Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I'm (Officially) Done Collecting

Jul 10 at 1:37:34 AM
Nostalgizoid! (25)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
I was never a well-known collector, but I've been a lurker for almost 20 years here and on Digitpress under numerous names. I lost my passion for collecting years ago after life ground me down, but now that I have a wife and daughter its time to pass these displays on to those who would appreciate them most. It's a weird feeling closing this chapter of my life, but I leave with fond memories of hunting down displays and sharing info with fellow display collectors. 

I honestly haven't really been in "the game" for a number of years. I never adapted to social media, I still don't have a Facebook account, and all the new collectors out there have left me in the dust. I'm proud of some of the people I've met who have carried the torch so to speak for collecting Nintendo employee and display items.

To the very well known (ex?) moderator here who's become quite well known in the "industry" that I had a bad falling out with; sorry things ended up the way they did. When you accused me of trying to rip you off when I quoted you what I considered a fair price for my whole collection, it really hurt me. I had considered you a close friend. I leave no lasting ill will to you, but I feel I was taken advantage of after I gave you some incredibly good below market value deals on items. Maybe mistakes were made on both sides.    

Thank you to the friends i've made, you know who you are, that I've traded with and shared finds and honey holes with. 

Copied below from my one of my Ebay listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223581500225?ViewItem=&item=223...

My History

I'm a long time Nintendo fan that began seriously collecting games as part of the first online wave of collectors in the late 90s / early 00s. I was a member of the Digitpress forum before moving to the Nintendoage forum in the late 00s. Unfortunately I ended up selling most of my collection before collecting really took off, but I managed to hold on to some key pieces until now that I've decided its time to part with. 

This leads to my biggest find of all time that I'm finally going public with. In 2008 I became aware of an individual selling a number of incredibly rare Nintendo store displays. After chatting with this person, I found out that his company designed most of Nintendo's store displays from the 80s to the early 00s, and that they had retained samples of most of their displays. I struck a deal to buy the whole lot. It was an overwhelming amount of displays, and if you've kept an eye on my store, I've been selling them for years, mostly my duplicates.

Unfortunately, I've decided its time to sell the last of the items; most of the stuff you see listed are not duplicates and are the cream of the crop that I never wanted to sell. Please see last photo for an (edited) copy of the original purchase agreement.

Jul 10 at 1:43:06 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
You know, I was just looking at that For Display Only GBA box for Mario vs DK that I bought from you (this or last year) about 15 minutes ago. I have always really enjoyed seeing the stuff you posted   I hope you enjoy the next chapter.

-------------------------
Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Jul 10 at 1:50:26 AM
Nostalgizoid! (25)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

You know, I was just looking at that For Display Only GBA box for Mario vs DK that I bought from you (this or last year) about 15 minutes ago. I have always really enjoyed seeing the stuff you posted   I hope you enjoy the next chapter.
Happy you're enjoying it! I still think Nintendo made some of the most beautiful, well designed displays ever made, some of them even transcend into art pieces, especially the stuff from 1990-1995. I used to get this butterflies in my belly type of feeling when I saw a piece I didn't have and I'd go to the ends of the earth to aquire stuff for my collection. I really miss that feeling, I don't know if its the loss of innocence and that I've grown up, or what. If any of you still get that feeling, enjoy it while it lasts!

Jul 10 at 6:47:34 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
For sure the find of a lifetime!!! Unfortunately along the way the pursuit of "things" may create some negativity but it is what it is. Enjoy life and the people who are in it! I would have really liked to see and know more about all the things you had acquired in that find.
Not sure if you shared it or kept it pretty secret. Be nice to share that knowledge with the community and preserve that history. Hopefully it's not just being hoarded in someone's basement. :-)

Jul 10 at 12:58:19 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
good luck. communication is key when deals go south. i know it's not my place, but why even post you had a falling out with someone and that you're done collecting? Maybe contact them directly instead of creating unnecessary drama that nobody knows about? That seems like the right thing to do to me, or just move on and not say anything.

eBay listings here

Jul 10 at 1:33:23 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: qixmaster

good luck. communication is key when deals go south. i know it's not my place, but why even post you had a falling out with someone and that you're done collecting? Maybe contact them directly instead of creating unnecessary drama that nobody knows about? That seems like the right thing to do to me, or just move on and not say anything.

Why not, the guy is being tactful, and he's probably making peace with it all, via his post. I don't particularly see it as drama the way it's presented

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jul 10 at 3:25:48 PM
Nostalgizoid! (25)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

The relevant individuals know whos who and what happened. It's all in the past now. I have no desire to reach out to him directly, as I'm sure he doesn't want to reach out to me either. I'm sure he's too busy with his (apparently quite successful, congrats!) ventures to worry about a nobody like me. I wish him and everyone else I've dealt with well. This thread is more for me to make peace and make my leaving of the hobby in a public place and let people know to keep an eye out for any items they're interested in.