest. Maybe give some clue on what it is so it’s not completely obtuse.

This is a good idea for a next contest. In fact, I thought about something similar when I saw the bonus rule, because at 10k per life it is actually a diversion from the points you can make by strategically burning lives making points.

All in all, it is sorta more challenging to beat the game while burning your extra lives for points, but having a super extra for lives left is definitely an idea for the future.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:01:51 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I almost beat the game, then my rabbit chewed through my controller cord.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:03:31 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I have a suggestion for the bonus. How about making it 50k for two lives remaining and 100k for all three?

That provides incentive to try to beat the game without dying. Otherwise it's worth more points to burn lives (if you're good at point pressing) than what you'd gain from the bonus. It would also make the contest more fun because then a good chunk of your score would come from beating the game rather than point pressing.

EDIT: If you disagree with my reasoning or think that it's too late for a rules change then that's fine.

I would love to see a secret bonus in a contest. Maybe give some clue on what it is so it’s not completely obtuse.

This is a good idea for a next contest. In fact, I thought about something similar when I saw the bonus rule, because at 10k per life it is actually a diversion from the points you can make by strategically burning lives making points.

All in all, it is sorta more challenging to beat the game while burning your extra lives for points, but having a super extra for lives left is definitely an idea for the future.

I had second thoughts after posting this because I didn't want to make it look like I was being self serving because I had some great no-death score that would benefit from the higher bonus. Trust me, I did not. I just thought that it would make more sense due to how many more points you can get from burning lives.

But I can no-death the game now, so it would be nice for the next high score contest.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:35:54 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I played 4 games tonight. 2 head butting as much as possible and 2 just playing it straight. Although my scores were much higher when head butting than not,it's just more fun and faster using your entire repertoire.

Actually I think,in my opinion,this is one of the few contest games where playing for low score is more enjoyable than playing for high score.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:37:12 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I played 4 games tonight. 2 head butting as much as possible and 2 just playing it straight. Although my scores were much higher when head butting than not,it's just more fun and faster using your entire repertoire.

Actually I think,in my opinion,this is one of the few contest games where playing for low score is more enjoyable than playing for high score.

Agreed. I can play for low score and 1LC the game, but mixing in headbutts which seem to really suck, AND give the most points... it's much slower, tougher, and more tedious/frustrating.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:12:29 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

I had second thoughts after posting this because I didn't want to make it look like I was being self serving because I had some great no-death score that would benefit from the higher bonus. Trust me, I did not. I just thought that it would make more sense due to how many more points you can get from burning lives.

But I can no-death the game now, so it would be nice for the next high score contest.

A secret bonus in a contest with clues sounds like an awesome idea and I will certainly look into doing it.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it with the next contest, as I need to come up with some fun stuff clues and whatnot to make it happen, but it's something I definitely need to make happen down the road.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:33:18 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

I find it to be the same case with Double Dragon 2.
For high score you have to cyclone jump kick everything. For low score, you have a lot more strategies involved.
I had SO much fun breaking the game while drunk last year.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:50:42 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

A secret bonus in a contest with clues sounds like an awesome idea and I will certainly look into doing it.  I wouldn't necessarily expect it with the next contest, as I need to come up with some fun stuff clues and whatnot to make it happen, but it's something I definitely need to make happen down the road.

Not sure how it could be implemented exactly. Of course you couldn’t give away the answer on the forum before the contest was over otherwise you’d give it away to everyone else.Maybe the answers could be PMed to the mods? Idk.  

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:11:44 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

This time I was fortunate enough to reach the final section with all three lives which allowed me to burn a couple lives headbutting the lucrative enemies there.

Nice score!  I'll try a bit more and see what I can do.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:15:31 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Leaderboard updated.  
Mbd39 is looking strong to secure a win this week!

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:44:00 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Nice score!  I'll try a bit more and see what I can do.

The other night I had around 198k and two lives left in the platforming section near the end of the game. Then I accidentally kicked an enemy onto a moving platform which caused the game to reset to the title screen. I've had the same glitch happen during the low score contest and it is very annoying when you are doing well. I was about ready to smash the cart. But then I tried again and got my current score.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:17:05 PM
SilvertongueBullet (5)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Damn, y'all ain't fucking around! These are some high scores for Double Dragon.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:41:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: SilvertongueBullet

For starters just go for 50k.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:59:24 PM
SilvertongueBullet (5)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Originally posted by: SilvertongueBullet

For starters just go for 50k.

width="500" height="280" frameborder="0" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IQQ..." allowfullscreen="">>

lol, 52k was my last score.... Nice wizard reference btw!

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:07:42 PM
Gutling (133)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Finally got a chance to sit down and play. was doing good but accidently sat on boss and his toss off killed me lol. I actually learned how to do the special moves, i dont think i ever knew how to pull them off. Now i just elbow abobos everywhere

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:53:28 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Score.:91470

Shout out to arn for that dope nametag

Edited: 03/09/2018 at 10:54 PM by SuperJimtendo

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:00:14 AM
gutsman004 (126)