Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2018 NA Weekly Contest Tournament : Second Round Contest ends Sunday, 11/11/18 at 11 PM NA Time

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:35:15 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
When you bring a "14 crt and nes setup to the hotel during a family vacation and no one even questions why because they probably already figured you are in that nintender contest thing.

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 11/06/2018 at 09:35 AM by skinnygrinny

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:57:25 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bertsampson

Originally posted by: mbd39

Maybe it'll be Mighty Bomb Jack. Now there's an underrated game.

Mighty Bomb Jack would be fine.  I'm ok at that one...

I really like that game a lot. Here is an example of a NES game that is better than the arcade version.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:03:19 AM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Originally posted by: gutsman004

And I don't know why,but I get a sinking feeling that the next round of games is going to involve an Adventure Island game.

I was going to predict Adventure Island but it has been played in the final pretty recently. 

They made three of those monstrosities for the nes. Lol.

Actually four...great games!

That's right. Never played the fourth one. Personally I wouldn't say they are great but they are not bad. Still hate the hunger meter.
I only say great because of nostalgia.  I didn't play much of 2 or 3 until more recently, but back in the day, we played the first Adventure Island for hours and hours.  Never did beat it back then, but it was still fun to play.

Honestly, I picked Life Force because I didn't feel like playing Punch-Out!!, and definately not DD2.  It wasn't until you guys started talking about the contest last year that I looked it up and read about the fun you all had figuring out the scoring.
I don’t think AI 2 or 3 is classic enough for a final. I didn’t know there is a fourth. What is it called? Maybe I do know it. 

Bert the life force score solely depends on how many bosses you can execute the glitch on. I’m pretty sure you can loop it three times on one life. 

Id like to see classic DK/jr. on NES in the finals. 

4th game is called Adventure Island IV.  It wasn't released in the US.

I've glitched the bosses a couple times, but it looks like it'll be an easy 2nd round.  I'm not going to try and max the score.

DK Jr. would be ok, another game I think I'm fairly good at.  

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:05:39 AM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Maybe it'll be Mighty Bomb Jack. Now there's an underrated game.

Mighty Bomb Jack would be fine.  I'm ok at that one...

I really like that game a lot. Here is an example of a NES game that is better than the arcade version.
I only played it because of the half time show in Tecmo Bowl.  Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have picked it up until the weekly contest a couple years ago.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:07:59 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

And I don't know why,but I get a sinking feeling that the next round of games is going to involve an Adventure Island game.

I was going to predict Adventure Island but it has been played in the final pretty recently. 

That's right. Never played the fourth one. Personally I wouldn't say they are great but they are not bad. Still hate the hunger meter.
I only say great because of nostalgia.  I didn't play much of 2 or 3 until more recently, but back in the day, we played the first Adventure Island for hours and hours.  Never did beat it back then, but it was still fun to play.

Honestly, I picked Life Force because I didn't feel like playing Punch-Out!!, and definately not DD2.  It wasn't until you guys started talking about the contest last year that I looked it up and read about the fun you all had figuring out the scoring.

That's awesome and Life Force is such an underrated game. Easily a top ten game for me. A game that I never get tired of playing.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:14:37 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I don’t think AI 2 or 3 is classic enough for a final. I didn’t know there is a fourth. What is it called? Maybe I do know it. 

Bert the life force score solely depends on how many bosses you can execute the glitch on. I’m pretty sure you can loop it three times on one life. 

I've glitched the bosses a couple times, but it looks like it'll be an easy 2nd round.  I'm not going to try and max the score.

I don’t think it’s necessary to go all out to be honest. I’m just going to play conservative and cruise. 

I’ve never seriously tried it,but I’ve thought about doing pacifist runs to see how I could do and to see how much harder it would be. I know a few parts on loop 3 would really suck,especially near the end of the last stage.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:21:09 AM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

I don’t think it’s necessary to go all out to be honest. I’m just going to play conservative and cruise. 

I’ve never seriously tried it,but I’ve thought about doing pacifist runs to see how I could do and to see how much harder it would be. I know a few parts on loop 3 would really suck,especially near the end of the last stage.

I'm not nearly as familiar with Life Force as I am with other NES shooters.  Low score seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult.  There's not a lot of bullet hell going on.  Lots of manuevering anyway.  I hate obsticles that you can't kill.  Lots of them in this game.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:34:39 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I was never any good at Life Force. I've never made it past the third stage. At some point I should put in a real effort to beat the game because I feel like I'm missing out.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:17:11 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I was never any good at Life Force. I've never made it past the third stage. At some point I should put in a real effort to beat the game because I feel like I'm missing out.

You are absolutely missing out. I'm biased of course,but the game is so enjoyable. Jackal is another Konami shooter that I believe is way underrated and overlooked.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:24:31 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Jacket is a severely underrated game. I put hundreds of hours in that game growing up.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:36:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I've pretty much shaken off the rust. I should be able to beat DD2 with a good score. But can I do it without dying?

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:27:08 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Kobra been coaching Krunch this week. He has been able to get through two and a half loops with 3 boss glitch bonuses so far. 

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:33:16 PM
bertsampson (11)
Washington

Kobra been coaching Krunch this week. He has been able to get through two and a half loops with 3 boss glitch bonuses so far. 

Well shit...guess I better get on it!  You the greatest teacher ever, Skinny.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:49:52 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Score update. I'm getting close to a no death run. I hate those ninjas. Good luck smick you're gonna need it.

Unfortunately the final boss is also a major PITA.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:57:24 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil

Score update. I'm getting close to a no death run. I hate those ninjas. Good luck smick you're gonna need it.

Just punch him in the face, do a few jump kicks and he is done for!

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:08:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

My biggest issue right now is the stage 8 ninjas. I need to consistently get past them without losing too much health. I know some strats, but those fuckers can really mess you up if the fight gets out of control.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:10:08 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Too bad there's no health refill before you fight your clone. That's quite a gauntlet of enemies with no refill.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:10:25 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

My biggest issue right now is the stage 8 ninjas. I need to consistently get past them without losing too much health. I know some strats, but those fuckers can really mess you up if the fight gets out of control.

Dealing with them without being able to lose lives and energy to make them suicide, for sure.
That part will be interesting to see this week.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:49:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Dealing with them without being able to lose lives and energy to make them suicide, for sure.
That part will be interesting to see this week.

Stage 3 was probably giving me the most trouble until I figured out a consistent strategy for the two Abobos. I find that it's best to walk up to them and then slowly lead them to the door. Time it so that you're at the right side of the door almost before it opens and Abobo gets whisked away. If you just keep to the right side of the door the entire time, there's always a good chance of a cheap shot from Abobo that will immediately end your run.

Edited: 11/06/2018 at 02:50 PM by mbd39

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:00:07 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Still not going all out. I'm just playing for fun so I really don't care if I win or lose. If my score gets beat I'll just go back to playing the Castlevania NES games,Dragon Quest 11,and focusing on winning my fantasy football leagues.

Edited: 11/06/2018 at 05:02 PM by gutsman004

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:03:32 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Ok, I just want to double check something before I get too invested into MTPO. I read the rules, but just form my sake, I want to confirm this picture attached is sufficient for the tournament? Thanks!

Edited: 11/06/2018 at 09:03 PM by Ausden

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:09:29 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: Ausden

Ok, I just want to double check something before I get too invested into MTPO. I read the rules, but just form my sake, I want to confirm this picture attached is sufficient for the tournament? Thanks!

I don’t see anything :/ 

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:09:46 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Cadences!!!

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:10:23 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Scoreboards will be posted later today, but this means I will have to cannibalize Mbd's post on this thread, as a post wasn't reserved for the scoreboard.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:51:09 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Any chance we can get the password for von kaiser? I'm not able to get passed this glass joe guy :/