Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Why are links black...?

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:06:01 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
It is very difficult to visually distinguish links from other text, currently. Oddly when composing a message, they're blue and have nice underlines---but reading someone else's message, you'd never know links are there unless you hover the mouse over it. This wasn't always the case. Can this be improved?

-------------------------
Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 09:11 AM by GradualGames

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:30:55 PM
M-Tee (27)
(M Tee) < Eggplant Wizard >
I wholeheartedly agree that the current method of displaying links is too similar to standard text.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:23:05 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
THAT'S RACIST YOU BIGOT!!!

JK, I also think having different colour links is a good idea.
Sometimes it takes me a long time to find links on certain posts, especially if they are not URLs, kinda like those in OP's signature

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 03/30/2017 at 07:23 AM by Vectrex28

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:12:35 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
lol @Vectrex
I find it super bizarre and I imagine there's like one css file somewhere that could be changed in 5 minutes (translation: I have no idea what I'm talking about and it's probably built on a framework that is obtuse and would take several hours to find the setting). Please do this, admins   Make the links light blue and underlined like they are in the "compose" mode.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 09:13 AM by GradualGames

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:25:37 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I agree that an easier way to make links more visible would be a nice change.  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:13:38 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Install a script on your web browser called "Stylish" and use the following CSS for "URL's on the Domain: Nintendoage.com"
a {
    font-weight: bold;
}
#acct {
    text-transform: uppercase;
    font-family: "NES Logo", "NintendoAge", Garamond, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
}
.container,
.row,
.navbar-collapse {
    max-width: 1440px;
    margin: 0 auto;
}
.nav li:first-child a {
    padding-left: 0;
}
.clr2 {
    background-color: #f8f8ff;
}
#tblforum tr:nth-child(odd) .clr2 {
    background-color: #fafaff;
}
#intro-headerL {
    background-image: none !important;
    display: none;
}
#intro-headerR {
}
.FTQUOTE {
    width: 100% !important;
    max-width: 100% !important;
    margin: 0 10px 10px 10px;
    padding: 8px 8px 16px;
}
.FTQUOTE br:last-child {
}
.FTQUOTE .FTQUOTE {
    border-left: solid 2px #a0a0a8;
    border-top-left-radius: 0;
    border-bottom-left-radius: 0;
    border-top: none;
    border-bottom: none;
    border-right: none;
}
#top_nav {
    box-shadow: none;
    background: #303038
}
.breadcrumb,
.clr1 {
    background: #f0f0ff;
}
img {
    height: auto !important;
}
a[href*="/users/"] img[src*="http://nintendoagemedia.com/users..."] {
    max-width: 120px !important;
}
.m8t + div img {
    width: auto !important;
    max-height: 120px;
}
.adsbygoogle {
    margin-top: 12px;
    margin-bottom: 24px;
    background: url("https://www.toptal.com/designers/...");
    border-top: solid 1px #e8e8f0;
    border-bottom: solid 1px #e8e8f0;
}
.adsbygoogle ins:first-child {
    padding: 16px !important;
}
#aswift_1_expand {
    margin: 0 auto !important;
    display: block !important;
}
.h5 a {
    color: #f30 !important;
}

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 11:17 AM by PowerPlayers

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:16:47 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Install a script on your web browser called "Stylish" and use the following CSS for "URL's on the Domain: Nintendoage.com"

a {
}
#acct {
    text-transform: uppercase;
    font-family: "NES Logo";
}
.container,
.row,
.navbar-collapse {
    max-width: 1440px;
    margin: 0 auto;
}
.nav li:first-child a {
    padding-left: 0;
}
.clr2 {
    background-color: #f8f8ff;
}
#tblforum tr:nth-child(odd) .clr2 {
    background-color: #fafaff;
}
#intro-headerL {
}
#intro-headerR {
}
#FTQUOTE {
    width: 100% !important;
}
#top_nav {
    box-shadow: none;
    background: #303038
}
.breadcrumb,
.clr1 {
    background: #f0f0ff;
}

No. The site should be fixed. This is the only website I use on a regular basis that has links indistinguishable from regular text. Plus I give it money every month so I feel entitled to ask for a 5 minute change (if it is as simple as I hope it is). Haha

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 10:17 AM by GradualGames

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:20:11 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
i love it. it keeps everything in an aesthetically pleasing uniformity with the implied functionality that everything is clickable because it's a forum and that's the only way to get around the joint.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:24:53 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: zi

i love it. it keeps everything in an aesthetically pleasing uniformity with the implied functionality that everything is clickable because it's a forum and that's the only way to get around the joint.
No. It should be fixed. Man, can't believe more people aren't annoyed by this. Nobody's going to read a thread by making their mouse cursor hover over absolutely *every* word in each post in order to find the links somebody may be trying to share. 

The weirdest part to me is the "compose" windows always show blue links. One always thinks: "Ah, this is a WYSIWYG editor!" Then you post, and your blue links are gone. That's not uniformity, that's simply the admins didn't fix it yet.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:28:16 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Have you tried vintage.nintendoage.com? The links are much more obvious there.

Personally, I dislike the "bootstrap" feel the main site has on desktop, but I'm too lazy to type "vintage.nintendoage.com" most of the time.

I agree that there's a lot of room for improvement on the main site, but there's only so much that one guy can do.

Edit: Also, I updated the script because of an error I had with the quoting. Really helps with nested quotes

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 10:29 AM by PowerPlayers

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:31:22 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania

Personally, I dislike the "bootstrap" feel the main site has on desktop, but I'm too lazy to type "vintage.nintendoage.com" most of the time.

I agree that there's a lot of room for improvement on the main site, but there's only so much that one guy can do.

Edit: Also, I updated the script because of an error I had with the quoting. Really helps with nested quotes

Yeah I know there's not a huge staff or budget for the site. It just seems like one of those things that must be super basic and simple to fix, like one #000000 should be changed to #0011ff  (random guess, no idea what that'd actually look like) somewhere. I know how modern coding is though---things that should be simple are actually a giant mountain of obtuse framework code that you have to head-desk your way through for days before you finally get the simple thing to work the way you want. So if it can't be done, I understand, but, still hoping it's simple as it'd be a big improvement for anybody trying to share links with one another.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:37:21 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Yeah I know there's not a huge staff or budget for the site. It just seems like one of those things that must be super basic and simple to fix, like one #000000 should be changed to #0011ff  (random guess, no idea what that'd actually look like) somewhere. I know how modern coding is though---things that should be simple are actually a giant mountain of obtuse framework code that you have to head-desk your way through for days before you finally get the simple thing to work the way you want. So if it can't be done, I understand, but, still hoping it's simple as it'd be a big improvement for anybody trying to share links with one another.

I proposed this as the redesign a little more than 4 years ago...

It's a nice little refresh from vintage.nintendoage.com, but also more modernized (back then)...I would change very little today.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:41:06 AM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
I just want 6 characters changed in a css file (maybe just 4 since the red component would stay 0 likely, lol). That's all I'm asking for. lol. I feel like that's worth the 20 some odd $ I've given NA so far.  Again: humbly knowing it might not be that simple. I'm at my day job right now trying to do simple shit and it doesn't work, so I get it.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 10:42 AM by GradualGames

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:27:05 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

I just want 6 characters changed in a css file (maybe just 4 since the red component would stay 0 likely, lol). That's all I'm asking for. lol. I feel like that's worth the 20 some odd $ I've given NA so far.  Again: humbly knowing it might not be that simple. I'm at my day job right now trying to do simple shit and it doesn't work, so I get it.
So what you are saying is, you've given to NintendoAge so you think they should fix something for you?  So basically you're owed something because you gave something freely without at the time expectation of anything in return except the continued use of this wonder site?

Please I'm trying to understand the part of your post about the 20 some odd $.

I've given hours and hours out of my time to NintendoAge without expecting a single thing in return.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:31:53 AM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York

Originally posted by: zi

No. 

yes! ::HUGS::

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:04:47 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Paul

So what you are saying is, you've given to NintendoAge so you think they should fix something for you?  So basically you're owed something because you gave something freely without at the time expectation of anything in return except the continued use of this wonder site?

I've given hours and hours out of my time to NintendoAge without expecting a single thing in return.

I did not mean offense from any of my posts, what I said about giving NA money was somewhat in jest. I qualified almost all of my posts with the very sincere comment that I know it's likely not as simple as it probably looks. Take or leave my feedback; I appreciate everything you do and have done. I am certainly curious to know why links are black though; I mean it literally is *the only* site, I think I've ever seen in my life, actually, where you literally cannot tell what are links vs. regular text (within normal forum posts)

BTW, there's a link in the above paragraph. Can anybody find it?  

*edit* to try to convince you of my sincerity I'm upping my monthly donation to NA. *edit* and no I don't expect action upon my request.

Edited: 04/13/2017 at 12:24 PM by GradualGames

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:20:26 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

I did not mean offense from any of my posts, what I said about giving NA money was somewhat in jest. I qualified almost all of my posts with the very sincere comment that I know it's likely not as simple as it probably looks. Take or leave my feedback; I appreciate everything you do and have done. I am certainly curious to know why links are black though; I mean it literally is *the only* site, I think I've ever seen in my life, actually, where you literally cannot tell what are links vs. regular text (within normal forum posts)

*edit* to try to convince you of my sincerity I'm upping my monthly donation to NA.

I can with my custom NintendoAGE CSS script  

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:24:10 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

*edit* to try to convince you of my sincerity I'm upping my monthly donation to NA.

YOu expect me to click on your rickroll link????

Don't look at me to fix it, only one person can, and sometimes there are bigger more important issues to be dealt with and other times well he has a life..    Well I think it's a life, sometimes I think he's a machine sent back in time to create Skynet, but I haven't been able to prove that NA becomes Skynet yet...

I'm sure he'll look at this at some point, but you do have to realize what we think is a 5 minute fix is going to take longer than 5 minutes.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:27:54 PM
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Yep, that's why I repeatedly said I'm sure it's more complicated than it looks--I've done enough modern dev and dipped my toes in the waters of web dev to know this.

I dunno, I think in terms of usability of this site it's pretty high up there. Lots of people share links, sometimes embedded within a post as they are talking (this is very common on forums to just have a link in the middle of a sentence). As it is, these will often get missed. I guess the only workaround is to just paste a link without embedding it with the bbcode syntax so it's obvious where links are, but..it's still odd. I respect whatever decision you and other admins make on this issue and I'm happily giving you a bit more per month "just because" regardless of the outcome.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:30:17 PM
GoldeneyeGamer (25)
(Donald H) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts

*edit* to try to convince you of my sincerity I'm upping my monthly donation to NA. *edit* and no I don't expect action upon my request.
You know how it'll show you the URL of a link if you hover it? I'm glad I remembered that  .

Also, yeah it's a pain in the neck to search for not so obvious URLs, +1.

I'm going to college! Sales thread for funding that's here.
Owner of post 5001 in the Aquarius thread.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:31:58 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I would like to see a change as well.

Best place to give feedback and suggestions is right here, so we're off to a good start. Now just have to hope Dain sees our request and finds the time to implement something.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:03:04 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I agree that it would be nice to have the links in a different color, but it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the site. If it was a simple text change I assume it would have already been done by now. I imagine it is more involved than you'd think.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=